Author Topic: Where is Ernest Porter (1880 - 1928) in 1901?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is Ernest Porter (1880 - 1928) in 1901?
« on: Tuesday 02 April 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My Great Uncle Ernest Porter was born in Heckington in 1880 and I have a fair bit of info on him eg baptism, marriage, children, occupation, death and probate, but I cannot find him on the 1901 census. 
I've tried a few sites, several names variations, etc, but no luck, so can one of you super sleuths find him?
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Ernest Porter (1880 - 1928) in 1901?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 19:56 BST (UK) »
A lot of young men are absent from 1901 census as they were serving in the Boer War
Maybe that's where Ernest was??

I'll have a check for him though

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 20:14 BST (UK) »
No luck - I searched all the Ernests b.1879-1881 but couldn't find him -even looked in Wales

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 20:25 BST (UK) »
There is listed in Campaign medals
Ernest Porter
Gunner 
Service 1899-1902
Location South Africa
reg no 3133
84th Battery RFA
to XI Bdg Div Staffs 1/8/02

There are lots of E Porters listed too

Don't know if any of them may be your Ernest

Maybe someone on the Armed Forces Boards may have access to more info

Suz

Offline Warden11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 24 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello, this is a message for the great nephew of Gunner Ernest Porter, Reg. No. 3133 84th Battery, Royal Field Artillery, who served in the Boer War. I happen to be in possession of one of his medals. It is a silver South Africa Medal with five clasps representing actions at: Belfast, Diamond Hill, Johannesberg, Driefontein and Cape Colony. I believe it is either the first or second version, with the ghost years 1899-1900 on the obverse (barely visible), with Victory pointing the wreat at the R of South Africa. The reason for the ghost numbers is that it was believed at the time that the war would end in 1900. I have no idea how this medal came into my family's possession, but it belonged to your great uncle and I should therefore like to return it to you, if you would like to have it. I can send you a photo of the medal if you wish. All the best, Richard C

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 24 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard,  Many thanks for the offer, but although I've now got alot more details on Ernest, I can't confirm that this is the right one.  Therefore I won't take you up on the offer as I would not feel comfortable taking the medal under these circumstances.  Nigel
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Warden11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nigel, thanks for the reply. I have a lot of experience in researching such things, so perhaps this might help you. As you know the name of the recipient of a medal is engraved along the rim. While I appreciate that there would likely be other Porters in the British Army at the time and other Ernest Porters (Ernest was a popular name at that time, the Service Number is, of course, unique. The exact engraving on the rim of the medal reads: Gr E Porter 84th Batt. R.F.A.  You mention that you now have a lot more details on Ernest. Do you have his Service No. or confirmation of the unit in which he served? If his Service No.is 3133 and he served in the 84th Battery RFA, then there can be no doubt that this is his medal as it could not have been awarded to anyone else. At Kew the have Service Records and War Diaries, which could give you further confirmation. However, these two categories are only available for viewing on site. One caveat is that, if your great uncle Ernest went on to serve in WWI, his Service Record may have been lost. Some 40% of he records of Other Ranks in WWI were lost in WWII, but there is a chance that his record survives. If he did serve in WWI he will have been awarded service medals and these can be found in the Medal Rolls, which are viewable online and copies can be obtained for a price (but are free, other than printing, on site.) It is perfectly possible that your great uncle would have been young enough to still serve in WWI, so my advice, if you have not already done so would be to start with Service Records up to 1913: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913/ ; also Royal Artillery Personnel Records :https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913/#10-royal-artillery-personnel-records. I am also attaching a document that might be useful. Good luck anyway and I hope you find Ernest. All the best, Richard

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 20:03 GMT (UK) »
In case any of these details help to identify the medal belongs to our Ernest, here are a the facts I know.  He was born in Heckington on 20th January 1880, he married Alice Hackford in 1902 in the Louth reg. district and they had two children, Phyllis Cassilda Porter (19.03 - 1978) and Norman Cecil Hackford Porter (1904 - 1970).  Ernest worked for Great Northern Railway as a signalman and died on 20th January 1928.
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,  Our messages crossed, so I'll dig around using the information you have shared to see if I can find anything more on Ernest.
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London