Author Topic: Alexander Paterson  (Read 4762 times)

Offline ashleaze

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mum! Stop looking at dead people!
    • View Profile
Alexander Paterson
« on: Friday 29 March 13 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am new to rootschat.  My brick wall is my 2nd gt grandfather.  I am interested in the birth of Alexander Paterson.  I know from his Chelsea Pension Record that he was a coach painter born in the parish of Stirling.  He signed up for the Royal Engineers on the 25th September 1846 at Glasgow.  After leaving the RE, he lived in South London and from census docs he was born around 1825.  His trade was always as a painter after leaving the RE.  An oddity is in the 1851 census where his birth place is given as Barony and his trade is a stonecutter.  This is whilst he was in the RE and based at Woolwich Barracks.  His marriage gives his fathers name as Charles.  However many searches on scotlandspeople have not located any birth documents.

Searching recently I have made contact with a couple of people who have a possible Charles, his wife and their daughters but there does not appear to be anything linking Alexander to them apart from this is the only Charles they can find in Stirling.  This Charles only appears on the 1841 census. 

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to where to look next.

Thanks

Ash
S.
xxx

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Paterson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 13 12:02 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 entries on the 1851 Census - one is the one you mention who is clearly someone else and the other is your man who is shown as a coach painter and born 'Sterling' (ref. HO107 - 1589 - 438 - 12).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 13 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Check this place out carefully, there is a lot of Info there by Tom Patterson of Stirlingshire
It may help you.

http://tompaterson.co.uk/

James.

Offline ashleaze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 March 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both!  I am amazed that I got a response so quickly  :)
S.
xxx

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 18:30 BST (UK) »
do you know who alexander married.?

T :).

Offline ashleaze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 18:42 BST (UK) »
Alexander married Harriet Thornton.  They married on the 1st July 1851.  From this I get that the father of Alexander is called Charles.

Alexander and Harriet had 5 children, Harriet and Joseph (my gt grandfather) who were born in Australia, and then Ellen, Mary and Alexander.  Alexander died in infancy.

I have found a couple of people on the net who have Alexander and Harriet in their trees but like me they can't find anything out about Charles.
S.
xxx

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 23:40 BST (UK) »
I think the Charles Paterson in Stirling in 1841 could well be yours.   Agreed, you've been unable to find a baptism for Alexander but this Charles and his wife Jean had at least 4 daughters, possibly 5.   There are no baptisms online for these girls either which is why I think Alexander could well belong to this family!   I don't know if Stirling parish baptisms are patchy but I counted, for example, 11 Paterson's on 1851 census who are shown as born in Stirling 1831 to 1841 but on familysearch only 4 baptisms are shown in this period!

Charles Paterson married Janet Mustard 12/12/1818 St. Ninians, Stirlingshire.   (On census records his wife appears as Jean and Jane both variants of Janet).

The youngest daughter Rachel married an Alexander Laing 13/3/1857 Glasgow and the marriage certificate states her parents were Charles Paterson and Jane Mustard.

Janet/Jean/Jane is shown to have been born Alloa, Clackmannan and there are 2 possible baptisms for her:

Janet Mustard b.27/2/1791, bp.13/2/1791 Alloa, Clackmannan dau. of Alexander Mustard and Christian Paton.

Jean Mustard b.15/11/1792, bp.18/11/1792 Alloa,                  ditto

As to Charles - his age on 1841 census suggests birth date 1792-1796.   There are 2 males baptised at St. Ninians to the same couple but Christian names are not shown:

Paterson (male) bp.4/9/1791 St. Ninians, son of Alexander Paterson and Helen Steven

Paterson (male) bp.16/8/1793     ditto                         ditto

Since Charles married St. Ninians, one of these 2 baptisms is probably him.   Following the Scottish tradition of eldest son named after paternal grandfather, this could explain how your Alexander got his name.

I know this is all if's and maybe's but seems a strong scenario to me when there are no baptisms for the known daughters of Charles either.

Annette   
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 04:56 BST (UK) »
the alexander who i believe is in my tree has either elizabeth mcgowan or catherine ferguson as wife so not mine i think.my alexander was shown as deceased in 1874 if that helps.

T.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
UNDERTAKER - as this is not your Alexander and you would like help with him I suggest you start your own thread stating all you know.   The little you have stated is not enough for anyone to help you.   Places, dates are necessary.

Annette
London -  Monk