Author Topic: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.  (Read 33709 times)

Offline Rosie2012

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 07 April 13 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,  I'm new to the site.  Looking forward to getting to know you all.  My second great grandfather, David Cowley, was born on 17 April 1822
Rosie

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 07 April 13 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie .... welcome !   (My grand-daughter is also a Rosie !)

Today 13 years ago was my mothers funeral; and like the weather today, it was a cold, sunny, crisp day.  She is buried in the churchyard of the church I attend every week, which is an SSSI and full of the most glorious wild flowers, over-looking the River Wye.   

The summer after, her grave was covered with tall ox-eye daisies, which she would have loved .... it puts a whole new meaning to 'pushing up the daisies', of which she would certainly have seen the funny side !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 08 April 13 07:36 BST (UK) »
My great Uncle Percy - George Percy Douglas died today in 1971

He and my great aunt Ethel , who were both unmarried, were left the bakery and lived upstairs.
Ethel was out - probably walking the dog.
George was sitting in fron of the fire when he had a stroke and fell into the fire, dying, he was 86.

He was one of twins.
I learnt recently from an Aunt that he was in the 'Cavalry'. It seems that he may have been in the Horse Artillery in WW1.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 08 April 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Lovely picture, Stonechat. :)

Hello Rosie and welcome to Rootschat and especially to this thread. We're a friendly bunch so do keep posting in here when you have an ancestral anniversary.

On this day in 1814, my 3 x great uncle, John Smith ( ::) family is full of 'em) was baptised in Nairn. His father is my stumbling block on this line and I got all excited a few months ago when it seemed, briefly that we had found a way backwards but it wasn't to be. Still, I have a bit more of an idea where they came from so that's a bonus.

In 1930, Margaret ( Meggie) Lynn, nee Smith, died in Great Ouseburn. She was a 2 x great aunt. I think I have a photograph some where - I'll dig it out.....
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 08 April 13 11:20 BST (UK) »
On 8th April 1859 my GG grand uncle Charles Shearer Brown married Jessie Herd in Kilconquhar, Fife. He was the younger brother of my GG grandmother Rachel and the 3rd child of my 3xG grandparents William Brown and Elisabeth Scott. His father was a mariner from Earlsferry in Fife and Charles takes his name from a mariner who died shortly before his birth.

On 8th April 1896 my great grand aunt Agnes Bell McEwan was born in New Monkland poorhouse to my GG grandmother Hannah Greer. Her father is registered as my GG grandfather Robert McEwan but I doubt this as he had gone to America 2 years previously. He did come back for a time but not I think in time to be any part in this child's conception unless it was a very long pregnancy. The Bell part of her name is also a puzzle as it doesn't play any part in the previous names of either Robert or Hannah's families. There is no record for Hannah applying for poor relief so my thinking is that this birth took place in the hospital wing of the poorhouse and she was not actually a resident.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline CV-S

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 08 April 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, lovely picture put what an awful way to die  :(

8 April 1855, my 5xgreat-grandmother Cornelia Bergman died in Ter Aar, Zuid-Holland aged 74. She was a widow of German tailor Frans Levahrt, who had died in 1836. Cornelia had had a daughter before she was married, who is my ancestor.

8 April 1871, my 4xgreat-grandfather Isaac Tivey died in Dudley, Worcestershire aged 68. His death probably came as a relief. Isaac had a very hard life. He was declared bankrupt and served in debtor's gaol in 1856, and struggled with alcoholism, delirium tremens and a head tumour. He attempted suicide on 7 July 1869 by cutting his throat with a razor, but his thick beard saved him. He was found slumped over a fence in a field called "Soldier's Leascowe" in Snow Hill, Sedgley, Staffordshire. He was arrested and after a trial released into the care of his son and son-in-law in Dudley. He was living with his son, working as a tailor, on the 1871 census, six days before he died.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 08 April 13 12:43 BST (UK) »
On 8 April, 

Eliza Stanton my 2 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Pinchbeck, Lincs in 1832

John Dye my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Mary’s Parish Church, Newton Flotman, Newton, Norfolk in 1821

John Hardy my husband’s 2 x g.grandfather was baptised at St Lawrence Church, Denton, Lancashire in 1821.

George Edward Leighton (Lighton) my 1st cousin 3 times removed was baptised at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1842

Seth Hobson Burgess my 1st cousin once removed was buried in Southern Cemetery, Manchester, in 1914.  He was 3 years old.  At the time of the 1911 census, his parents showed they had had 4 children, but one had died.  Seth was born after the 1911 census, but he too died.  The others all lived to adulthood.  They were my mother’s cousins and she often spoke of them, they are probably on her wedding photographs but I never got her to point out the people there.

John Collett my 1st cousin 3 times removed married Mary Penny at Stoke Damerel, Devon in 1857

Elias Dyke and Catherine Manton my husband’s 4 x g.grandparents married in Budbrooke, Warwick in 1793.

And last but not least my granddaughter Jorgia was born in Manchester, Connecticut in 1997.  Happy 16th Birthday Jorgia.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 08 April 13 18:40 BST (UK) »
Margaret Thatcher died today, 2013 .....
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 08 April 13 18:42 BST (UK) »
I expect reactions will be very mixed.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth