Author Topic: Durness Parish Register - Part 2  (Read 47205 times)

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register - Part 2
« Reply #234 on: Thursday 13 May 21 19:21 BST (UK) »
wilros has sent me the originals of the 1841 and 1851 census.

In 1841 I read the places named as Balachedrabhin, Charbreak, Regutter, Grudy and Sartgrum.
In 1851 there are only Balach and Grudy.

The Macleod family is in Balachedrabhin in 1841 and Balach in 1851.

Forfarian - returning to this same 1841 Census page we discussed a year ago. Our original discussion concerned the family of Alexander Macleod and Christy Mackay at Balachedrabhin, listed on the first seven lines on Page 1, which is the left hand side of the 1841 census enumeration document in the digital image. Turning to Page 2 on the right hand side of the census image on line 2 is Angus Macleod, age 60, who I believe is Alexander Macleod's father, Angus, born in Durine in 1777, son of Neil Macleod and Jane Campbell, and husband of Janet Ross (younger sister of my 3x GGF John Ross).

My primary question is simple: from the perspective of the enumerator on Sunday 6 June 1841 was Angus Macleod, age 60, a resident of Regutter or Grudy?

My first attempt at deciphering enumeration page 2 is that Angus (line 2) and William Weir (line 1) are part of the group on lines 22-25 on page 1, namely Janet, Bety, and Kity McKay. With this assumption Regutter would be where Angus was counted on 6 June.

My second question is how to translate "F S" as the occupation listed for Bety and Kity McKay.

[wr]
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Thursday 13 May 21 21:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Wilros, I have no idea where I might have filed that census image, so I can't look at it again and try to answer your question.

The FindMyPast transcriber lists him at Regulter. FREECEN doesn't yet have Durness.

'F S' means 'Female Servant'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Thursday 13 May 21 22:07 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, thanks very much!

I read the enumeration page the same way.

Any idea where Regulter/Regutter is located?

[wr]
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Thursday 13 May 21 22:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't know, and in the absence of a transcription on FreeCEN I can't work it out by 'walking' the enumerator's route.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Thursday 13 May 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
Wilros, if you look at John Thomsons atlas of 1832 and follow the River Grudy south south west from the Kyle of Durness you'll find "Regolter".

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400145

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Friday 14 May 21 00:08 BST (UK) »
Wilros, if you look at John Thomsons atlas of 1832 and follow the River Grudy south south west from the Kyle of Durness you'll find "Regolter".

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400145

meanno -

what a beautiful map. i see it, thanks!

looks like thompson has misnamed the dionard the grudy.

looking in thompson's location on the os leisure map i see "Rhigolter" which is also present on the os standard map.

[wr]

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Friday 14 May 21 00:43 BST (UK) »

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 03:49 BST (UK) »
From Durness Register:
Roderick MacLeod, from Sky(e), tacksman of Balnaceil, Mrs. Flora Bethune.  William born 14 Sept 1787.

Mr. Donald Forbes of Ribigiell, Tongue
Miss Christie MacLeod, daur. of Mr. Roderick MacLeod, tacksman of Balnaciell, from the Isle of Sky(e)
marriage 20 Jan 1789.

Mr. Donald Forbes, tacksman of Ribigill and Balnaceil and Christian MacLeod, Flora born 1 Dec 1791
Balnaceil.

Source: Rev. Dr. Donald MacKinnon and Alick Morrison, THE MACLEODS: THE GENEALOGY OF A CLAN, Section III, "MacLeod Cadet Families", Edinburgh, The Clan MacLeod Society, 1970, pp. 191, 196. Roderick MacLeod, 3rd representative, appears frequently in Estate documents in the latter half of the 18th century. He married Flora, born 27th February 1752, younger daughter of the Rev. John Bethune or Beaton, minister of Glenshiel, with issue, 3 daughters.

Obviously, William is missing.

I have a (Lt.) John MacLeod who died "At Skeind Cottage, Melness, Sutherlandshire, on the 2d ultimo (2nd April), Mr John Macleod, formerly of the Forty-second Regiment, at an advance age (of 90)." Thursday,  May 5, 1864 Publication: John O'Groat Journal

John MacLeod (1774-1864) parents Roderick McLeod and Flora McLeod (of Skye.)
Christian MacLeod is a sister to John MacLeod and lived at Skeind House with Maj. Donald Forbes.

Am I stretching things to suggest Flora McLeod is Flora Bethune?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 12:34 BST (UK) »
Ruighaghalldfhir on my Bartholemew's map.  ;D

Skoosh.