Author Topic: Plymouth Prisoner  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Emrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Plymouth Prisoner
« on: Tuesday 07 June 05 03:37 BST (UK) »
I have a French ancestor who was captured by the corsaire  (pirate?) "La Charlotte" in the early 1800's.  He was taken to Plymouth and died there in 1808.  His death is recorded in France on his eldest son's marriage certificate. 
Does anyone know where his death would be recorded in the UK; are there any records for this type of prisoner; where could I start looking?
Anything to help me with this conundrum would be very much appreciated.
Julie in Aus 
Ealham, Ealam- Lincs:  Randall, Bates- Berks

Offline hendren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: PLYMOUTH PRISONER
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 05 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie

I live in Plymouth and know that there were French prisoners at Dartmoor prison,  infact they helped to build it, this was around the Napoleonic times.
I don't know where you would find a death record. I don't know if the local Plymouth records office would have any information, if you would like the address let me know
from Maureen,
Stringer Shoreditch Belfast Liverpool
Bradshaw Belfast
Jones Holywell Flintshire
Hendren Ayrshire
Maurer  France Ayrshire

Offline Emrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 05 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Maureen. Thank you for your reply.  I have received some advice that I should try the Stoke Dameral registers but that is not a certainty and several Registers may have to be searched and as I know burial records are fairly scanty possibly it is not worth the money.  I think from what I can read Dartmoor was not opened until 1809 but can't be sure of that fact.  Julie

Offline hendren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 July 05 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie,

You were right Dartmoor Prison didn't open until 1809.
I have come across some information about Millbay Prison, it
housed French prisoners of war.
Millbay is a waterfront area and it seems they could get them off the ships and straight into the prison.  Do you know if your ancestor was buried in Plymouth,
from Maureen.
Stringer Shoreditch Belfast Liverpool
Bradshaw Belfast
Jones Holywell Flintshire
Hendren Ayrshire
Maurer  France Ayrshire

Offline Emrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 05 02:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that info Maureen.  I am presuming he was buried in Plymouth, I've been given no evidence to the contrary.  All my info comes from a very kind gentleman in France who has done heaps of research for my Le Breton family in France. Being in Australia, it is impossible to do it  from here for French records.
My thoughts are with all in the UK since the terrible events of yesterday.
Julie

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 05 03:36 BST (UK) »
Julie:
Just reading your message, do you know if your Le Breton family lived in England? My friend is reseaching the De Bretton family.

Anne
Canada
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline Emrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 July 05 07:10 BST (UK) »
Anne, as far as I know they did not live in England.  So far I have only been able to trace the lines of two members of the French family - they were to Australia and New Zealand.   They came from the Coudeville and Granville areas of France and I have not seen "De Bretton" mentioned in any of the research.
Regards
Julie

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 July 05 07:14 BST (UK) »
The only place you will find a death entry will be the parish registers of the church in Plymouth.  As there probably are a few it would probably be better to try and get a lookup.  If you live close by you could go yourself.  It is also possible that the prison records if he was imprisoned have survived and these would be at the archives also

Gen
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Emrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 July 05 07:24 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, in this instance I am in Australia so personal lookups are not an option.   Julie