Author Topic: Possible Huguenots? Pidoux  (Read 7728 times)

Offline judyjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Possible Huguenots? Pidoux
« on: Sunday 31 March 13 15:54 BST (UK) »
I am helping with some research and it occurs to me that this family called Pidoux/Pedoux living and working in Spitalfields for the most part, might be of Huguenot descent.  I am back to John Pidoux born circa 1775.
Has anyone else come across this name in connection with the Huguenots?
Thank you
Suffolk: Rowe, Scarfe, Brookes, Rands, Hart, Fuller, Buckle
Cornwall: Lobb, Palmer, Mutton, Burden, Veal
Devon: Haddy, Hayman, Burgoyne, Pinhey, Bond, Dayman, May
Ireland: Sheeran, Noone, Murray, Daly, Rooney, O'Frill, Friel, Rigney.
Australia. NSW: Benjamin Rowe

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Huguenots? Pidoux
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 March 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
The Pidoux name appears to have been around in Switzerland in the 1700s, at least (lots of marriages on familysearch) this doesn't rule them out being Huguenots as Switzerland was one of the first places Huguenots fled to, but perhaps they were actually Swiss (Familiennamenbuch shows this surname in the cantons of Fribourg and Vaud prior to 1800).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 13 17:35 BST (UK) »
The surname Pidou/Pidoux goes back to at least 1416 in the canton of Vaud, where it originates around Combremont-le-Grand, a village about 12 miles east of Yverdon.  The Fribourg branch dates from the early 1700s.  (Dictionnaire Historique et Biographique de la Suisse)
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judyjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 13 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. Very interesting, perhaps I need to go on Swiss Google now  :)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 April 13 16:36 BST (UK) »
Is it this man?

John Pidoux & Ann Mellor married April 11th 1769 St George Hanover Square, London

Elisabeth Mary Pidoux, daughter of John Pidoux, Shop keeper, Wheeler Street, and Ann, 24 March 1771, Christchurch, Spitalfields

John Albert Pidoux, son of John Rodolph Pidoux, Grocer, Wheeler Street, and Ann  21 June 1772, Christchurch, Spitalfields

George Pidoux son of John Pidoux, Chandler, Wheeler Street, and Ann, 29 Oct 1775, Christchurch, Spitalfields

Sarah Pidoux, daughter of John  Pidoux, Grocer, Wheeler Street, and Ann,  9 Feb 1783, Christchurch, Spitalfields

Abner Pidoux, son of John Pidoux, shopkeeper, Wheeler Street, and Ann, born 13 June 1790, baptised 12 Sep 1790, Christchurch, Spitalfields

John Pidoux of Wheeler Street, aged 84, buried Dec 26th 1820, Christchurch, Spitalfields.

His son John was apprenticed to a cooper, and Abner to a Mathematical instrument case maker.

His will describes him as a Grocer and Cheesemonger of Wheeler Street, and also names an elder daughter Kezia married name Goullee.

If it is him he did join the Threadneedle Street French Huguenot Church London as Jean Rodolphe Pidoux on 29th September 1771 on the testimony of Charles Lecher. He also certified cases for 'La Providence' The French Charity Hospital for Huguenots and their descendants in 1787 and 1788, both neighbours of his in Wheeler Street.

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline judyjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 April 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. That is absolutely fascinating!!  I have just now been looking at this generation of Pidoux and wondered if the John I started with is the son of John Rodolphe and Ann. The line I am looking at goes back to John and Susannah [probably nee Brierley] and he was a Cooper as were many of his descendants.
I have also just found that Kezia's second husband Nicholas Goullee/Goule promptly married her sister Sarah Nuding a few months after her death in 1826.  Keeping the money in the family!!
Regards
Judy

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 April 13 21:05 BST (UK) »
No problem Judy.  Can't unfortunately find any trace of where in France he might have come from, though think it is certainly plausible his family might have been refugees in the Swiss canton first.

They seem to have been a family of ministers there. A 20th century descendant Pierre Pidoux (1905-2001) was a noted  theologian, organist and musicologist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Pidoux

This does make me think because there is the London John Pidoux (1875-1953) who was a famous banjo player and teacher. He might link up to your Spitalfields lot. Maybe music is in their blood!
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline judyjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking.

Have made a slight error with the Goullee marriage, Sarah was Kezia's niece not sister. I wish these families didn't use the same names for each generation! Keeps we poor genealogists on our toes I suppose.

Offline Natasha32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 September 13 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I found this conversation via google and found it extremley imformative and interesting to read! I too am looking for decendants of the pidoux line! I am interested if anyone would be able to help and aid me in my quest. I am a direct decendant of henry pidoux, born approx 1827 london. If my cencus research is correct i think his father was called a john pedoux who was married to a Maria. Registered on the 1841 cencus i find a record that states that they lived with his parents john and susanna pidoux and a lady called susanna briedley. Unfortunatley this is as far as i can seem to get back! Like judyjay we have the susanna briedley link in common! What is also interesting is the cooper connection also runs down my side with my great great grandfather john pidoux. He eventually settled in dub,in, ireland! Not sure how or why he went there but he did! If anyone has discovered any more information since these threads were last written i'd love to hear it! Kindest regards, natasha :-)