Author Topic: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.  (Read 33707 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 10:16 BST (UK) »
Getting in quite early today, 4 year old granddaughter coming for 2 days - pity I'm not so young as I was when her elder brothers aged 21 and 19 used to come over to play. :(

On 9 April

William Daintree and Margret Porter my 9 x g.grandparents were married at Holy Trinity Church, Cambridgeshire in 1635

Ann Day died my 3 x g.g aunt died in Osbournby, Lincolnshire in 1788.  She was 1 year old.

John Pemberton buried was buried at St Helen’s Church, Witton, Cheshire in 1837

William Wane my 6 x g.grandfather was buried at St Cuthbert’s Church, Aldingham, Lancashire in 1733

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 10:23 BST (UK) »
My 6 x great grandfather John Lee was baptised at Mirfield today in 1671
He married Sarah Mellar and they had 2 children
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Meezer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 12:14 BST (UK) »
My beloved dad Bernard was born on 9th April 1924. He died in 2006 and I think about him every single day. He was my pal and I miss him badly. I wish I could have told him about the family history I've discovered too, sadly my reseach only began after he died - a lesson not to leave things too late to start.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 12:43 BST (UK) »
On April 9th 1886 my great great grandparents Robert McEwan and Hannah Greer (they of the top of the page) married in the Flowerhill parish church manse in Airdrie. He was 20 and she just 16. Robert was born in Coalisland, County Tyrone and Hannah in Drumgelloch, Lanarkshire, though her parents were both Irish. Her mother I know only that she was born in Ireland, at present I don't have a specific location. Her father came from a farming family in Ballinderry, County Antrim. Hannah was their eldest child.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
I have a few deaths and one birth on 9 April

Sadly, my 3rd cousin, Percy Alfred Thomas Godley, died in France during WW1, in 1917, aged only 19. What a waste of a young life.

My 2nd cousin 2 x removed, Leroy J Conquest, died in 1953, in Saginaw, Michigan, USA. 

My husband's maternal grandfather, Archibald John Prior, died in Edmonton, Middlesex, in 1957, aged 82.

Finally, my great uncle, William John Marshall, was born in Deptford, Kent, in 1862.  I wish I could find out more about him, the only one of my maternal grandfather's siblings who I know nothing about after the 1881 census.

Ann
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 07:51 BST (UK) »
Sally Booth, my great great grandmother was born today at Marple in Cheshire in 1830 and baptised later at Mill Brow Independent in Derbyshire.

She married George Jackson at Stockport in 1850.
The first four children did not survive infancy, but she had five more, though one of those died in childbirth as an unmarried mother.

George had moved to Dodworth near Barnsley to become a mine manager in 1861, and Sally and the family had soon followed.

Sally died of an obstructed bowel in 1872 in Dodworth. George moved to nearby Carlton to start a new mine but died of Bright's disease in 1879, and was buried with Sally at Dodworth
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1883 my 4xG grandmother Sarah McVey died in Glasgow City Poorhouse. She is described as a pauper and former cotton winder. Her husband had died 20 years previously and the other two entries on the page, Margaret France and James Henderson were also poorhouse inmates. Sarah was born and married in Ireland and first moved to Scotland sometime after the birth of her son Samuel (my 3x G grandfather) in 1837 and the birth of her next child in 1842 so around the time of the potato famine.
It is a sad end but this certificate gave me her parents and introduced another name into my search, that of Campbell. I do hope they are nothing to do with the treacherous Campbells of Glencoe infamy.

Today would have been my grandmother Elizabeth Wardlaw's birthday. I was only 7 years old when we last saw each other but I still remember the day she gave me a bright red tricycle for my birthday and on which my sister Elizabeth was usually a pillion passenger. I visited her grave in Scotland last summer and with the help of another RCer, Mosstrooper tidied it up and left red roses. I shall do the same again this year.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
On 10 April

William Hobson my 2 x g.g.uncle was born in Lockwood, Almondbury, Yorkshire in 1802

Robert Collettmy 3rd cousin once removed was born in Westleton, Suffolk in 1908

Martha Collett my 4 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Wilby, Suffolk in 1726

Arthur Hobson my g.g.uncle and brother of Enos below was baptised in 1859 at St John the Evangelist Church, Denby, Yorkshire, despite being 3 years older than Enos.  I guess their parents went for a two for one baptism, which is what they did with 2 of their other children.  Interestingly, Ancestry has transcribed the baptism as 10 March, so I’ve checked but the parish record definitely shows 10 April.  I think the transcriber just assumed it was March, because the record above shows a baptism on 7 March.

Enos Hobson my g.g.uncle and brother of Arthur above was also baptised at St John the Evangelist Church, Denby, Yorkshire on the same day as Arthur.  He was just over 2 months old.

Robert Middleton my 4 x g.grandfather died at Millom, Cumberland in 1839.  The cause of his death is just shown on his death certificate as Accidental Death.  I’ve searched for newspaper reports to see if anything shows up, but I’ve been unsuccessful as has a helpful Rootschatter.  Interestingly, his gravestone has been carved with the date he was buried 12 April, rather than the date he died, even though the description of the stone (which I haven’t seen) states “Upright stone, good to read”.  I wonder how often this happened, one of my 4 x g.grandmother’s gravestone shows her as dying in 1808 when she actually died in 1805 and was buried in 1805.

Thomas Hobson, my 2 x g.g.uncle was buried at St John the Evangelist Church, Denby, Yorkshire in 1831.  He was the uncle of Arthur and Enos Hobson above.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 11 April 13 07:28 BST (UK) »
Jane Stilwell and William Chitty married today at Thursley Surrey in 1664.

Jane was from Thursley but William was a yeoman from Godalming.

They had just one son (William Junior) and Jane died in 1701

William remarried Elizabeth Mackrell in Peper Harow in 1705, and died in 1725

William and Jane were my 7 X great grandparents