Author Topic: George BROWN  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Rainyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George BROWN
« on: Thursday 21 March 13 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all firstly sorry for the long post,

Im having a lot of trouble researching an ancestor with a "common" name and im not sure what to do next to find him.

what i know for sure is,
George Brown married Elizabeth Pearce (Edwards) 29 June 1878 NSW Aust
Transcribed from Marriage Cert,
Name: George Brown
Place of Birth: England
Father: John Brown
Mother: Elizabeth (surname not stated)

On Geroge and Elizabeths son birth Cetificate,
Joseph Brown
Born: 17 July 1881
Father: Geroge Brown
Birthplace: Sussex England

I have searched for a birth for George Brown and had an overwhelming amout of records return i cant possibly order each one as that would cost hundreds of dollars.

So i searched Immigration to Australia, this also returned 23 possibilities without more information i cant narrrow these down either.

To try and gain more information i have searched for his death record here in australia and i cant even find that, so i tried a different track and ordered his wife's death record to find out where she was buried, then mannaged to find someone kind enough to visit her grave to see if george was burried with her, unfortunatly this didnt work either. There was no george burried with her or in the same Cemetery.

Im now lost  :(

Can anyone give me a clue as to what to try next?

Thanks
Brown, Sussex
Edwards, Liverpool
Sefton, Lancashire
Garner & Hull, Bedfordshire
Fleming, Scotland
Bauer, Germany
Evans in Dublin

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: George BROWN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rainyk:

This is a tough one  :)

But if George was 31 when his son was born in July 1881 then he should have been born in Sussex in 1850. You would think he could be found on the 1851 UK census living with father John, mother Elizabeth or grandparents etc.

Of the 23 immigration possibilities to Australia are you able to divide them into family groups?

England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Rainyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Sami for looking at this for me, i didnt think of searching the census.

I have searched and forund  these,

3mth old Gwennap, Cornwall, England

1 yo Shoreditch, Middlesex, England

2yo Ashwick, Somerset, England

2yo Whitehaven, Cumberland, England

1yo Blk Notley, Essex, England

I have no idea if any of these locations are in or near Sussex.
Brown, Sussex
Edwards, Liverpool
Sefton, Lancashire
Fleming, Scotland
Bauer, Germany
Evans in Dublin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 03:21 GMT (UK) »
what i know for sure is,
George Brown married Elizabeth Pearce (Edwards) 29 June 1878 NSW Aust
Transcribed from Marriage Cert,
Name: George Brown
Place of Birth: England
Father: John Brown
Mother: Elizabeth (surname not stated)

Hi there,

This lack of info is typical for marriage records held by NSW BDM covering 1856-1895.  The elusive information was collected by the clergy, but not all the information was forwarded to the civil registrar.   BUT  ;D  don't panic, the elusive info is usually found  :)  .....  You have the name of the clergyman, and the denomination (according to the rites of.........) and the place ...... so here's a thread I prepared re those blanks on NSW marriage certs (or on official transcriptions) .....

Fingers crossed this will be of great help ..... 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

NB, it is possible that the mc has been PARTIALLY reconciled, but I should add that some of my NSW couples mcs needed up to FIVE church registers to obtain all the info.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rainyk:

None of those listed were for Sussex. One of them could be right but its still a stab in the dark.

If you can find George's mother's surname by following JM's guidelines you will have a much better chance of finding when and where John Brown and Elizabeth ? married in England. Then it should be easier to find more information from the 1851 and possibly later census.

I'll be interested in hearing how it goes. Best of luck  :)
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have posted on an earlier thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,635834.msg4879974.html#msg4879974

Fingers crossed  ;D  St Barnabas, (C of E) Broadway Sydney NSW  ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Rainyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Majm, thaks for the link to the other thread ill give it a go  :)

Thanks Sami ill give JM's tips a try.

Majm

I posted this here in the hopes that more england researchers may see it and have some new ideas for me.

Iv not had much luch with St Barnabas unfortunatly, ill take a look at the links you have posted in the other thread and see what i can find Thanks

Really apreciate the help guys
Brown, Sussex
Edwards, Liverpool
Sefton, Lancashire
Fleming, Scotland
Bauer, Germany
Evans in Dublin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 08:33 GMT (UK) »
I understand  ;D   its the proverbial BROWN surname that makes it a tad of a colourful search through the NSW records, but without the info that George Brown gave about himself when he was getting married, ...... well it will be like looking for just one needle in ten thousand haystacks.  For example,  I can find a eleven chaps named George Brown in the West Sydney Electorate in 1878 (that covers Broadway); then there's 3 in the Newtown electorate 1878, and the 7 in the East Sydney electorate, then going west out to Parramatta ..... there's 11 surnamed Brown, and NONE of those was named George; and that's before I look at any other electorate in the Sydney basin  ;D 

Cheers,  JM  (I have BROWNs in my tree, and Smiths, Jones, and all the usual suspects  :) )