Author Topic: Egan  (Read 23067 times)

Offline velcro

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Egan
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 13:41 BST (UK) »
Been a long day. Sorry for typos but thank you for being on the ball. Just testing if there is anyone out there?? LOL!
Edward French married Mary Leahy 15 Apr 1863 (not 1763!) York WA
then Mary married Patrick James Egan 14 May 1876 Perth WA. (not 1763!)
Both Mary's and father Patrick  James Egan born Ireland. Tipperary or Cork??
Yes possible left from Albany in that time frame.
Son Patrick "Joseph" Egan was born in Perth Western Australia. Family story: Mary and second husband Patrick and infant son Patrick went to the US for medical reasons of his eye treatment.
Noticed in the 1930 US Census Immigration year for son Patrick Joseph states 1892 and married to Mary Jane but entered as Jennie M Egan both 53yrs.
Seems logical for the sea route to the US.Like they say more heads are better than 1.LOL!
Velcro

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Seeking 1. Passenger list of arrival to USA from Fremantle Australia 1879 of Partick James and Mary Egan and son Patrick "Joseph"Egan.

I wonder if Velcro  checked the Outward Passenger lists that are mentioned on the following link?   (State Library of Western Australia)….   http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/find/guides/wa_history/passenger_lists 

Velcro, have you checked those outward passenger lists?

Son Patrick "Joseph" Egan was born in Perth Western Australia. Family story: Mary and second husband Patrick and infant son Patrick went to the US for medical reasons of his eye treatment.

Noticed in the 1930 US Census Immigration year for son Patrick Joseph states 1892 and married to Mary Jane but entered as Jennie M Egan both 53yrs.

Trying find which ship they sailed from Fremantle to US. Immigration year 1879.

Somethings are simply not adding up.    There's definitely more than one family surnamed EGAN having children named Joseph in the various colonies in the Antipodes in the 1870s.  The US Census images I have looked at do NOT specify which COLONY, only noting "Australia", and are for a son named Joseph P, not for Patrick Joseph.   

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 April 13 00:23 BST (UK) »
May I please ask IF you have the Western Australia birth certificate for this elusive Patrick Joseph EGAN.

From RChat's Western Australia Resources Board ( http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369921.0.html )  here's the link to the INDEX for WA's Births, Deaths, Marriages.

Registry of BMD Western Australia
http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

I did NOT find an 1877 birth for your elusive Patrick or Joseph EGAN listed there.  I can see a likely marriage for EGAN = FRENCH in 1876.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 April 13 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

In the 1930 US Census Joseph Egan age 53 born West Australia immigrated to the US in 1892 and was age 22 when married. wife Jennie M age 53 born Irish Free State immigrated in 1893. Neither census has any mention of the name Patrick.

Andy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 April 13 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Patrick Joseph EAGAN (sic) birth Perth West Australia reg No 17979 1877 father Patrick, mother Mary LEIGHEY (sic)

1900 US Census has familt immigrating 1879,
1910 US Census (under surname BYAN) has Joseph and Jeannie married 9 years

Andy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 April 13 01:57 BST (UK) »
Patrick Joseph EAGAN (sic) birth Perth West Australia reg No 17979 1877 father Patrick, mother Mary LEIGHEY (sic)

Well spotted Andy  ;D

I notice that on the Western Australia BDM death index there’s an 1897 death for a Joseph EGAN, aged 20.  That gives a birth year of about 1877.   

The ref no. #940.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 April 13 02:12 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3112156  The West Australian 17 May 1897

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/84560023 The Daily News 17 May 1897

Cheers, JM

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 April 13 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

The information on various US censuses is conflicting so I would be cautious about accepting the accuracy of anything without further investigation. Whilst the 1900 US census indicates the family arrived in the United States in 1879 I can't find them on the 1880 census.

Velcro, I'm not sure what State you are in but the only way to find an Outward passenger list may be to see if your State Library (or Genealogical Society) has the films of West Australian departures and look through the films until you find them. Also, they may well have not gone directly to the United States but to the UK first.

Andy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 04 April 13 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Joseph Egan of 58 Nonotuck St, Florence, Massachusetts born 19th March 1877 was naturalised 18th April 1903 Northampton, Massachusetts.

Andy