Author Topic: Derrysomething Rossorry  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Derrysomething Rossorry
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:55 BST (UK) »
I'm probably going against the majority here but 'Derry from Rossorry' is odd phraseology. The townlands in civil parishes are normally fairly static so you could check that it actually did transfer between parishes. I just noticed there is a townland called Dinnydoon in Rossorry parish. This could be a contender.

Offline Carlm

• RootsChat Extra
  • "Never pass a bar with your name on it."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 April 13 00:04 BST (UK) »
Yup.  Definitely odd phraseology.  Who knows what the minister was thinking when he made that insert after the original entry.  I'm still open to other interpretations, but try as I might, I can't make myself see Dinny for Derry.
MAGUIRE, PATTERSON, OWENS, BRANDON

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 April 13 07:24 BST (UK) »
It doesn't really matter if it looks wrong to be Dinnydoon. It's your research but if it were me, I would be checking all of the suggested townlands in parish and other records (including tithe applotment if it exists) to see what they throw up.

The letters that are suggested to be the word 'from' - I can't see enough of the rest of the page to compare letter forms but there are two unusual things about it - the letter 'f' often extends below the line but your letter is only above the line. The last letter does look more like 'n' than 'm' but this could be put down to squiggling at the end of the word. You could compare with the rest of the page to see if this sheds any light.

Offline Carlm

• RootsChat Extra
  • "Never pass a bar with your name on it."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 06:43 BST (UK) »
I've been checking for traces in Dinnydoon, Derrydoon, and Derry "from" Rossory without much luck.  The trouble is that Thomas Maguire doesn't show up until that entry in November 1820 in Mullaghdun, Parish of Cleenish.  Records anywhere are pretty sparse before 1820, and the family left for Canada in 1847, before Griffiths'.  Seems to me the Tithe Applotment places him in Cleggan.
I still think you've put me farther ahead than I was.
Many thanks.
Carl
MAGUIRE, PATTERSON, OWENS, BRANDON

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 07:06 BST (UK) »
Does this help

Regards

Malky