Author Topic: Possible Huguenots? Pidoux  (Read 7726 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Huguenots? Pidoux
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 September 13 10:51 BST (UK) »
Is it this man?

John Pidoux & Ann Mellor married April 11th 1769 St George Hanover Square, London

Elisabeth Mary Pidoux, daughter of John Pidoux, Shop keeper, Wheeler Street, and Ann, 24 March 1771, Christchurch, Spitalfields

John Albert Pidoux, son of John Rodolph Pidoux, Grocer, Wheeler Street, and Ann  21 June 1772, Christchurch, Spitalfields

George Pidoux son of John Pidoux, Chandler, Wheeler Street, and Ann, 29 Oct 1775, Christchurch, Spitalfields

Sarah Pidoux, daughter of John  Pidoux, Grocer, Wheeler Street, and Ann,  9 Feb 1783, Christchurch, Spitalfields

Abner Pidoux, son of John Pidoux, shopkeeper, Wheeler Street, and Ann, born 13 June 1790, baptised 12 Sep 1790, Christchurch, Spitalfields

John Pidoux of Wheeler Street, aged 84, buried Dec 26th 1820, Christchurch, Spitalfields.

His son John was apprenticed to a cooper, and Abner to a Mathematical instrument case maker.

His will describes him as a Grocer and Cheesemonger of Wheeler Street, and also names an elder daughter Kezia married name Goullee.

If it is him he did join the Threadneedle Street French Huguenot Church London as Jean Rodolphe Pidoux on 29th September 1771 on the testimony of Charles Lecher. He also certified cases for 'La Providence' The French Charity Hospital for Huguenots and their descendants in 1787 and 1788, both neighbours of his in Wheeler Street.
only from someones tree
Catherine Pidoux to Jean Moreau 1767 ...just says United Kingdom
could this be another daughter of that John Pidoux the shopkeeper ?
http://en.geneanet.org/search/?name=pidoux&country=GBR&ressource=arbre
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Wallyson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I found this conversation via google and found it extremley imformative and interesting to read! I too am looking for decendants of the pidoux line! I am interested if anyone would be able to help and aid me in my quest. I am a direct decendant of henry pidoux, born approx 1827 london. If my cencus research is correct i think his father was called a john pedoux who was married to a Maria. Registered on the 1841 cencus i find a record that states that they lived with his parents john and susanna pidoux and a lady called susanna briedley. Unfortunatley this is as far as i can seem to get back! Like judyjay we have the susanna briedley link in common! What is also interesting is the cooper connection also runs down my side with my great great grandfather john pidoux. He eventually settled in dub,in, ireland! Not sure how or why he went there but he did! If anyone has discovered any more information since these threads were last written i'd love to hear it! Kindest regards, natasha :-)
Hi All
This is my first time on this site, I was pointed here by my son who had found the Huguenot connection with the Pidoux surname.
Like you Natasha, I have a direct link with one of John and Maria's children, Henry's sister Mary Ann b 1835. She is my great great grandmother and married my gggrandfather Jonathan Simpson in 1855.
I had managed to get back to Jean Rodolphe Pidoux b France 1736 who married Ann Meller b 1744, in 1769 and they lived in Spitalfields where they had 6 children, starting with Kezia in 1770 and the other 5 as documented earlier in this thread. The third born, John Albert 1772, is our direct line to John Brierley 1801 who fathered 7 children including Henry 1827 and Mary Ann.
Jonathan Simpson was born in Chiswick in 1833, married Mary Ann in 1855 and in 1861 were living in 19, Tibberton Sq. Islington with their two sons (having lost one in 1858) along with Mary Ann's parents. Another son, George was born in 1862.
They removed to Burton-on-Trent, where Jonathan became Head Cooper at Bass Breweries and two more children, Maria E.P. 1866 and Robert 1873 were born. By 1881 the family were living in the Bass Brewery Co's Yard in Anderstaff Lane (now Wetmore Rd.).
Mary Ann died in 1886 and by 1891 Maria was keeping house for the family at 84 Horninglow St.

Jonathan's 2nd surviving son, Frederick P. my great grandfather, married cooper's daughter Frances Elizabeth Martin, a teacher, in 1883 and they had 8 children between that time and 1905. In 1901 they were living at 6 Dallow Street, Burton. Their firstborn Frederick P. 1884, a metalworker, was my grandfather and married Beatrice A. Clarke in 1911. My father, Walter Ernest Pidoux Simpson was their only child as my grandfather died in 1913, a year after his son was born.

I am wondering if anyone reading this thread has any knowledge of the Pidoux or Simpson families that may still be in or around Burton that figure in the tree mentioned, as my father died in WWII after Arnhem serving with the 4th Dorsets, having been transferred from the 6th North Staffs in August 1944, and I saw little of him as he was embodied from the start of the hostilities being already in the TA. There was a family upset when he was in his late teens and I have never known any of my father's relatives, save fleetingly in the 1950's, his mother's brother - my great uncle.

