Author Topic: RUSSELL, Joseph Thomas born Inverness 1869  (Read 3451 times)

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RUSSELL, Joseph Thomas born Inverness 1869
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 April 13 03:34 BST (UK) »
Monica and Imber,

As you suggested I paid my money and have been scouring the Scottish records for the last week and there just doesn't appear any reference to Joseph or his parents there....seeing his fathers occupation is listed as an Engineer, perhaps he and his wife were in Inverness working on the Railway extensions when Joseph was born in 1869, then returned to wherever ..that way they wouldn't show up in Scottish Official Docs - it's pure speculation on my behalf......but to find this family, think I may have to look elsewhere now, outside of Scotland

Appreciate your efforts and assistance - will let you know how I go...
Cheers.......Tom

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 April 13 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again
I’m sorry you have not been able to make any further progress on this query. Further to what we looked at the other day I have given it a little further thought and come up with a scenario, possibly unwelcome, but a distinct possibility. I think I’m correct in saying that the only evidence of Joseph’s origins come from his marriage certificate, a document that originated in Australia and entirely dependent on a statement by Joseph himself? His death certificate cannot be taken as of any great significanace as it’s probably safe to say that it was based on what was said at the time of his marriage.
Turning to the Joseph that Monica found,  I did a little more digging subsequently and was unable to find any UK wide census record of a Joseph recorded as born at Inverness, Dores or similar after 1881. The Joseph who was at Humberston Farm, Dingwall  in 1881 (coincidently I was at Humberston Farm last Friday!)  was no longer to be found. I looked more closely at the 1871 census record.  Although there were 15 persons listed I found that Joseph was clearly attached to the Robertson family. Digging around elsewhere in this part of Scotland I came across other young “boarders”, one of them born in “England”. I then came across this:

http://www.blackshouse.demon.co.uk/Forgotten%20Scots.htm

I am doing no more than suggesting one possible explanation in which Joseph is boarded with a family when even younger than nine. When the 1871 census was taken a birthplace was given by someone  other than him. He is listed as a scholar so went to school in Dores (possibly Aldourie Primary School) but bear in mind that his home was as close to Inverness as it was to Dores. Ten years later he was working just outside Dingwall. His only memory of his origins would be of Dores so that’s what he gave in the census. About that time there was a demand from New Zealand for Scottish farm workers and he took the opportunity.  Arriving in a new country it would be entirely reasoanble for him to build up some sort of identity rather than explain what actually happened. Perhaps the only real fact he could offer was “Inverness”, a major town and more readily understood than a hamlet such as Dores.
As I said, perhaps not a welcome answer but at least a possible one?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 06:30 BST (UK) »
Imber,

I do apologise for not replying to your post sooner but I had not received any notifications from this list and was looking on the UK census one - was not aware you posted here... ???

Thank you for your notes and comments, I agree entirely with the Marriage and Death Certifcate interpretations - your suggestion makes perfect sense given the tracings of Joseph to NZ and then AUS...

The explanation you offer is quite apposite, I had thought similarly given the difficulty in tracing his parents William and Jessie. You could imagine it's not the sort of topic that Joseph would tell his children about and that's probably why there is scant reference to his parents other than the 2 documents mentioned......I do appreciate your comments and tend to think they may be accurate here...that link was enlightening.

I'll go back to the information I have and see if there are any other bits to tie it in with your suggestion.......it's appreciated....Tom

Offline MalcolmR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 April 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I've just started a new thread regarding Alexander Russel born in Inverness in the late 1700s. I can find no evidence that we are related but Thomas, Joseph's second name?, if fairly well used in my family. Please have a look and see what you think. There were not that many Russell families in Inverness around the mid 1800s, but loads in Elgin, Moray. One big family was centred in Petty near Croy, Inverness-shire.

Malcolm   

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 April 13 01:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malcolm.

I'm not 100% sure his middle name was indeed Thomas - that came from family lore but so far all the legal documents and records of him refer as just "Joseph RUSSELL from Inverness"

Initially it doesn't appear there is a connection with your lot but I suppose if you find any reference to a William RUSSELL and Jessie CAMERON, who were his parents, then there's every chance they may be connected because as you say there wouldn't be too many Russell's in Inverness around that time.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find then but if you do - I'd be most grateful for a heads up............Tom

Offline maylor75

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 July 23 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

This is a 10 year old chat so hopefully you still see this. I was reaserching Joseph Thomas on ancestary.com and then googled him this chat came up. Seems we are related.

JT is my great great grandfather on my mothers side.

JT was married to Annie Hawton and they had Dorothy May Russell who married Stanley Chivers who then had my grandfather Leonard Chivers, who then had my Mother.
 hahaha which i know will get confusing but i can send you a screenshot.

Ill be very interested to compare notes and see our connection.

Regards
Mark T