Author Topic: 1880s Watercolour - where (and who is A H Greig)?  (Read 3689 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1880s Watercolour - where (and who is A H Greig)?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 March 13 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all this - my initial thought had been possibly the Firth of Lorn looking across to Mull, which is very much the same area, but you can't beat local knowledge.

I wasn't too sure about the Loch Sunart idea as there didn't seem to be the same characteristic mountains on the skyline, but Loch Leven and the Pap of Glencoe does seem very likely, perhaps allowing for a slightly different viewpoint and/or a bit of artistic licence.

It still doesn't get me any nearer working out how it came into the family, though - any of the three possible routes I mentioned before would be feasible, given what I know of people and their travels. Still, it's nice to have at least some of the mystery cleared up.

Thanks again,
Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 March 13 14:31 GMT (UK) »

I used to work in that area - those forests were my patch.

Half your luck Mike. It is beautiful.

As you say The Pap is a landmark, and the huge numbers of photos of google bear that out, it makes sense for AH Greig to choose that as a subject for his/her painting.

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 March 13 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Delighted to be of help! 

I remember a wonderful holiday there in a caravan as a child, and it is a place that has stayed very firmly in my mind - so beautiful! Being a sea loch, there were lots of lovely "creatures" to fill our buckets with!!

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 March 13 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi all:

Don't know if this helps any, but I came across a short biography on an architect named James Greig (1867-1907) who was also reputed to have been a fine watercolourist. The time period is right and its possible that others in his family were also artists.

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=206716

England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 March 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this helps any, but I came across a short biography on an architect named James Greig (1867-1907) who was also reputed to have been a fine watercolourist....

Why can I never find these things when I go googling? (I'm sure I tried Greig + watercolour.) One of the problems is that Greig isn't a particularly uncommon name, at least in Scotland, and as there are apparently thousands of amateur watercolours in circulation (or so I've been told), the chance of there being more than one Greig who painted is actually quite high.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 March 13 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arthur,

I know the feeling!   I have felt a right chump on many occasions having searched, found nothing, admitted defeat, asked a question on Rootschat, and then everyone else finds reams!!

You are not alone!!

Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.