Author Topic: Eliza Hood  (Read 7440 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Hood
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 March 13 13:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a death for a Harriet McLaughlin which fits in terms of age but the parents are not right, her maiden name appears to be TANNER, not HOOD  :(

Death, Victoria 1877 #6170
Harriet McLAUGHLIN, 56
Father's Name:   Tanner James
Mother's name:   Fanny Fryer
Estimated Birth Year:   abt 1821

PROV has papers for this Harriet and her husband/s but I don't think she is your Harriet.

There are digitised probate papers for William COUPLAND died 14 November 1864, tailor of Thomas St Richmond, in which the executrix states that she is Harriett COUPLAND, widow of William COUPLAND and now wife of Charles McLAUGHLIN, of Ophir St Richmond.  Harriett signs with a cross. Probate was not granted until 1877.

Harriett McLAUGHLIN, d 25 April 1877, of  Ophir St, Richmond.  She leaves all to her husband, no mention of other family  :( This time she signs very shakily  - perhaps as the date of making the will and seeking probate for her former husband are so close to her death she was not well enough to sign properly  ???

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 March 13 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Judith, It was a long shot but I do not think this is my Harriett. She was baptised c 1816.

Thanks for your efforts though.

John

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 March 13 21:08 GMT (UK) »

Harriet Sophia Tanner nee Hood who died and left a son Harry Tanner

Who was Harry's father?

Did he die in Uk?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 March 13 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Sue, Harriet TANNER was shown as a widow in Wandsworth UK in 1851 so presumably Harry's father had died some time before that.  Daughter Eliza born in Oxford abt 1841 , then Harry in Newport, Monmouthshire  abt 1843.  As they seem to have moved I'm not sure where/when Mr Tanner died..

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 March 13 23:46 GMT (UK) »
From John's other thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,322985.10.html

If Henry/Harry Tanner Freeman ended up in Victoria, what are the chances of his brother Frederick Tanner ending up there as well. Born 1839 parents William and Harriet?

I recall seeing William TANNER's death c1843?

Essie

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 25 March 13 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Well remembered, Essie.

Given that Harry was born in Newport abt 1843 this may be William's death (FreeBD)
Deaths Dec qr 1843   
TANNER  William, reg at  Newport M  Vol 26 p74

Judith

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 25 March 13 03:48 GMT (UK) »
John HOOD probably has all this.  :-\ And I'm not sure if he's still looking for Frederick as well.  Never mind - a bit of a hunt won't hurt  :)

I do not see a death index entry for a Frederick TANNER and too many Frederick FREEMANs with no identifying information, in Australia but the index I use is not comprehensive.

Frederick TANNER b abt 1839

In 1841 Frederick is with his parents in Oxford - if Mary is the daughter of William and her age is correct Harriet is not her mother.
William Tanner   35 sailor
Harriott Tanner   20
Mary Tanner   9
Fredick Tanner   4
Eliza Tanner   8 Mo

In 1851 seems that Frederick is with his aunt and uncle still in Oxford - Harriet, Eliza and Harry are in Wandsworth, London - see above.
William Hood   40 superintendent of iron foundry works
Elizabeth Hood   39
Fredrick Hood   3 son
Fredrick Tanner   11 nephew, b Oxford,
Mary Williams   79 mother-in-law
Susan Williams   22 niece
Helen Williams   20 niece

However there is an age discrepancy between 1841 and 1851  ???

Cannot see him on UK censuses after 1851.

Judith

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 25 March 13 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for carrying on. Indeed Harry's father was William and he did die in Newport. As for his brother Frederick I too cannot find him after 1851 but not sure it really matters. He may have gone to Australia! Like most RC's you try to tie up loose ends and your help with Eliza was great. The only other thing I know about Harriet is she was deceased by 1893 when her brother wrote his will stating Harry Tanner the son of my late sister Harriet. So looking for her 1854-93. The aunt and uncle Frederick is with in 1851 is William Elizabeth, the gentleman who wrote the will.

John

Offline leevaughn69

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 31 May 13 22:08 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother's Grandfather was William Tanner he was married to Harriet in 1888. Her maiden name was Jeffries. They had 2 sons. William was chief detective in Newport, South Wales. He was awarded a medal which I still have to this day. It was given to him in 1898.Sir Henry Mather-Jackson and others including the mayor of Newport honored him. He retired April 30 1922 I would have to find out more information if anyone needs it.
Lee Vaughn