Author Topic: Brick Wall: TUBERDY/TAUBERDY/TUVETY/TUBBERTY arriving in Aus 1846-1856/58  (Read 5505 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please I am running out of ideas of where to look next.
I am trying to track the immigration of a Bridget TAUBERDY/TUBERDY/TUBBERTY/TUVETY (and numerous of other spelling variants)

Bridget is in Sydney by 1858
(sources: sponsors her daughter, Mary Ann's immigration & an Ellen Tauberdy (no idea how, if she fits in but cannot find her again in Australia) in 1858 on the Stebonheath. DC indicates 1856 abt time of arrival)

Birth:  Tipperary abt 1820 (from DC) to parents Thomas Tobin (labourer) and Catherine Horn (from DC) - birth not yet found.

Married:  John Tuberdy in Ireland abt 1846
(from DC and also her daughter's marriage church register (Sydney 1870) bride's parents are listed as Bridget Tobin and John Tauberdy, cooper).
John is dead by 1856 (as listed on daughter, Mary Ann's passenger record).  I can't find him in NSW BDM ...... can you?

Religion:  Catholic

Residing:  1867 "4 off George Street" Sydney

Death: 26 Oct 1875, 42 Sussex Street.  Informant is her daughter, Mary Ann Christinson.  She died at her daughter's residence.  I have transcription of DC.

A few possibilities:
1.  Bridget & hubby John Tuberdy immigrate together somewhere between 1846-1856/58)- leaving daughter behind to come later with a relative?
2.  Bridget, widow, heads to OZ by herself, leaving young daughter behind?
3.  Bridget is a convict, transported somewhere between 1846-1856/58? Her hubby dies back in Ireland and hence her daughter comes out in 1858 under the care of a relative?

I can't find her on any ships list/passenger list/convict list that works with any of the clues I have.  Can anyone see her?  Or can anyone see any sign of her husband, John in Australia?

Thank you in advance
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall: Tuberdy/Tauberdy/TuvetyTubberty arriving in Aus 1846-1856/58
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 13 02:56 GMT (UK) »

Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 24 October 1899
THE Funeral of Miss ELLEN E. TOBIN will leave 26 Lt. Norton-street, Surry Hills, THIS TUESDAY, at 1.30, for Necropolis.

Is this a sister for your Bridget?

BDM NSW
15584/1899    TOBIN    Ellen E         WATERLOO
parents Thomas and Catherine

Arrival "Kate" 1850 15 October
TOBIN, Bridget 25yrs
TOBIN, Ellen 23yrs houseservant Mitchelson, Co Cork  cannot read/write

Ellen and Bridget both appear on keyname database, but I can only see Ellen on ship record...maybe someone else can see Bridget?

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 13 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cocksie,
My best suggestion is to have a look at the NSW archives site for shipping records hopefully if this link works it will take you straight to the search page. I did a search for the Stebonheath and 1856 -1858 and it bought up
Tubberdy
Ellen, 20 Mary, 10 saying they were sister. They came out in 1858.

I suggest you enter in all the various spellings you know for the family name - but leave the ship/vessel name blank to avoid nil search results. Also give a few years breadth of search.

It may also be possible that they came to another port like Adelaide or Melbourne and didn't end up settling there. Hopped on another ship to Sydney which they made their final destination. In which case they may be on another states shipping list. When it comes to brick walls it pay to think outside the square. If the voyage had been particularly bad

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=9

Hope this helps
Cheers
Mabeljessie
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 March 13 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Wivenhoe, Bridget TOBIN was on the Kate in 1856, Ellen in 1850.  I don't think that Ellen is any relation and she is not the same one as the death.  Her parents were Patrick and Maryann and she was from Cork.   Bridget TUBBERDY's family were from Cahir in Tipperary.

Cocksie the immigration record says that both Mary and Ellen TUBBERDY were Bridget's daughters.  Ellen born c1838 and Mary born c1848.  If Bridget was transported then it wasn't to NSW as it had stopped by then.  A search for Bridget %dy and %ty (just to be on the safe side!) shows nothing in Tasmania either.

