Author Topic: Alexander Forbes, Help translate this  (Read 829 times)

Offline tabily

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Forbes, Help translate this
« on: Saturday 23 March 13 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to work out where my convict Alexander Forbes was sent. Please see attached.  He came to Sydney. This is the person he was assigned to (C Brooks)  and which area he was sent. Can you help?.. the others around are quite clear..ie/ Goat Island, Bong Bong, Sydney , But I am not sure on location?? Any help much appreciated. Cheers
Beatty - Rathfriland, Ireland, Beattie - Sydney, Australia, Lewin - UK, Australia, Henderson - Scotland/Australia, Winter- Germany/Australia, Leverton - Devon/Australia, Smith, Sisson, Barr - Ireland/Australia, Hayes - Ireland/Australia, Forbes - Scotland/Newcastle, Australia

Offline tabily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Forbes, Help translate this
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 13 07:23 GMT (UK) »
It is OK, worked out it stands for Denham Court
Beatty - Rathfriland, Ireland, Beattie - Sydney, Australia, Lewin - UK, Australia, Henderson - Scotland/Australia, Winter- Germany/Australia, Leverton - Devon/Australia, Smith, Sisson, Barr - Ireland/Australia, Hayes - Ireland/Australia, Forbes - Scotland/Newcastle, Australia

Offline mahalia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 13 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Denham Court is south west of Sydney about 40 klms and is now considered a Sydney suburb but of course in convict times it was out in the sticks.  Denham Court was named after the 500 acre (200ha) land grant given to Richard Atkins, in 1810.

This link might be of interest to you -  http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an2723147

Cheers

Maureen

The Scribbly Bark Poet
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Check out my blog site here:

http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

searching for information on Lyonell Fildes - Lancashire area and the Bower/Jacklin family - Middlesex area related to Victor George Bower Jacklin also information relating to Winifred Jacklin nee Clark also William Young Clark and Emily Clarke nee Gristwood from the Surrey area around Chalfont St Giles

Information on Clifford family from Lithgow area of NSW with links to UK
Information on Dobe famil

Offline tabily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 13 04:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maureen! Much appreciated.. Just have to work out if that is my Alexander Forbes! and if it is, how he got to Newcastle!!