Author Topic: Durness Parish Register - Part 2  (Read 47321 times)

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register - Part 2
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 15 September 13 00:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks DJCT, for your help. Hugh's dad was George.( Mom was Elizabeth Sutherland) I am trying to check out the Durness records for when George had Hugh, but my eyes got tired!!!!George was born in Durness area, and moved to Nova Scotia. I'm starting to doubt myself!!!

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 15 September 13 00:55 BST (UK) »
@DJCT the Hugh you refer to may be George's brother?/

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 15 September 13 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Wanda,

Have you come across this posting which appears to refer to your family?
http://genforum.genealogy.com/mackay/messages/468.html
 The poster thinks that George Mackay and Elizabeth Sutherland came from Edrachilles, the next parish.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 15 September 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
IanB, that post was from my Aunt, who has since passed away. I am trying to pick up the trail that she left!

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 15 September 13 18:29 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage of a George McKay from Embo and an Elizabeth Sutherland in Dornoch on 26th March 1809 listed on Scotlandspeople - not sure if that helps. There are no parental or other details in the entry, and the names are far from rare, so this may not be the right family.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 15 September 13 22:20 BST (UK) »
There is also a James Mackay baptised in Dornoch 28 Feb 1818 and an Alexander baptised in Dornoch 22 October 1819, parents George Mackay and Elizabeth Sutherland. (both fairly common names in the county of Sutherland)

Wanda, do you have anything which confirms which parish* they lived in? Why do you think your aunt mentioned Eddrachillis? Most "church" registrations were made in the register of the parish that the event took place.
* at the time of your interest, parishes of the Church of Scotland in the County of Sutherland were: Durness; Tongue; Farr; Eddrachillis; Assynt; Creich; Lairg; Rogart; Clyne; Kildonan; Golspie; & Dornoch. Prior to 1855, each kept its own register.

Also, would you please double-check the date of death for George: you say 1809 but also say that his son, Hugh, was born 1839?

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 16 September 13 00:28 BST (UK) »
Great questions, Ian. I just got ahold of my Aunt's research, and realized that George MacKay was married 3/28/1809 not died then. He actually died in 1876. His wife, Elspeth Elizabeth was born 1790  My Aunt wrote:

Born about 1790, and married in Eddrachilles, Sutherlandshire, Scotland around 1815, to Elizabeth Sutherland. Family came to Shelburne Nova Scotia, about 1836 later to Gladstone, PEI.
 This was confirmed by someone in Canada.
 She never got further up the tree than these 2 on the MacKay side.
On the Sutherland side Elspeth's parents were John Sutherland (born1741) and Christy (born 1745) in Goldspie, Sutherland. They were married 7/15/1766. My Aunt is way smarter than I am, so I am adjusting what I need to. This is so interesting, I am becoming glued to my computer!

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 16 September 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Wanda,
I realize that it is very tempting to try to pursue a line of research that has been started by someone else, especially a relative. However, I can tell you from experience that this method can result in much time being spent following false trails that are based on "hearsay". I think you should consider starting again from a confirmed starting point, i.e. a fact for which you have confirmed documentation.

What documentation is there in your aunt's file? Are there any copies of post-1855 certificates of birth, death, or marriage? Any census extracts? (from what you say, the family appears to have left Scotland before its first census in 1851, but what about Nova Scotia? or PEI?) Is there any confirmation of you aunts assertion that the family lived in the Parish of Eddrachillis? - which Town?
Where did George die in 1876? You have quoted an exact date for the marriage of George and Elizabeth: where did that come from?

I recognize that I am suggesting you retrogress but it is essential to start from something you know for a fact.

Ian

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 16 September 13 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian, I reluctantly agree with you!(reluctantly because I'm a little bit lazy) I didn't see any documentation, although some things would say something like, "confirmed with joe Smith" So I will keep the info that concurs with my own. I think the next step is to reach out to Nova Scotia and Pei, and trace back that way. I really value your input, Ian, so thanks.