Author Topic: Robert Gibson b:1835 Gateshead  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Gibson b:1835 Gateshead
« on: Saturday 23 March 13 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fellow AA (Ancestry Anonymous) members,

Trying to lock this one down.
Father Archibald Gibson
Mother Jane Muras
According to 1841(Gateshead) census Robert was born in 1835, making him 6yrs.,  but the 1851 (Newcastle) census gives his age as 10yrs making his birth to be 1841 (however it also gives an occupation as "Glass Cutter"), so I tend to believe he should have been listed as 16yrs in 1851.

The issue is that I can not find him after 1851. His mother died in 1849 and his father in 1858.
His 2 siblings John and Sarah Muras I have fully traced but  Robert remains elusive.

The naming conventions seem to have been followed as the names Archibald, Jane, Muras and Robert have all been used in later generations into the present day.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Gibson b:1835 Gateshead
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out these deaths ?

Deaths Jun 1843   
GIBSON Robert Newcastle Tyne 25 252

Deaths Sep 1846 
Gibson Robert Newcastle upon Tyne 25 326

Deaths Mar 1849 
Gibson Robert Newcastle T 25 272

Deaths Sep 1851 
GIBSON Robert  Newcastle T 25 229
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 March 13 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davidft,

The 1st 3 yes as I have Robert in the 1851 census.  The 1851 death I have no way to determine if it is him unless I send for the certificate.  His father was still alive then so I would imagine he would have signed it somewhere, as Robert was only 16yrs.  There are so many Robert Gibsons round that it may not be possible to track him without more information I think.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 March 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I put the wrong 10 years up. I meant to put the ones below. I do think the way forward is to eliminate as many deaths as you can, which given there are quite a few Robert Gibson's around isn't going to be easy. I guess you could go (if convenient) to one of the archives that have copies of the parish records. Some of the Newcastle records for this period are on the browsable records on familysearch so it would be worth going through them. Also worth regularly checking freereg.org.uk and durhamrecordsonline as the update their sites with new records frequently

Deaths Sep 1851
GIBSON Robert Newcastle T 25 229

Deaths Mar 1856
Gibson Robert Newcastle T 10b 59

Deaths Dec 1856   
Gibson Robert Newcastle upon Tyne 10b 6

Deaths Jun 1859 
GIBSON Robert Newcastle T 10b 45

Deaths Dec 1860   
Gibson Robert Newcastle T 10b 70
Gibson Robert Newcastle T 10b 70

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 13 13:31 GMT (UK) »

Hi,
Found this
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQCK-FC3

Here is a Robert in 1881 (Newcastle) Many of his children seem to follow the family naming convention (Sarah, Robert, Archibald), so this is a possibility. Still checking this line

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 13 13:42 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth of a Robert Gibson in the birth registers for the DEC quarter 1841 at Bewcastle. I found a baptism on family search late in December 1841 ar All Saints, Newcastle and the father was a matthew, did Archibald have a brother Matthew if so the 1881 Robert you found could be the son of matthew and a relation, but not son, to Archibald

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 March 13 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 My line comes down through Archibald to son John (Robert's brother) to William Archibald to Robert Muras Gibson (no Matthews appear anywhere in my tree, so I do not think the Robert you found is connected) (but it is still a line to be eliminated).

Interesting but I have found that Robert's son Archibald (1881 census) had a middle name of Muras, so I think I am now on the correct track again.
Thanks for your help as you caused me to think outside of the date range of 1861, leading me to 1881 census.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 March 13 14:14 GMT (UK) »
here are two baptisms on family search
St Marys Clayton Street,
Archiebaldus Gibson,21st July 1875
father Roberti Gibson,mother Jana Duffy

Archibaldus Muras,13th March 1878
same parents,

Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 March 13 14:46 GMT (UK) »
So going by the 1875 /1878 baptisms it suggests the parents are catholics , so if looking for a death for a Robert Gibson may be worth checking catholic registers first