Author Topic: Peter BAYTUB/BAYTUP  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Baytub/Baytup
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 06:58 BST (UK) »
The only information on the 1841 census CD is that Peter Baytup is the only Baytup in the household, he's in the under 35 age group, and is in the Port Adelaide district.

Dee    :)

Thanks Dee for posting the above.  I had the feeling details would be rather scant for that census.

I do wonder if Peter and Mary Ann ADAMS were actually married?  Pre-civil CDs do not have a marriage or baptisms for any children.

Essie

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 April 13 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Essie,

Thanks for the info on the Sarah & Elizabeth with Peter Baytub on board.  It is quite a coincidence but the records state that a ship of the same name was transporting convicts to Port Jackson at the same time - http://www.convictrecords.com.au/ships/sarah-and-elizabeth

Hank

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 April 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All.  As far as I can piece it together after your help -

James Adams' application for Emigration to South Australia was documented on 22nd January 1836 for himself, his wife, and his daughter Mary Anne.  His application was No. 29, embarkation No. 51.  They embarked on the Cygnet, and departed Shadwell Basin on the 24th March 1836. Their previous address was recorded as 7 Princes Court, Whitcomb Street (London?).  He was listed as a farm labourer.

Peter Baytup's application for emigration was documented on the 26th October, 1836, application No. 745, embarkation No. 442, on the Sarah & Elizabeth.  His previous address was recorded as Wells Street, London. The  Sarah and Elizabeth had already departed Hull on 27th September, 1836.  He was listed as a seaman (whaler?).

Peter Baytup married Mary Ann Adams (date unknown) and they settled in Albert Town (Alberton).

James (John?) was born in 1841.  He took up a selection near Balaklava, and became a blacksmith/ploughmaker, credited with inventing the "Stump Jumping False Comb" in 1869.  He was my great grandfather.  One of his sons became the mayor of Hindmarsh, and another produced the first Australian car capable of commercial production, unfortunately to be completely overshadowed by General Motors.

There was probably a second child, William, who died at age eleven.

There was probably a third child, Elizabeth, who never married.

It is believed that Mary Anne died in childbirth, either with Elizabeth or William.

After she died, Peter Baytup left the children as wards of the state and departed for the Californian goldfields on the Colonist, on the 12th January, 1850.  It is possible that he died around 1852/3, because James is described as an orphan at around that time.

I can find no death records of Peter, Mary Anne, or Elizabeth.  Nor birth records of Elizabeth or William.  James died 16th December 1916.

Many thanks for all your help folks.

Hank

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
Re: Peter BAYTUB/BAYTUP
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 06:42 BST (UK) »
Great to hear all the information you've now managed to collect, Hank.....hopefully more information could turn up at some stage.

Dee    :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
"After she died, Peter Baytup left the children as wards of the state and departed for the Californian goldfields on the Colonist, on the 12th January, 1850.  It is possible that he died around 1852/3, because James is described as an orphan at around that time."

He may have, but James could have been described as an orphan because no-one knew where his father was.
An example , though in reverse so to speak:  One of my Irish GGMs and her kid sister came to Australia as "Irish orphans".  However, their father was still alive back in Tipperary and their mother was listed as "mother in America".  So both parents still presumably alive.  This was 1849 or thereabouts.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 21:21 BST (UK) »
Variants of spelling found in the UK (lots in Sussex):
Baytup/Baytop/Baytopp/Baytrup/Baitup/Batup

A Peter Baytup, son of Richard and Susanna, was christened 10 August 1817 in Midhurst, Sussex.  There are some potential older siblings (familysearch info)

This may be him in the 1852 census of California - Peter "Batrop", aged 32, b. England:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V4NF-QG8

He was in  Tuolumne which is certainly an area associated with the gold rush.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 April 13 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi jorose,

The alternative spellings you suggested are interesting.  Attached is a copy of Peter Baytup's application for emigration.  I had trouble finding it in the register because it was filed under Bagtap.  I had assumed this was due to poor handwriting, but in view of your comments I re-examined it and it is interesting that the style of the loop on the third letter is the same as that of the second letter "a".  This would make it a "g".  The "t" is fairly definite.  The fifth letter could be an "a" or an "o", but it certainly doesn't look like a "u", and the last letter looks fairly definitely to be an "f" rather than a "p".

So the actual name could be Bagtaf or Bagtof, I find it hard to believe that even if Peter could not read or write, that he would let the pronunciation of his name change so much from Bagtof to Baytup.

Cheers, Hank

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Hank
My son-in-law is a descendant of Peter Baytub/Baytup.  I have not been able to come up with anymore than you have, although have not looked at the American census in detail. 

There is also a Peter Baytub/Baytup listed on the passenger list for the CYGNET arr. 1836, which would mean he travelled on the same ship as the Adams family, but then he wouldn't be the Peter Baytub/Baytup who came out on the SARAH AND ELIZABETH, as this ship left in the Sept that the CYGNET arr. in Adelaide.

Not sure how to go about proving either way...
Regards
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 23:30 BST (UK) »
There is also a Peter Baytub/Baytup listed on the passenger list for the CYGNET arr. 1836, which would mean he travelled on the same ship as the Adams family, but then he wouldn't be the Peter Baytub/Baytup who came out on the SARAH AND ELIZABETH, as this ship left in the Sept that the CYGNET arr. in Adelaide.

Not sure how to go about proving either way...
Regards
PCB

One transcribed Passenger List that says Peter Baytub/Baytup was on the CYGNET had a reference to BISA. Many of us from SA know that publication has much inaccurate information.

Essie