Author Topic: John Samuel Gregory born St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands to Australia  (Read 4144 times)

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

John Samuel Gregory was born in St Helier, Jersey Channel Islands around 1851/2. He was not on the 1851 Channel Is Census but his parents John Samuel & Elizabeth Gregory (nee Desborough) were. He was age 9 on the 1861 census. His parents were born in Lamberton, Devon and Somersetshire, England respectively. Ancestry is not allowing me to check the profiles of my Family Tree for some reason tonight so I can't check the following details. I'm sure his parents were married in the Channel Islands around 1850. They were married on the 1851 Census. His father John Samuel was also known as just Samuel. This was on the 1841 England & Wales Census I believe. His father was also John & Mother Ann I believe.

My great grandfather, John Samuel Gregory, came to Australia but we believe he may have come via Canada. My grandmother who was his daughter-in-law said he was French-Canadian. He died when my grandfather was 2 years of age. He was married 3 times. We don't know the first marriage though. He married his 2nd wife in Parramatta, NSW in 1881. She died in 1886. They had a daughter in 1882. He then married for the 3rd time in Fitzroy, Victoria in 1888. My grandfather was the youngest child of his last marriage, James Alfred Gregory born in 1901.

John Samuel Gregory b. St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands 1851/2, died in Balmain, NSW Australia in 1903. His life between the 1861 Channel Islands Census & his marriage in 1881 in Parramatta NSW Australia is a mystery to us still. His death record says he was in the colonies for 31 years. 30 years in NSW & 1 year in Victoria. His 2nd son from his last marriage actually died in Victoria in 1893 and his death record has John Samuel Gregory's handwriting & address at the time. The child had been in Victoria for 5 months and he was 1 year & 5 months old when he died. The address was 24 Lincoln Place, Carlton, Victoria. It's hard to read the occupation but it could be Broker. John Samuel Gregory was named as a Hotel Broker on my grandfather's marriage certificate. He was named as a Hotel waiter on his death record and on his daughter's death record too I believe. He was in San Francisco in November? 1887 when he sent an In Memorium notice to the Sydney Morning Herald on the 1st anniversary of his 2nd wife's death. He also lived at Mansfield Street, Balmain & 22 Waterview Street, Balmain. Ancestry has found records for a John Gregory living with disciples in Canada & also a record for a John Gregory in Darlinghurst Prison NSW Australia in 1880. From his death record he should have arrived in Australia about 1872. There is a John Gregory travelling from Brisbane to Sydney around 1874, I think as well. I have no way of knowing if he came here as a convict. He would have been about 20 or 21 in 1872. There is also a death notice of a Mrs John Gregory in Victoria & the death of a child too I think on Trove, which is the National Library of Australia's digitised newspapers, etc., search engine, I think. I think there was also a John or just J Gregory on a ship to Australia aged 24 (a bit old though I think). There are many many John Gregory's in this world as you can imagine & I have no way of knowing if they are him or not at this point. Thanks in advance if you can find any records of him leaving Jersey, Channel Islands and then later England or Canada to come to Australia. I also have a very old photo of a great grandfather who we believe may have been John Gregory but we don't  know which one, or even if he was a Gregory. The photo looks like the style of a photo I saw on TV that was taken in Guernsey, Channel Islands though.

I think his father died in Jersey and had a livery stable. In 1861 they lived at 94 Rouge Bouillon, St Helier and had a Grocers shop then. John was gone on the 1871 Channel Islands Census records. He had a brother William who stayed in Jersey with his family too I believe, by the Census records. The 4 children were John Samuel, William, James Alfred? and Alice I think.

If anyone can help with any of the missing history or a birth record of John Samuel Gregory, or any of the children of John Samuel Gregory & Elizabeth Desborough or their marriage in the Channel Islands it would be very much appreciated. Thank you for reading this very long post.

Sue

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Samuel Gregory born St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 March 13 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Afraid I can't help with the complexities here but felt I should point out one important fact.

You state that you believe that Samuel was the son of John and Ann and online tree shows link to 1841 census for Exeter.   However, this Samuel - although born the same time - was born in St. Pauls, Exeter and baptised there 13/3/1831.  (Lamerton and Exeter are miles apart).

Your Samuel - on 1861 Census - is quite specific in being born Lamerton, Devon.

There was indeed a Samuel Gregory born there - baptised 23/10/1831 Lamerton, son of a William and Mary.   Siblings were: William bp28/2/1830, Betsey bp.14/4/1833, John bp28/9.1834 (bur.12/4/1835), Mary Anne bp.3/4/1837, Margaret bp18/11/1838 (?think should maybe be 1839 as birth not reg'd until Jun.qtr.1839), Jane bp.6/9/1840, Susan bp.3/10/1842, Soloman bp.5/1/1845 (bur.19/5/1845). (baptisms all on FindMyPast)

The family are at Lamerton on the 1841 Census but for some reason have been recorded as 'Grig'!   Ref. HO107 - 232 - 2 - 6 - 6

William Gregory married Mary Ellis 6/9/1829 Lamerton, Devon.   He was bc.1800/1 and bur. at Lamerton 13/3/1877 aged 77.

I hope you do not mind me pointing this out - these are clearly 2 different Samuels and yours, from 1861 census, is the Lamerton one.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 13 05:40 GMT (UK) »

Annette,
Thank you. I'll look at the 1841 Census again under Grig now. It's usually a spelling variation that throws things out, I've found. I still strongly believe that he was born John Samuel though? He is both John & Samuel on the Channel Islands Census' for 1851/61 & 71. He was John before his son John Samuel was born & Samuel after that in 1861 & 1871. He is named as Father: John Samuel, Livery stable keeper when John Samuel Jnr. died in NSW Australia in 1903.
Again Thanks heaps
Sue

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 08:12 BST (UK) »
Annette,

Thank you for your lead on the 'Grig" surname in the Census. It made all the difference & I have found a link to the John Gregory in Ontario Canada now through the Medland family (1871 Canada census). The Medland family also had links back to Lamerton in the same census as the "Grig" family (1841 English census), i.e., names, ages fitting in. It's a while since I did this & just realised I hadn't updated the post for anyone else seeking this same information. Thanks again for your invaluable help.