Author Topic: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.  (Read 33715 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.
« Reply #27 on: Friday 05 April 13 12:43 BST (UK) »
Ann Knight Bond was born today in 1817 in Denton, Lancs
She married John Keen, a Tile Cutter from Yorkshire, in Manchester Cathedral in 1842, and lived in the Ecclesfield area in Yorkshire.

Ann was my great great great aunt

Ann died in Sept quarter in Wortley district in 1887, and John the following quarter
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 April 13 14:25 BST (UK) »
Daniel Baxter and Eliza Dalby my 6 x g.grandparents married in Little Ponton, Lincolnshire in 1743.  Daniel was a wheelwright.

Hannah Pemberton my 1st cousin twice removed was born in Kingsley, Frodsham, Cheshire in 1873

Rebecca Gilchrist my 1st cousin 4 times removed was baptised at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1842

Mary Woodward another 1st cousin 4 times removed was baptised in Frodsham, Cheshire in 1813.  It's interesting to note that there is nearly 30 years between these two 1st cousins 4 times removed.  Either someone was having babies quite young, or someone else was quite old. ::)

Anna Maria Rawlins (nee Alden) who was born in 1868, John Frederick William Alden who was born in 1871 and Ellen Mary Alden who was born in 1874 were all baptised at the same time in 1874 at Lowestoft, Suffolk.  As the first daughter was baptised at about 14 months old, I don’t know why Anna Maria and John Frederick W weren’t baptised earlier.  They were all children of my g.grandmother from her first marriage (and probably only marriage).  Anna Maria died in 1956 aged 88, having been widowed since 1902, John Frederick William a bosun fell overboard and drowned in the North Sea in 1906 aged 35 and poor little Ellen Mary died in 1876 aged 2 years and 3 months from Rubeola for 7 days and croup for 3 days.

Margaret Litle(Lyttle) my 10 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Grantchester, Cambridge in 1566

John Pemberton my 2 x g.g.uncle died in Witton-cum-Twambrooks, Cheshire in 1837.  The civil parish was abolished in 1894 and became part of Northwich, Cheshire.

Anne Stanton my 5 x g.g.aunt was buried in Rippingale, Lincolnshire in 1736.  She was just over a month old.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 06 April 13 07:16 BST (UK) »
I am breaking my usual habit and ocvering three people today.
Ann Penycod and John Berryman married today in Chertsey in 1758. Neither was young and they had no children
John was a yeoman and brickmaker
Ann left the farm and brick kiln etc to her nephew William Varnden's wife Elizabeth (William himself died shortly afterards so was presumably already at death's door)
William and Elizabeth were my 4 greats grandparents. This Berryman or Penycod link is yet to materialise but the best clue I have.

Mary Bird married Thomas Tomkins today in 1815 in Wacton Herefordshire
Thomas was a carpenter who lived until 1874, Mary until 1870.
They had 8 children. They were my 4 greats grandparents

And finally Jane Tomkins their daughter married William Bishop an ag lab in 1836 in Stanford Bishop Herefordshire - the same day her parents married.
Between 1837 and 1841 they moved to the Broadheath area of Worcestershire. They had 5 children. William lived until 1888 and Jane 1893
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 06 April 13 10:14 BST (UK) »
Born today in Tenterden, Kent in 1836;  my 3xgt. aunt Elizabeth Henman, daughter of William and Sophia (nee Rose). I am descended from Elizabeth's sister Charlotte who was born 2 years later.  Elizabeth married John Ballard, an ag. lab, in 1853 in Tenterden; she had at least 12 children, possibly 15 and died in 1882;  John ended his days in Tenterden Workhouse and died in 1914.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 06 April 13 10:57 BST (UK) »
Baptised 6th April, 1724 in Middleton in Teesdale - William Bland - 7 x great uncle.

I don't have any more BMDs for today but you know those things which make family history such fun, well.................

On April 6th 1887, my 3 x great grandmother, Jane Knight, was convicted of theft and sentenced to six months hard labour in Northallerton Prison.

And - six years later, on April 6th 1893, she suffered exactly the same fate!

She stole items such as boots, yards of shirting material and men's trousers ( from shops, not from men wearing them). She was also convicted for drunkenness on two occasions.

There were other episodes between these two dates but obviously not in the Spring Quarter. ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 06 April 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
Only 3 distant ancestors for today.

Robert John Collett my 6th cousin once removed was born in Brentford, Middlesex in 1904

Joseph Bagshaw my 7x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Nicholas’ Church, Bradfield, Yorkshire in 1652

John Lightfoot my 6 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Holme Cultram, Cumberland in 1707

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 07 April 13 07:14 BST (UK) »
Mary Washington and Isaac Booth married today in 1828 at St Mary's Stockport

They lived in Marple.
They had 13 children, including 2 sets of twins.
Many of the earlier children were baptised across the river in Marple Bridge, Derbyshire at Mill Brow independent.

Isaac was a labourer all his life.
Mary died in 1863, and Isaac in 1878 in Hazel Grove, but still buried in Marple

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 April 13 07:47 BST (UK) »
Born today in Kent in 1861;  a 1st cousin 3R Sophia Ballard, daughter of John and Elizabeth (nee Henman), Elizabeth's birthday was yesterday.  Sadly Sophia lived for just a few months.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 07 April 13 14:49 BST (UK) »
On 7 April,

Joseph Hobson & Elizabeth Lockwood my 2 x g.grandparents were married at The Parish Church in the Parish of Penistone, Yorkshire in 1841.  By chance, whilst scrambling under over grown bushes in St John the Evangelist Church, Denby, Yorkshire churchyard I came across Joseph’s gravestone.  I knew he had been buried there, but I had no idea, until I saw the stone, that Elizabeth was also buried in the grave, as she had died in Manchester. 

James Benson, my 2 x g.g.uncle married Ann Mattinson at St Mary’s Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1855.

Edith Cockett, my aunt (one of my mother’s sisters) and John Conway Case were married  at Harpurhey Methodist Chapel, Rochdale Road, Harpurhey, Manchester in 1928.

James Hobson my 3 x g.g.uncle & Lydia Barrow were married at Almondbury Parish Church, Yorkshire in 1799.

William Collett my 3 x g.grandfather was buried at Union House, Shipmeadow, Suffolk in 1846.  He was 87.  In 1841 he was staying with his married daughter and working as an agricultural labourer, unfortunately, his daughter died not long after the 1841 census was taken, and I assume it was then that William had to go to the workhouse where he died in 1846.

William Bayldon my 7 x g.g.uncle was buried in Huddersfield in 1628.  He was one year old.