Author Topic: Peter BAYTUB/BAYTUP  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter BAYTUB/BAYTUP
« on: Monday 01 April 13 06:37 BST (UK) »
Peter Baytub arrived in South Australia on 24th April 1937 as a seaman aboard the "Sarah and Elizabeth".  He subsequently married Mary Anne Adams, who had arrived with her family aboard the "Cygnet" on 11th September 1836.  They are my great great grandmother and grandfather.  They had a son James from whom the present descendants originate, but they have changed their name to Bateup.  I believe Peter and Mary may also have had another son William.  The intriguing part is that William, who appears to have died while in the asylum (buried in West Terrace cemetery), and both parents all died in 1853, which seems a heck of a coincidence since they were only around 33 years old.  I can find no records of marriage or deaths in newspapers, Colonial Secretary's correspondence etc.  Can anyone help?

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Baytub/Baytup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 13 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Hank and welcome to Rootschat

Can we clear up which century we are searching?  You have dates in 1900s and 1800s here?
Presume as you mention Col.Sec. that it is 1800s?

Also, William and his parents all dying in the same year couldn't all be the same age???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline cherokee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
This death may be of interest to you BAYTUB William on 24-4-1853 age 9 years death place Adelaide no relatives listed symbol S (more info on cert) ref 2/206
hope this helps Cherokee 
Redding-Worcester
Dowdeswell-Gloucester
Phillips-Cornwall
Bennento- Cornwall

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 April 13 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn M.

Many thanks for the welcome.  You are right, I got a bit out of whack on the century Peter arrived.  It should of course have been 1837.

Re their exact ages.  As far as I can determine, Peter was born in 1816, which would make him around 35/6, and Mary was born in 1820, which would make her about 33.  James was born in 1841, which made him an orphan of 11/12 when his parents died in 1853.  William was born in 1842.

I do not know for certain that William was James and Mary's son, but the colony was still only six years old when he was born, and I have been unable to find any other Baytubs in the colony at that time, so I think it is a fair assumption that he was there second child.

The only references I can find to William is that he was born in 1842 and died in 1853 with the annotation "asylum".  He was buried in West Terrace Cemetery, but the location of his grave is unknown.

The fact that both James and Mary both deceased in the same year as William (1853), although they were still quite young, and that William was in some way associated with the asylum, strikes me that it is either all a huge coincidence, or there may be a tragedy involved.

It is also interesting that James chose to change the spelling of his name from Baytub to Bateup.

Cheers, Trevor H

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 April 13 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Cherokee,

Many thanks for your reply.  I'm a bit new to this game.  Can you tell me the significance of the letter "S" and the reference 2/206.  Is the latter a death notice?

Cheers,  Trevor H

Offline cherokee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 April 13 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Hank the symbol S on the records as far as I know means there is more information on the original certificate that my be of interest to researchers. To order the cert you need to know the reference number which has been abbreviated but is book 2 page 206 The BISA index (has some errors) has the same arrivals as you have but has a note 3 children by 1851  , but no names ;D Cherokee
Redding-Worcester
Dowdeswell-Gloucester
Phillips-Cornwall
Bennento- Cornwall

Offline cherokee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 April 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Hank perhaps this is your Mary - ADAMS Mary died 8-3-1853 age 33 Adelaide no relatives named
ref book2 page 194 Cherokee
Redding-Worcester
Dowdeswell-Gloucester
Phillips-Cornwall
Bennento- Cornwall

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 April 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Hank

Trove mentions Peter BAYTUP as having gone to California in 1850.

South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900 Saturday 12 January 1850
WILL CLEAR OUT THIS DAY.  The barque Colonist, 261 tons Marshall, master, for California,
Passengers — . . . . . . Peter Baytup

South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900)  Saturday 10 May 1851
LETTERS DETAINED FOR SEA-POSTAGE.
Peter Baytup, California

Did he return to South Australia?

Essie

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 April 13 13:53 BST (UK) »
If there is no record of the deaths of Peter and Mary Ann, why do you think they both died in 1853?

Debra  :)