Author Topic: Look Up Please for 1861 Hunstanworth Durham  (Read 6706 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up Please for 1861 Hunstanworth Durham
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 March 13 03:50 GMT (UK) »
On same page FreeBMD
Marriages
Sydney Ernest Dent and Dora Turnbull
Dec 1/4 1907 vol 10a page 343

So the Turnbull may have come from Amelia's mother who could be related to Isabella Turnbull.

Births Dec 1/4 1912   
Amelia T  Dent,  mother's maiden name Turnbull,  Lanchester  vol 10a page 697

This is quite a surprise although perhaps not what with so many Turnbull's popping up everywhere.    My maternal line, haplogroup T2b, goes back to a Mary Trumble in Tanfield,  who was gt.grandmother of Elizabeth Oliver born in Fatfield.     It is all beginning to look more like a spider web than a family tree:-)

However there is a sad note:
13876 13849 13849 DENT Dent Amelia Turnbull daughter of Sidney 2 19
John Street, Blackhill Blackhill Cemetery 21 September 1915 Ma 464 Benfieldside

Again much thanks for your continued interest.   Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 March 13 04:42 GMT (UK) »
No problem Malcom, I like the hunt :)

After you have digested the info is there any particular thing you would like help in finding?

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 March 13 05:07 GMT (UK) »

After you have digested the info is there any particular thing you would like help in finding?

That is such a kind offer.    Alas, I feel that my brickwalls are a bit beyond solving.  But then you never know.   Years ago, in the early 1980's I was helping someone in Yorkshire who wanted to find her Willis gt.gt.uncles who came to Australia.    We had no Internet in those days, just the IGI on microfiches and had to go to the Genealogical Society in Melbourne to read that.     But I was able to uncover a heap of information from the Victorian State Library in their newspapers and directories etc.    One of the Willis brothers though seemed to just disappear about 1870 and only reappeared in 1879 for his funeral in Melbourne.     I tracked Benjamin down to Kew cemetery and then could only stand by his grave and whisper, "I've come to a dead end, you'll have to help me now, Benjamin".      At that time working in a travel agency we were able to help people fill in their passport applications.   Within the week one client told me her maiden name was 'Willis' so I told her how I had been looking for this Willis called Benjamin.    "My Grandfather", she replied.   Then I had the whole story of how he had gone to Dunedin in NZ and became a Chef there.   Two months later my client visited Pam in Yorkshire.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 March 13 05:57 GMT (UK) »

As it happens there is something else now, provided it isn't too much trouble and you have access to the 1871 census.    I am following the search for an Isabella Dent on behalf of Ann in New Zealand.   We think that she was born about 1867 in Hunstanworth though the only likely Isabella in UKCensus online is shown as being born in Lanchester.   (1911 UKcensus online gives age as 44).

To confuse matters my own grandmother was another Isabella Dent who was 4 in 1881 and I have that census extract already.

This search stems from Ann's discovery that her grandfather John Thomas Walker married an Isabella Dent in 1913 when he was aged 50.  John then died in 1916.    Whether this is the same Isabella or not it would be interesting to find out who the Isabella Dent's aged 2 (b.Lanchester) and aged 3 (b.Stanhope) were.      I suspect that either one of them may have been the daughter of John and Jane Dent who were in Delves Lane Consett in 1871 (from burial records), or possibly Thomas Dent the father of Edward whom you found in 1861.

Again Thanks for all your help so far,    Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 March 13 00:10 GMT (UK) »
No worries. I will take a look and get back to you. :)  May not be asap as am trying to locate son's luggage which went missing 5 days ago between NZ, Sydney, Abu Dahbi and Paris!!

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 March 13 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Removed what I had written as you had already given the info

I am just working my way around it. be patient ;)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 March 13 00:40 GMT (UK) »
No worries. I will take a look and get back to you. :)  May not be asap as am trying to locate son's luggage which went missing 5 days ago between NZ, Sydney, Abu Dahbi and Paris!!
   Fully understand, just very grateful for your help.    I know too what missing luggage is like.   I've had airlines leave it in Paris, Hong Kong(on arrival in Zurich in February without any warm clothing), Honolulu (they put it with outgoing luggage in the hotel), and in Turkey when we arrived in Istanbul on the Tauern Express and it had been taken off the train at Edirne -took a week to find it and get it to Izmir.)
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 March 13 05:00 GMT (UK) »
You said " I am following the search for an Isabella Dent on behalf of Ann in New Zealand.   We think that she was born about 1867 in Hunstanworth though the only likely Isabella in UKCensus online is shown as being born in Lanchester.   (1911 UKcensus online gives age as 44)."

This Isabella was nee Hardy and married John Dent in Lanchester March 1/4 1893 vol 10a page 349. He born Hunstanworth c1868.
I can't find a death of a John Dent 1911 - 1913 of suitable age which would allow this Isabella Dent to marry John T Walker.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 March 13 06:01 GMT (UK) »
This Isabella was nee Hardy and married John Dent in Lanchester March 1/4 1893 vol 10a page 349. He born Hunstanworth c1868.
I can't find a death of a John Dent 1911 - 1913 of suitable age which would allow this Isabella Dent to marry John T Walker.

Wow.  Feels like one step forward one step back. :-\

I've spent all day today on one of my own Dents, i.e. James Dent son of George and Isabella.  I was really thrown off the scent by wrong transcription shown in a number of census records.  For example James married a Mary and in 1881 there is  John Treworth who was born in the same Yorkshire village as Mary.   Turns out her name was Toward and the village varies from Lanesend to Langsdale to Langisdl to Lunedale in various census.    Lunedale is correct and it was way up in Teesdale, once Yorkshire now Durham.

Lanchester was the registration district for Consett and Blackhill, so I suspect that John and Isabella Dent nee Hardy moved from Hunstanworth to Consett as did so many others from the defunct Lead Mines of Hunstanworth.

How sure are we of John's birth year as 1868?    Just a thought that he may have been a bit older and so one of the other many John Dent's in the 1911 census.    I think Ann in New Zealand is going ahead and ordering the marriage cert for Isabella and John T Walker which of course should solve this mystery.

Again thanks for all of your help.   Malcolm