Author Topic: Kirkpatricks of Dumfriesshire  (Read 11285 times)

Offline ScotPol

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkpatricks of Dumfriesshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 July 22 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I also have ancestors that are Kirkpatrick and list Watties Neach on ancestry.com.  Mine is Alexander Kirkpatrick born 1670 in Watties Neach.  His wife’s birth place is listed as Dumfries, and his father, George is listed as born in Knoch, Kirkmichael, Scotland.  No idea where that was either.  If you have found anything else, I would be curious as to what you found.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 July 22 21:34 BST (UK) »
I also have ancestors that are Kirkpatrick and list Watties Neach on ancestry.com.  Mine is Alexander Kirkpatrick born 1670 in Watties Neach.  His wife’s birth place is listed as Dumfries, and his father, George is listed as born in Knoch, Kirkmichael, Scotland.  No idea where that was either.  If you have found anything else, I would be curious as to what you found.
Neach doesn't seem to make sense. I wonder if it might be Neuk?

Don't rely on or believe Ancestry. Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and if you can find the original record and see what it says. But be aware that original baptism records won't tell you the birthplaces of the parents, so this looks like someone who has been making assumptions that may not be right.

And you need to know that there are four parishes called Kirkmichael in Scotland. And that Knock is a very common place name element indeed, found all over Scotland.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 July 23 18:20 BST (UK) »
I have a William Kirkpatrick b 1848 Balmaclellan Kirkudbrightshire d 1925 the Stoop Dumfries. His mother Elizabeth Wallace of Gibbs Hill Balmaclellan daughter of Samuel Wallace pursued his father Robert Kirkpatrick a Clogger from Torthorwald in a paternity case which she won and he was forced to pay child maintenance it is mentioned in the Kirk session records at Torthorwald Robert was b 1817 but no idea where he went after 1849 case in 1841 he was living with his mother Agnes Kirkpatrick at Torthorwald village he’s listed again as a Cloggmaker . I saw other records the death of a William Kirkpatrick a Farmer at Barluith Farm Torthorwald b 1791 Dumfriesshire d 1825 buried in Torthorwald Churchyard the sources I looked at show Robert and his siblings were his children and Agnes his wife . Agnes a Kirkpatrick by birth too born circa 1791 death date no idea but I looked at a sister of Robert and her death entry states these are her parents l no idea what happened to Robert on his sons William OPR Baptism at  Balmaclellan it states his name was John so clearly he told some porkies to Elizabeth and the Kirk session records kind of illustrate that . Trying to find William and Agnes births Chris