Author Topic: 1880s Watercolour - where (and who is A H Greig)?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1880s Watercolour - where (and who is A H Greig)?
« on: Wednesday 27 March 13 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help with a couple of questions about this watercolour painting, please?

First, where is the scene? It looks to me like somewhere in Scotland, probably the west coast, but it would be nice if someone could confirm that and/or narrow it down to a precise location.

Second, can anyone tell me anything about the artist? There's a signature (cropped from this image) which has unfortunately been cut short during framing, so what remains is "A H Grei..." which I think must be "A H Greig". There's part of a date as well - "188...".

I haven't been able to discover anything about an artist named A H Greig, but does anyone recognise the name, and can you tell me any more about him or her?

Thanks for any help,

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1880s Watercolour - where (and who is A H Greig)?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Could it be AH Green?

1881 has an artist called Alfred H Green  at RG 11  3017  31. 5

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it's him. Having looked online for examples of his work, everything I found was in oils rather than watercolour; and the signature on mine does seem to be "Grei..."  I've managed to get a picture of this (below) - see what you think.

Arthur
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 14:28 GMT (UK) »
He may have been an amateur so may not be officially recorded anywhere as being an artist.

I agree that I can see a Grei rather than a Gree for Green, but don't be too hasty to dismiss an oil painter as not also being a watercolourist. Artists often used various mediums.

You say the name has been cut during framing - it is difficult to see on the image, but might some of the name be hidden behind the frame? Looking more closely I think I can see the edge of the paper ...

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the style and subject matter painted by AHGreen, I don't think this watercolour is of the same style. Can you find an example of the painter AH Green's signature to compare?

To me this doesn't look as old as 1880's, and if the number 188 wasn't written on the back I would have guessed by the style and the writing (which looks quite modern) that it could have been done some time from the 1940's to 1960s. Perhaps 188 was not part of the date of this work?

Can you tell us more about the watercolour?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, a valuer suggested there were thousands of amateur watercolours about.

Unfortunately that's all there is of the name and date. It's not very clear on the image, but the paper has clearly been trimmed before mounting, and what you see off the edge is the back board rather than a mount that's been put over the front.

Arthur

Edit: just seen your next post - I have to go now but will add a bit more later.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify: the signature is on the front of the painting, but the paper was evidently trimmed before mounting, which is why it's not complete.

I forgot to mention in my first post that there is a pencilled note on the back of the mounting board - "Miss Greig" (very rushed handwriting, but I think that's what it says) and the figure 2 underneath. Presumably this was something to do with instructions to the framer. Sorry for omitting that, as it's probably enough to exclude Mr Green. I still wouldn't know, though, whether Miss Greig was the artist, or perhaps the artist's daughter or another female relation who was getting it framed.

With Greig being a Scottish name, I had a look in the 1881 census index for Scotland and found an Ann H and an Agnes H Greig (one married, one single and a governess - but I didn't keep the details of the entries). However, none of my Scottish connections involve the name Greig, or any of the ones I found associated with these entries.

As for the painting's provenance, all I know is that it's been in the family for many years, but I've no idea how it got there or when. One possibility is a man who was a bit of a connoisseur and collector, but he had no Scottish kin. Another possibility is someone English who visited Scotland a lot - did he just happen to see this and like it? Or (less likely in view of the route it took through the family) there's a more distant line with roots in Paisley, a much later member of which lived in Oban for a time.

I think with the artist, since there appear to be no records with that name, the best I can hope for is that now I've posted this, one day someone might find it and recognise it as part of their own family.

So what about the location? I suspect the west coast of Scotland, but that's pretty extensive, and I don't know it enough to be sure.

Arthur

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 22:35 GMT (UK) »
It's an interesting puzzle. Having the surname Greig on the back of the picture has got to be confirmation that the surname is Greig I think. I think it is logical to assume that she and the painter are related or she herself is the artist.

Could be Scotland I agree but I've never been to the west coast so can't comment on location. It does have the 'feel' of Scotland. Those white rocks may give someone a hint of the location.

All of your other theories about the painting sound feasible.

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 March 13 00:02 GMT (UK) »
It reminds me very much of Loch Sunart,  I have no real reason for thinking that except that is where it takes me to!

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.