My grandfather's siblings were :- Walter 1887, James 1890, Mary 1892, Henry 1894, Edith 1899, Albert 1902 and Mabel 1905.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Wallyson, and welcome to Rootschat! Just browsing and found this thread. I have a Henry Pidoux, born c. 1828 Clerkenwell, who married a collateral ancestor of mine, Sarah Louisa Dowdeswell, in 1856 in Islington. I think it is the same Henry as after their first three children, Henry and Sarah moved to Burton-on Trent, and had at least another 6.
Can't help with the origins of the Pidoux family though unfortunately.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Wallyson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Pine family and thanks for the reply.
Yes that seems to be the Henry, around 1827-1909 and was a brewery worker, also my great great grandmother's (Mary Ann Pidoux 1835-1886) brother.

My great great grandfather Jonathan Simpson married Mary Ann in 1855 and moved to Burton upon Trent Staffordshire with their three sons in the mid 1860's where Johnathan became foreman cooper at Bass Breweries and his sons all became coopers too. Several male descendants were coopers in Burton, as were the members of the Pidoux family starting with John Brierley Pidoux, Henry's father, who lived sometime together with Mary Ann and Jonathan and family. 

Offline PamelaMo29

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi...in reply to the above. Jonathan Simpson is also my gggrandfather. Frederick Pidoux, his son was my ggrandfather and his son Walter born 1887 was my grandfather who was also a cooper as were his son Walter John (my father) and his second son Norman (my uncle). I have also seen many documents including indentures of apprenticeship and newspaper cuttings. Sadly these are not in my possession, but with my cousin Charles, who is Norman's son. He and I are the only children from the two sons, both of whom are now deceased, although Charles did have a twin, Andrew who died as a baby. My mother was married to Walter John (known as John) but they split up in 1963. Hence I don't have any of these documents, but I borrowed them once for my daughter to take into school and they were fascinating. The Simpson family originate from Garmouth in Scotland. I think the original set of indentures I read were dated 1742 and these were for a Robert Simpson apprenticed as a cooper to a brewery in London and I think it was signed by his father a John Simpson. I have noticed the name Pidoux with a French or Swiss connection and find this interesting. I still have many connections with Burton as my maternal family are mostly there, but live in Shropshire.

Offline Natasha32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 December 16 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone :-)

Finally, I have returned to researching my family tree and have just came across some new comments and information.

I have recently discovered that Henry Pidoux, my great grandfather x 3 served in the Navy during the Crimean War. I discovered that Henry was granted war medals.

look at this link I discovered!!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-life/ganggang-crimean-war-medals-go-on-display-at-goulburn-hilltop-museum-20160112-gm4my6.html

if anyone finds out any more info about Henry or the Pidoux's origins please let me know. I am heading to Christ Church in the New Year!!   Natasha

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 December 16 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Wow!! A cheer for all the Pidoux people who have been connected by this thread.

It is a spectacular success story..... I have to admit to being somewhat, (read "enormously",) envious.  ;)

I would be so grateful if the Swiss and Huguenot sources for the name Pulsiver (and variants,) could be checked out in the same way.  If there is nothing I can then rule out that possibility, though I have no clue where to search next.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 December 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »

It is a spectacular success story..... I have to admit to being somewhat, (read "enormously",) envious.  ;)

I would be so grateful if the Swiss and Huguenot sources for the name Pulsiver (and variants,) could be checked out in the same way.  If there is nothing I can then rule out that possibility, though I have no clue where to search next.

1747 in Stoke Gabriel ,Devon ,England - Elizabeth Pulsiver married John Butland

http://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?go=1&nom=pulsiver&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&with_variantes_nom=&with_variantes_nom_conjoint=&with_variantes_prenom=&with_variantes_prenom_conjoint=&size=10

start a new thread and post your earliest Pulsiver and year and location  :)  we will try and assist in your research...
ADDED   found a family tree - Elizabeth Pulsiver b c1720  Devon - married John Butland 1747 had child Mary Butland b 1754 - so 7 years after the marriage - I would think there are older children born between 1747 and 1754 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 December 16 12:29 GMT (UK) »

1747 in Stoke Gabriel ,Devon ,England - Elizabeth Pulsiver married John Butland

http://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?go=1&nom=pulsiver&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&with_variantes_nom=&with_variantes_nom_conjoint=&with_variantes_prenom=&with_variantes_prenom_conjoint=&size=10

start a new thread and post your earliest Pulsiver and year and location  :)  we will try and assist in your research...
ADDED   found a family tree - Elizabeth Pulsiver b c1720  Devon - married John Butland 1747 had child Mary Butland b 1754 - so 7 years after the marriage - I would think there are older children born between 1747 and 1754 :) 

Yes.  Thank you Garstonite.
I can trace a line of Pulsivers, back to Margaret Pulsyver who married John Dyver at Dartmouth, UK in 1589.  Including Elizabeth that married John Butland in 1747, who I believe was the sister of my husband's direct ancestor.

I don't really anticipate finding Margaret's parents or getting back any further, but I would really like to know where the family name originated.  I suspect it is not an English name, which is why I was wondering about a Huguenot origin, though there were not many Huguenots who came to the UK that early. 

I suppose the name might even have come over with Eleanor of Aquitaine or in the Conqueror's retinue, but have no idea how to check that out.

I have been chastised for starting a few threads about this family, but I wondered if the sources consulted for the Pidoux name, might reveal a Pulsiver.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.