Author Topic: Peter BAYTUB/BAYTUP  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter BAYTUB/BAYTUP
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Essie,

There are several passenger listings for the "Cygnet", but only one of them has Peter Baytub/Baytup on it.  I suspect it is an error, possibly arising from the fact that he subsequently married Mary Anne Adams (my great great grandmother) who did come out on the "Cygnet" with her family.  As far as I can determine there is only one line of Baytups (subsequently Bateups) in the early history of South Australia.  It is not a common name, and it would be quite a coincidence if two Peter Baytub/Baytups came out in the first few months of settlement.  In addition, I have been through all the applications for emigration over that period in the South Australian Library, and the one which I posted as an attachment to my last posting was the only one there.

I have compiled the family tree of Peter Baytup down to my generation, so it is probable that your son-in-law is descended through either the Bateup, Hancock, Simmonds or Tiller lines.  These were the grandchildren of Peter Baytup and the children of his son, James Bateup.  If you think this is likely, send me your email address on a private line, and we can discuss it further.

Cheers,

Hank