Author Topic: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.  (Read 33711 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
Lucy Cowper my 4 x g.grandmother was baptised in Bredfield, Suffolk in 1731

John Baxter my 7 x g.grandfather was baptised at Folkingham, Lincolnshire in 1680.  It has been suggested that the Baxters, either his grandfather or his father came from Scotland originally, but nothing has been proved.

Caroline Cass my 1st cousin twice removed was baptised in Hull, Yorkshire in 1865

Elizabeth Hobson my 4 x g.g.aunt was buried at St Peter’s Church, Huddersfield in 1749.  She was 3 years old.

Harry Dawson my husband’s grandfather was buried in Philips Park Cemetery, Manchester in 1917.  In the grave with him is his baby daughter Hilda who died in 1906 aged one, and his baby granddaughter Beryl who died in 1928 as a result of being born prematurely at 7½ months.

George Woodward my 4 x g.grandfather was buried at St Laurence Church, Frodsham, Cheshire in 1817.  No grave has been found, but I assume he was probably buried in the same grave as his wife who died in 1805 – although her gravestone shows 1808 – and that no-one got round to having George’s name put on the gravestone.

Mary Sale my husband’s 3 x g.grandmother was buried at St Lawrence Church, Denton, Lancashire in 1883

Joseph Pemberton my 4 x g.g.uncle was buried at Great Budworth, Cheshire in 1762.  He was 2 years old.

Frederick Pemberton my 2nd cousin once removed and Elsie Davies married in Warrington, Lancashire (as it was then) in 1934

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
Not an ancestor, but a descendent !   Congratulations to my number one son; its his and her first wedding anniversary today !! 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 07:24 BST (UK) »
My great x 4 grandparents Hester Bisley and and Joseph Pierce were married today by Licence in 1764.
The marriage was of the parish of St Gregory by St Paul in London, a church which was destroyed in the Great Fire of London and not rebuilt, so the service was at St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street.

On the licence Joseph was of Colnbrook, Bucks, and Hester of St Gregory by St Paul.

This is a slight oddity as Hester was born in Warfield in Berks. Joseph was apparently not born in Berks. BEst guess is that he & his brother were born in London. (THis would be another thread)

Joseph was a Toll Gate Keeper in COlnbrook.
They had 5 children of whom 4 survived.
On 23rd February 1781, Joseph was brutally murdered at the Toll gate house, apparently for the money taken.
The King offered a reward, but I found no evidence that the killer(s) were apprehended.
JOseph's brother seemed to assist, at his death he clearly owns the house Hester is living in.
Hester finally died back in Warfield in Berks (where she was born)but was buried in Langley (the parish Church for Colnbrook)

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 09:22 BST (UK) »
John Middleton my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Millom Cumberland in 1842

Thomas Lenton Gilchrist my 1st cousin 4 times removed was baptised at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1829.  Lenton was his mother’s maiden name.

Edward Stanton my 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Heckington, Lincolnshire in 1801

Mattias Gaunt another 1st cousin 4 times removed was baptised at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1796

Sarah Hawkins my 5 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Spalding, Lincolnshire in 1698.

William Collett my 3 x g.grandfather died in Union House Workhouse, Shipmeadow, Suffolk, in 1846 aged 87.  In 1841 he was a widower living with a family in Barlow Green, Stradbroke (who might have been his daughter and son in law, I’m still trying to find that out) and working as an agricultural labourer.  I don’t know when he went into the workhouse, I imagine he found it impossible to keep working and supporting himself so he had no option, or maybe his death from “old age” meant he was suffering from something like dementia.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
A 1st cousin 2R born today in 1891 in Islington;  John Robert William Charles Mears son of Robert and Susan (nee Burgess).  Robert had died a few months before John's birth.  John married Ethel May Halls in 1919; the certificate shows him to be a railway porter.  They had 5 children and John died in St. Albans in 1968, twelve years before Ethel.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:33 BST (UK) »
Today in 1888, my 3 x great grandmother, Margaret Daniel ( nee Hay) died at Meadowbank in Peterhead, aged approximately seventy-seven - born c 1811. She was the daughter of Alexander Hay and Isabella Alexander and married James Daniel in 1846, in Cruden, Aberdeenshire.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
Today is the birthday of my dear mother, Joyce Cicely Sims, who passed away April 8th 2008.

Mum was born in Blaina, Monmouthshire in 1931.
Her parents were from Snodland, Kent - her maternal grandfather had moved the family to South Wales seeking work in 1908 - and Steeple Ashton, Wiltshire - her father had moved to the mines of South Wales with his brother, after a short spell working in the Bristol coalfield.

So, 2 generations back, and already 3 counties!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
My dearly loved Grandpa's birthday.  He would have been 113 today and he is still loved and remembered every day.

CJL
Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
 Ireland - East Yorkshire,
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Petts - Yorkshire, Derbyshire,
 Hughes - Yorkshire, Staffordshire,
Blackham - Derbyshire, Staffordshire,
Mason - Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire
Leach - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Driver - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Ambler - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline CV-S

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 April 13 04:23 BST (UK) »
3 April 1747 - my 6xgreat-grandfather, Jacob Kluitenberg, was born in Epe, Gelderland. His parents were Aalbert Jacobs and Fenneke Jansen. His father was a farm worker on a place called Kluitenberg, that's where the name comes from. Jacob was married three times and died in 1810.

3 April 1854 - my 5xgreat-grandmother, Cornelia van Spijker, died in Welsum, Overijssel aged 41. She was a housewife to Reijnder de Winter, a clog maker, and they had one son. She was survived by both her parents.

(mother of above):
3 April 1866 - my 6xgreat-grandmother, Everdina Gerrits Neuteboom, died in Nijbroek, Gelderland aged 78. She was married to the farmer Peter Lubberts van Spijker and was also a farmer. She had several children, but outlived most of them.

4 April 1757 - my 6xgreat-grandmother, Hilletje van Grieken, was born in Roelofarendsveen, Zuid-Holland. She was first married to Johannes Bakker, who died in 1807. She then married Pieter Kornelisz van Veen in 1811 in Alkemade, and remained there until her death in 1828.

4 April 1813 - my 6xgreat-grandparents, Gillis Blok and Antonia Mandel, married in Zierikzee, Zeeland. At the time Gillis was a 25-year old painter and Antonia was 26 with no occupation. Their fathers had both died (Antonia's father, Adriaan Mandel was a marine captain who died in France), but their mothers were both living in Zierikzee - Martina Verseput and Sara Bergwerf, both with no occupation. Gillis and Antonia went on to have five children but sadly Antonia died in 1822, and Gillis in 1826, shortly into his second marriage.

4 April 1824 - my 6xgreat-grandmother, Johanna de Meij, died in Leiden aged 68. She worked as a cotton spinner. She had four children with a local merchant, Johannes Brouwer, but I don't believe they married.

4 April 1849 - my 4xgreat-grandparents, Mannes Overmars and Antje Banté, married in Olst, Overijssel. At the time they were 25 and 23 respectively, and both working as daily-hired labourers. The marriage was a double wedding, with Antje's cousin Albertus Beltman. At the time, both of Mannes' parents were still living - Willem Overmars and Willemina van Putten. Antje's father Willem was still alive, and both the fathers were also daily-hired workers. Mannes and Antje were married until Antje's death in 1865, and Mannes remarried and later worked as a farmer, dying in 1902.