Author Topic: PLEASE_HELP - Nellie McNally born 1917  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE_HELP - Nellie McNally born 1917
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 August 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
It certainly isn't my family.  ;)

If you go to the first page, the first post will be by the person making the initial inquiry.

I would recommend that you take the time to read a complete thread before posting a comment.

Yes, I think if you did a non-specific search it will have picked up on the Bowraville

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Leeroy_2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 12:31 BST (UK) »
Good evening members, thank you to those from many years ago taking the time to reply to this thread. I am writing today, thanks to DNA (and some living relatives that DNA allowed us to be in contact with), to inform you we have answers.

My family search related to my late Grandmother, Nelly McNally’s life. We knew, from the account of my uncle and mother (her two children), that she grew up in an orphanage and had no recollection of her family. A tremendously sad set of circumstances for anyone and it brings me great thinking of the pain she must have experienced in her life.

Recently my mother and I undertook Ancestry DNA’s testing, which identified a living first cousin on our maternal side. We reached out to her and she told us the most incredible story.

My Grandmother was one of 7 children my Great Grandmother had, with 5 of those, including my mother, were born to an Aboriginal Father, John (or Jack) Bell from Blakney Creek area. All 7 carried the McNally name. Sadly 2 of the 7 (a boy & girl) were taken and placed into orphanages. At the time of writing it is unclear why and a mystery I am determined to solve.

In my earlier messages i explained the we did not have a birth certificate for Nelly. This has been explained, albeit a little romantic deceit of my Grandmother 😊 In speaking to my Mum’s cousin, identified through DNA, the girl taken from the family was born 1913 and since being taken has never been seen or heard from since; her name was Lillian (recorded on BDM as Lillia). I reviewed my detail as to how we concluded Nelly was born 1917, I realised this was only ever assumed from my mother’s birth certificate (which listed her age as 43 in 1960). We had birthday cards that listed her birthdate as 14th of February but these cards never listed an age. There didn’t appear to be any solid detail as to her age. I reached out to my uncle and found a ground breaking clue. My uncle’s birth certificate listed her age, in 1945, as 33 years of age (c. 1912 birth date). I considered my Grandfather, who was born in 1918. Could my Grandmother have lied about her age to appear young as a means of impressing him ? I pondered whether the 1913, was my grandmother. I wanted more detail.

Through the upgrade to NSW BDM search facility, I could search the database for an exact birthdate (month & date), I searched 14/02/1913, this confirmed a match for Lillian McNally; that she was born on the 14/02/1913. This to me, in combination with the above, was conclusive prove that my Grandmother was Lillian.

The story does include some mystery, why was her name changed ? I have reached out to AngliCare, who have suggested they have very little records from this era; a formal request has been submitted and I am awaiting their response. Was her name changed when she was put into the orphanage ? I have read this happened. Is this an intention of the orphanage to disguise her true identity. I hope not. Was she removed due to her Aboriginal heritage; I always hope not.

Today I found out her brother, Harold McNally (the boy) was put into an orphanage too. He was taken at the same time of Nelly/Lillian. A very sad set of circumstances.

Thank you again for your earlier replies, helping and reading the update. This is a happy & sad ending to a very special set of circumstances.
BODELL, SYDES, PRIGMORE, DAVIES from Shoreditch, England.
McNALLY from Hawkesbury, North Sydney & Yass.
DAVIDSON from Grafton.
DANIEL from Aberdeen, Scotland
SHERDEN from Leichhardt, Manchester.
GIUFFRE from Santa Marina.
DEHON from New Zealand.
SMITH, BOWERS from Waterloo.
BRADFORD from Dubbo.
ARTZ from Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany.
CAMPBELL, BEATON & McCALLUM form Argyle, Scotland.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 13:47 BST (UK) »
Lily and her older brother Donald (not Harold) were boarded out together in 1920, noted as neglected.  Mary born 1899, the daughter of Patrick, was boarded out in 1912.

https://mhnsw.au/indexes/child-care-and-protection/dependent-children-registers/

Debra  :)

Offline Leeroy_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 February 24 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response. I’ve obtained detail from DCJ re. the removed children. The details state Nellie (whose birth name we have determined to be Lillia @ Lily) was removed as her mother, (which was determined to be, Mary Jane McNALLY (nee CAMPBELL)) was of Immoral Character, as she had formed a de-facto relationship with an Aboriginal man, John BELL from Blakeney Creek (near Yass). Very disappointing, and something I wonder how hard this must have been for the then 7 year old Nellie/Lily.

Researchers, according to the DCJ paperwork, she was fostered to a family known only as Mrs. EVANS from Church Street, Cabramatta. In the 1920s, what Federal Electorate does Cabramatta fall under ? I am aware that it later becomes Fowler, but this is many years later in 1984.
DAVIDSON from Grafton.
DEHON from New Zealand.
BRADFORD from Dubbo.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 February 24 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Here's a longshot from electoral rolls at Church St, Cabramatta

1930, 1935, 1936
John Evans, railway employee
Lily May Evans, home duties

Perhaps this is her death - from  Sydney, Australia, Anglican Parish Registers, Cabramatta Parish
Lily May Evans, occupation OAP,
address: 8 Acacia St, Cabramatta
Death Age   80, b abt 1880
Death Date   26 August 1960
Burial Date   29 Aug. 1960
Burial Place   Rookwood Crematorium

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 February 24 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it could be Judith.
They had a son who married when they were at   Church street Cabramatta

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/76307432

His birth.
EVANS Leonard T
3209/1920
F. John
M.Lily M.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 February 24 05:26 GMT (UK) »
When I look at the Archives NSW record concerning Lily McNally I see 3 people to whom she was boarded out between 1920 and 1923

Mrs Shepherd of Bringally
Mrs L Douglas Webbs Creek Hawkesbury River
Eliz Lee, 20 Carringotn Street Balmain
Drummond House 1923

Perhaps Mrs Evans came later.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Leeroy_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 February 24 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Good evening researchers. I really appreciate your help. She was in the care of Mrs. Evans from Church Street, Cabramatta from 27/12/1923 to her turning of age at 14/02/1931. At least that’s my interpretation of the attached document. I’ve since added the detail of Leonard T. Evans to my family tree (through the guardian connection). My intention now is to reach out to the Evans family. Perhaps they might have some photographs of Nellie/Lily when she was young.

It also clears up the name change from Lily to Nellie. I believe this might be due to Mrs. Evans first name being Lily. Likely to avoid the obvious confusion of having two Lily’s in one house 😊
DAVIDSON from Grafton.
DEHON from New Zealand.
BRADFORD from Dubbo.

Offline Leeroy_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 February 24 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I’ll attached it this time.
DAVIDSON from Grafton.
DEHON from New Zealand.
BRADFORD from Dubbo.