Author Topic: Caroline Gager baptised. 24 Nov. 1805  (Read 800 times)

Offline dated connections

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caroline Gager baptised. 24 Nov. 1805
« on: Thursday 28 March 13 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Information on Caroline Gager whose parents were William and Rachael Gager.
She was baptised on 24 November 1805 at Kings Somborne, Hampshire.   It there a chance I could find her marriage and whether she remained in the UK and died there or did she immigrate. Many thanks.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Gager baptised. 24 Nov. 1805
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 13 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi their was this marriage:-

Caroline GAIGER to Henry Lawrence 25th May 1830 Kings Somborne, Hampshire?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 13 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Keyboard 88. That was quick. I was hoping it was going to be a John Holmes.  The spelling difference of Gager, Gaiger, Gagier, are annoying.  Ok now she is Mrs. Lawrence but wonder if there is another marriage after that or if she died as Caroline Lawrence in UK.  Appreciate your help. :D

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Well in the 1851 HO107/1672/242/43 they have a Rachel GAIGER aged 74 b Kingsomborne shown as Mother in Law with them, and in 1861 RG09/688/36/42 she is still with Henry?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 March 13 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Keyboard.  That rules out the possibility of migrating to Australia and remarrying in 1852.
You have saved me a lot of searching.  Appreciate your help.   Just cant find another Caroline Gager, Gaiger, Gagier, born in the UK around 1800 + marrying a John Holmes.  Its a brick wall for sure. :D

Offline fuzzypiano067

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 03:46 GMT (UK) »
I know your post was some years ago but I am on the trail of Caroline Gager also as a possible direct descendent of John Holmes her first husband as I understand it.

All my signals have her being born in Ohio in 1800 and marrying John in 1838.
They had a son George in 1842 and he came to Sydney in 1862.

Have her marrying again in 1852 to William Fletcher in 1852 (a year you mention) and son George went by George Fletcher Holmes or George Fletcher as he like his step-father better than his real father John Holmes.

Do we have something to swap information upon as the John Holmes connection you mention is strong.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat fuzzypiano.

The original poster hasn’t been on here since 2015, but if they still have the same email address they should be notified.

Meanwhile…

Can you please give some detail of the son George Holmes born 1842.
Where was he born?
Do you have birth registration and/or baptism record?
You say George went to Australia in 1862 ..do you have the record for that?
It doesn’t make sense that his mother would go there 10years earlier
What information re his parents is on George’s Australian records?

Offline fuzzypiano067

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I do not hold any copies of documentation but are trying to piece together her life as a lynchpin to my line from chats or trees I have found on web.
Was being baptised 5 years after birth uncommon ?
Attached from WikiTree ponders with whom she accompanied to the USA and seems it might have been (from your work) with Henry Lawrence from whom she separated or divorced there and took up with John Holmes under her maiden name.

This is a copy of query post on Wikitree May 28 2012

Caroline Gager marr. John Holmes. When did she arrive in USA. Born in 1800 in UK 1800

Her children were George, Rosa, Alfred and William.  She later married William Fletcher and she died in Australia 1880.  Dont know how or when she went to the USA.  She was married to a John Holmes (or maybe defacto relationship)

George was supposed to be born in San Francisco in 1845. No records available due to 06 earthquake.  I thought it was a Mexican town then.

Need to find out when Caroline Gager (Gager) Holmes arrived in USA. Either as a single lady and married John in US or as a married woman.

She was born in UK in 1800 accord. to her death certificate 1880 aged 80.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

And later the same day May 28, 2012

John and Caroline Holmes left San Francisco in Sept. 1851 for Australia on "Sarah Abigail" when did they arrive US

Checked records here in Australia for death or divorce of John and Caroline Holmes (nee Gaiger).  The ship "Sarah Abigail" sailed from San Francisco in Sept. 1851 and arrived on Boxing Day (December 26th 1851 to Sydney.  Caroline remarried to William Fletcher in Dec. 1852.   John had been a typefounder.  Checked BDM, Newspapers etc. here in Australia and State Library.  Need to find out where in US they came from.
Children who came to Oz were George, Alfred, Rosa and William.
Caroline's death certificate in 1880 says she was born in 1800 in UK and had 13 children - did the others all stay in the US? or die and were buried there.

Any help appreciated as I think the family came to the US (cant find arrival date) and then left S.F. to try their fortune in Australia.   Any help much appreciated. Thanks

David

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 January 24 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I think there is some confusion on George Fletcher Holmes b. Circa 1845 . According to his Australian  Marriage  certificate 1866 his mother signs Caroline Gager. It is believed she may have been of Scandanavian origin not born in UK nor Ohio. On Georges death certificate says father Hotel Keeper - San Francisco. Details re the other 3 children arriving are correct. Can’t find Australian death cert. for his father John. Caroline Fletcher l’s death certificate May  1880 says she has 13 children??