Author Topic: Surname Enfield (Colchester Essex)  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Enfield (Colchester Essex)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 May 13 22:04 BST (UK) »
My mother was an Enfield directly related to the people that clairelouise refers to.......I am fully aware there are some anomalies in the information which she has provided and I have attempted in the past to correct them for her.....Basically she has been given incorrect information by John Enfield.

This was uncovered several years ago by another party also researching Enfield and I was provided with information that indicated the original error and how it should be corrected.

It is too protracted to go into in a simple way, but it isn't a mystery or anything like that.

It is correct that John W Enfield was married to Emily Davey.......JW was my great grandfather's brother.

AL

PS....My avatar is my Great Uncle Cecil Enfield's battlefield grave from WW1.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 May 13 00:28 BST (UK) »
Phew, thank you for that!

It often happens that people who are not directly related to / affected by information about a particular person are sloppy in what they present as fact about them. When I first started, I was thrilled to find someone who had identified my grandfather's grandparents (I knew nothing about my grandfather's family really, but had managed to identify his parents and their parents through censuses) -- until I started checking into it and found she had plucked the marriage of a random man with the same name as my grx2 grandfather, who had also married a Mary, out of the GRO index and called them my ancestors. They weren't. What did she care? She was only related by marriage to one of their children's husbands, so it didn't affect her family tree, but it meant a couple of dozen more names to add to it!

Hopefully, clairelouise will get those certificates to confirm it all in her mind, and not keep searching for a grail that doesn't exist. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 May 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
I am 99.999% correct with what I know, because when I first started research on the Enfield family, I was provided with documentation that someone else had obtained while they were researching their link to the family......When we studied the information we quickly identified a family tree by the 'current' John Enfield wasn't quite correct.

...and at the same time, unbeknown to me, another family member on the Enfield side was going down the same road as me, but they were obtaining their information from a completely different source as well, albeit it confirmed what I had discovered.

I have advised clairelouise of this in a detailed fashion, but she seems to choose to ignore it.

AL
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline clairelouise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 June 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
I am 99.999% correct with what I know, because when I first started research on the Enfield family, I was provided with documentation that someone else had obtained while they were researching their link to the family......When we studied the information we quickly identified a family tree by the 'current' John Enfield wasn't quite correct.

...and at the same time, unbeknown to me, another family member on the Enfield side was going down the same road as me, but they were obtaining their information from a completely different source as well, albeit it confirmed what I had discovered.

I have advised clairelouise of this in a detailed fashion, but she seems to choose to ignore it.
Not ignored just not doing this tree anymore.

Not ignored just not going further with this tree, also in future if you want to talk about me like you have don't do it on a public forum.

AL

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 June 13 20:45 BST (UK) »
You have contacted me on several occasions using your different names and each time I have pointed out to you where your errors lie......therefore don't be surprised that I mention it on a public forum where you asked the same question again.

Offline clairelouise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 June 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
I asked the same question again because I wanted clarification on the info you gave me as it didn't tie up with the info I had been given by my mum and uncle. Anyway as I have stated the subject is now closed on this tree .

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 June 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
clairelouise, you asked the question as if you did not already have a ton of information about it that you didn't tell the people reading you had.

People like me spent our time looking for information that AL had given you. It isn't fair to do that.

Until you get your grandparents' marriage certificate and your grandfather's birth certificate, you should not keep asking other people to find answers for you that are right there in those certificates, and that can only be provided by those certificates. You already had all the other information that anybody could find without getting those certificates.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?