Does Bridget's death cert say how long she had been in the colony (sorry, I see you say c1856 arrival), and does it not mention Ellen as being a daughter?

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 March 13 04:36 GMT (UK) »
This baptism is coming up positive for parents Thomas and Catherine.  You need to purchase credits to see the full entry.

Church Baptism
TOBIN, Bridget
Co. Tipperary

http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 March 13 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Cocksie

Bridget Tubberdy is seen again in "Empire" Newspaper (via trove) 28/6/1864
It is a shipping list per "SANDRINGHAM" requesting those listed to join their friends for whom deposits have been made for assisted migration. They were for Single Females, Married People and Single Men.
Her is for:
LANE, Thomas

So you may like to look at the relationship - a cousin or such.
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 March 13 05:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys for all your responses.  Went away camping for a couple of days so only just turned on a computer.
"BDM NSW
15584/1899    TOBIN    Ellen E         WATERLOO
parents Thomas and Catherine
"
This looks interesting so will pursue as a possibility

"Arrival "Kate" 1850 15 October
TOBIN, Bridget 25yrs
TOBIN, Ellen 23yrs houseservant Mitchelson, Co Cork  cannot read/write"

Also interesting ....... but where is Bridget's "marriage" to John Tuberdy?

Mabeljessie
"Ellen, 20 Mary, 10 saying they were sister. They came out in 1858."
Yes, the record does say they were sisters and both with the same surname ...... am just struggling with Ellen's age (given mother's marriage & age information. 

Okay, trawling through further responses and information:
So we have a Bridget Tobin on the Kate in 1856 and an Ellen Tobin in 1850.  This Ellen may (or may not be related to Bridget).  Nothing showing up in Tassie.
Hey ... Debra .... just did look at Bridget's dc in 1875 ..... and saw something I had not noticed (or forgotten) "Children of Marriage "1 female living 1 female deceased"!!!!!  I know Mary Ann is living so ...... the Ellen (alleged sister on the Stebonheath) is dead by 1875 ....... where is her marriage or death then?  New avenue for me to search.

Also to Roots Ireland .... have purchased and looked.  Bridget Tobin bap 21 Feb 1822 St Mary's Parish Clonmel, Tipperary.  Father Thomas Tobin, mother Catherine Kearney (not Horn as granddaughter put down on Bridget's dc ..... but, hey it is a possibilitiy)

My notes have the info on the Thomas Lane and deposit paid by Bridget - I will pursue this further as well.

My "to do list"
1.  Find John Tubberdy's death
2.  Find Ellen Tubberdy's death and/or marriage between 1858 and 1875.
3. Look into the avenues you mention.
Will report back
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 March 13 06:47 BST (UK) »
The immigration record that I am looking at is the list of immigrants as inspected by the Immigration Board.  This document has more information than the passenger manifest.  Information given for both Ellen and Mary states that they are natives of Cahir in Co. Tipperary, parents John and Bridget, father dead, mother in Colony.  Relatives in the Colony: Mother Bridget TUBBERDY living in Sydney.

Bridget sponsored a whole tribe of LANES - Patrick, 20, John, 15, Ellen, 13, and Margaret, 10, in 1858, and Thomas, 19, in 1863.  Unfortunately I can only see a basic manifest which doesn't give parents' names.

"THE Funeral of Miss ELLEN E. TOBIN will leave 26 Lt. Norton-street, Surry Hills, THIS TUESDAY, at 1.30, for Necropolis."

I think this young girl was born in NSW in 1871.

Where was Bridget buried?

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 March 13 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Cocksie,
I't may be interesting to find out on what sort of scheme the Tubberdy girls came out on. By tracking down a bit more detail of the ship, did they come out to work as domestics or were they just sponsored by Bridget.
It was an interesting time in the mid to late 1850's as anti Irish immigration was entering parliament and the papers. The Irish had been seen to dominate immigration figures but also have a lower rate of literacy for immigrants. Some even questioned the morality of the "single female orphans". Like today immigration has always been a political issue and it has been fairly well documented so makes interesting reading. You never know when you can pick up an interesting article which may even shed light on the prejudice your family encountered.

Cheers
mabeljessie
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock