Author Topic: Peter BAYTUB/BAYTUP  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Baytub/Baytup
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 April 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hank, you said:
"The only references I can find to William is that he was born in 1842 and died in 1853 with the annotation "asylum".  He was buried in West Terrace Cemetery, but the location of his grave is unknown."

So he wasn't 33, but 9, which agrees with what Cherokee found.
For him to be in an asylum at that age, and at that time, sounds to me as if he was maybe a Down Syndrome baby, or a cerebral palsy child, and his parents could not look after him adequately.  Is there any family story to back that up?

I posted this previously, but it has somehow disappeared.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 April 13 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Cherokee. The Adams, Mary you have found sounds promising, but I am still struggling.  To what register do the reference number/book number/page numbers you are quoting refer, and how do I access it?  Also,what is BISA?  I Googled it and got any number of weird and wonderful results, but nothing that appeared to be appropriate.  Cheers, Hank.

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 April 13 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Essie,  Thanks for finding those.  I had been looking in Trove under Baytub.  There seems to be some confusion on which spelling he used.  Looking further under Baytup, I found unclaimed letters for Baytup, Mary Ann, and Baytup, Mrs on October 31, 1851, so maybe the family did clear out to California.  I have no record of them returning, but will start looking.  The plot thickens.  Cheers, Hank

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 April 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra.  Good question.  I know I found it somewhere, but I have accumulated so many bits of paper and references that I am a bit hard pushed to find the source of the information.  I will keep looking and get back to you when I track it down.  Cheers, Trevor

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 00:05 BST (UK) »
The BISA is the Biographical Index to South Australians.

No guarantee you'd find them there of course.  It covers people  1836-1885

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Cherokee.  Going through some old scribblings handed down by an elderly ancestor I found the following comments, but annotated with lots questions marks -

Offline Hank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Cherokee.  Going through some old scribblings handed down by an elderly ancestor, I found the following comments, annotated with lots of question marks -
"Founder was Batup who came from France" - He may have come from France originally, but his application for emigration (No. 442) gave his address as Wells Street, London, and it gave his occupation as seaman.  Then it gets confusing.  Although he applied for emigration, he came out on the "Sarah & Elizabeth", which was a convict ship bringing 96 female convicts to Port Jackson in NSW, departing  London on the 1st January, 1837 and arriving in Port Jackson on 23rd April, 1837.  If he was on this ship, it must have been as a seaman, which does not tie in with his emigration application to South Australia.
"He married and had 2 children Liz and James." - If your information from BISA is correct, the third child may have been William.
"After his wife died in childbirth he went to the Gold fields in Victoria (?1960) and the children were brought up by the state." - I had a death date of 1853 for his wife Mary Anne (nee MacMillan).  I am trying to find where I got that, but if it is incorrect, his wife may have died giving birth to William.  The fact that the children became wards of the state could explain why the word "asylum" was included in Williams death notice.  It could also explain why Peter Baytup's name appeared in the passenger list of the "Colonist" to California on 12 Jan 1850.  Perhaps he decided to move from the Australian to the Californian gold fields.  James was orphaned at 11 years of age, which would have been around 1853, so maybe Peter Baytup died in that year.
"Daughter Liz did not marry?" - I have not found any trace of Liz.
Cheers, Hank

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Hank

SA shipping sources 1836-1841 CD has the following:-

SHIP Sarah and Elizabeth
Arrived 22/4/1837
From Hull
Via Tristan da Cunha
With 40 Passengers
All men were seamen, and only two arrived with a wife, one of whom had children.  As I understand it, these men emigrated to work in the whaling industry in Australian waters.

This web page does not mention any convicts taken to Sydney.  The Sarah-Elizabeth was owned by the SA Company that were involved only in the new Colony of South Australia.
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1837Sarah-Elizabeth.htm

The 1841 Census in SA is the only Census available and the Index has Peter BAYTUP listed. I believe Goulds Genealogy have a CD with extra details.

Essie

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 06:22 BST (UK) »
The only information on the 1841 census CD is that Peter Baytup is the only Baytup in the household, he's in the under 35 age group, and is in the Port Adelaide district.

Dee    :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk