Author Topic: "The Village" BBC series  (Read 15482 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "The Village" BBC series
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
It was quite customery for servants not to be allowed to look at "their betters", also in Derbyshire oneDuke of Devonshire at Chatsworth had all the houses in a new village "Edensor " built with the doors facing away from the road so the villagers could not see him as he passed.
It is no wonder John Sims was tired, he  had no idea of the steady rhythm of scything.
I don`t know either why hot water was being carried upstairs in tin baths, it went up in copper ewers, otherwise it would have slopped all over the carrier.
Who the heck is the girl, I don`t think she would sit at table with the family from the big house and certainly not speak to them as this girl did. They got that wrong in Downton Abbey too.             My O.H got quite upset at the scene in the classroom  as he too was punished as late as the early 1930`s for being left handed.He developed a stammer and difficulty reading.His mother went to the school and threatened what she would do to the teacher if it continued---- you could in those days---- but the damage was already done.When he went into an accountant`s office to be trained he developed a beautiful copperplate style as all ledgers were hand entries of course. But he is cross lateral.
I think the group of graves mentioned might be The Riley graves just above Eyam, the plague village where one poor woman buried her husband and six children in 8 days. The Hancock family. The Riley being the name of the knoll where they are buried.
However despite the nit picking I am looking forward to the next episode. Tissues ready if it is about WW1.
                   Viktoria.

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:28 BST (UK) »
My O.H got quite upset at the scene in the classroom  as he too was punished as late as the early 1930`s for being left handed

It happened to my mother in the 1930s too; she had her left hand tied behind her back to prevent her from using it.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, I also wondered whether the lad would be allowed to bring water for the scantily clad young lady of the house - but I think she's a bit, um, free with her favours, which I can understand outdoors or away from the family, but not in the house with so many other servants and family around. That didn't seem right to me.  ;)

Offline Meezer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
When all's said and done though it's just a bit of entertainment isn't it? I don't think it's intended to be a documentary  ;)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 15:04 BST (UK) »
You're not wrong Meezer.  ;)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 19:08 BST (UK) »
It is principally for entertainment of course but it is just as easy to get things correct as to get them wrong. History gets changed through errors like those mentioned, does it matter you might say, well I think it does.
Do the research , and that is easy enough. Just ask old ladies like me!

You understand of course that I know because my  Mum (born 1896) told me lots and lots and I had lived in rural Shropshire where there was no running water gas or electricity until well into the 1950`s.But I am old as well!!
I hope everyone enjoys it anyway, Viktoria

Offline Meezer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 21:19 BST (UK) »
Yes they should get the basic facts right but I don't think there's a lot that can be done about field sizes these days or finding a cornfield that doesn't have faint tramlines in!  ;) I think we can excuse things like that!

Offline kettleburger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 21:27 BST (UK) »
The importantly titled "Surveyors account book"for my small village in Suffolk exists for one year in the late 19th century. It shows that a tumbrell, full of stone, picked by a woman and children yielded her two old pence. The load would then be sold on by the farmer to the parish for sixpence to be used by the lengthsman to fill potholes in the roads. After the ravages of this last winter, perhaps Suffolk County Council might re-introduce the system!!

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 21:29 BST (UK) »
It would have been better if it had "crop circles" in it  ;D
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands