Author Topic: Egan  (Read 23073 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Egan
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 19 December 13 03:18 GMT (UK) »
:)
Merry Christmas to all and all the best for 2104 there after!
Velcro

Yes, Happy Christmas, and may Santa deliver you lots of BDM certificates, and lots of spare time in 2014 for your family history research so that you are then able to fully answer all the questions I have posed on your EGAN thread.

I am quite certain that I won't actually be around in 2104, but hopefully RChat will be  ;D  ;D  ;D

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline velcro

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 19 December 13 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Your question list is shorter than mine. All info is passed onto me and I'm in the process of sorting it out and thought someone like yourself would come to my aid with such support and guidence. Many thanks. Hope it continues in the New Year! ;)
I too picked up the common name of Joseph.
Documented fact:
Edward French bp 24 Aug 1825 Messing Essex ENG parents: William & Mary Ann Holgate.
Edward & brother John French were convicts from Chelmsford ENG convicted 4  Mar  1850 sentenced to WA Western Australia 10yrs on the Sea Park they sailed to from London port 1 Jan 1954 - Fremantle Western Australia arriving 5 Apr 1854.www.fremantleprison.com.au/Pages/Convict.aspx
Married at Mt Hardey Western Australia to Mary Leahy b. abt 1837 Cork IRE dtr of Thomas & Catherine Leahy nee Connell. Mary arrived Fremantle WA from Plymouth ENG on the Mary Harrison arr.24 Jun 1862. Married Edward 15 Apr 1863 Holy Trinity Ch. York Western Australia.

They have 2 sons: John Joseph French b. a bt 1869 York WA (no birth Reg found! maybe under a different spelling of surname???) William Thomas b. abt 1871 York WA (also no birth reg found).
Edward dies 8 Jul 1875 Fremantle WA. Mary remarries to Patrick James Egan. 14 May 1876 Perth Western Australia. They have a son Patrick "Joseph"/Joseph Patrick Egan b. 19 Mar 1877 Perth Western Australia . Apparently has a medical condition of his eyes that needs attention and they receive it in the USA. Family story   the RC church and a Sea Captain assist in their voyage to the USA. They leave John & William French behind. Either they were placed in an orphanage when Patrick marries Mary when son "Joseph is born is debatable until records are sort in the State Library in Perth WA. Now looking up the US census gives Immigration of Patrick,Mary and son "Joseph" in the 1830 Census is either  1892 (The French boys adults now and families so no need to go to the USA. )or 1900 census states immigration year 1879! The French boys may of been place in the Subiaco Orphanage in the early stages of Patrick & Mary's marriage.
Guildford no where near the Goldfields WA,correct. John Joseph was a self employed Brickmaker .Story has it he moved to Northam WA after marry May Peterson where he managed another brickworks but lost his job from his drinking demons.Then moved to Gosnells WA while working at Cardup WA & Byford Brickworks. After WW1 he moved with the family to Winchester then back to Gosnells and continued working at Byford. Died suddenly 10 May 1941 St Bunbury WA.
"ADD and where was her Mum? as Lilly's death registration shows "unknown" mother.  Was this wee lass in an orphanage in Western Australia perhaps? and letters were sent to California and to New Hampshire regarding a child in an orphanage." Not to my knowledge.What letters are you asking about?? I wasn't around so don't know if had a time machine I would find out! Mother was May French nee Peterson.
Common name Joseph : John Joseph/ Patrick "Joseph" step brothers seems it may come from Mary's family as no Josephs on Edward's side.(to be researched Leahy family tree) Is Joannes Irish for John or a mispelling??? What do we look up for William Thomas?

Offline velcro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 19 December 13 05:24 GMT (UK) »
"further ADD
This William FRENCH was described on the census as born August 1871 in Australia and was in San Francisco with a wife in 1900, so ...................    have they been eliminated from the EGAN search, afterall, he migrated to the US in 1893 .... was there any Gold Fields in California in 1893 ?  Who was writing to this chap from Western Australia? or who in Western Australia was receiving letters from him?  Or was he writing to Northampton New Hampshire and they were writing back to him in California?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M95C-WTG  " Have very little on William Thomas French only know he was with Annie Elizabeth Law by "common law" not married he died 1939 Nedlands Western Australia.
The letter writing to my understanding was John & William French to their mother Mary Egan in Massuchusetts USA.
"So Bill's story about the half siblings who remained in Australia was that they were children of Patrick EGAN and his first wife who died.   These two brothers stayed in Australia and went to work in the gold fields." Could be??

Patrick LEAHEY and his wife Mary C LEAHEY and their sons:  John E; Leo D; James P; Gregory M; and sister (to the head of the household) Annie A and the head of the household's Father in law : Patrick EAGAN (noting the spelling of his surname)

Patrick EAGAN was widower, born March 1840 in Ireland, and arrived in the USA in 1856.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MS25-KW6  Any further records of leaving USA back to Western Australia as my Patrick James Egan married Mary French 1876 Perth WA.

Haven't a copy!oes that 1877 birth cert have Patrick Joseph's
father's SURNAME as Eagan or as Egan
father's given name/s as Patrick James OR just as Patrick
mother's surname as Leighey or as French nee Leahy
mother's given name/s as Mary (Cecilia) or just as Mary

But marriage cert of Mary & Edward have her as Leahy and Edward full age and Mary Full age.Marriage only has her as Mary. But 2of her gchildren of John Joseph's Esther Cecilia and Cecilia May/Mary.
Don't have a copy of Patrick & Mary's marriage cert only Edward & Mary's.
And the Rev'd was James Brown
married according to the rites of  Church of Holy Trinity York WA C/E
and the witnesses were Mary Holland & George Holland
Mary didn't sign the reg but Edward placed a cross

And the Western Australia's BDM reference no. is 5007/1880
You assumed wrong I haven's Patrick's BDM certs at all.
hecking further on the Western Mail Sat 8 August 1891, page 15.

"the passengers who left Albany by the steamer were: For London,
 …. Patk Egan, Mary Egan and Patk Egan junr. " 
Here’s the direct link to that page of that newspaper http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/33067181
I used the key words “Mary Egan” and ticked the box for all the WA newspapers, without limiting any years at all.
So then they arrived 1892! Well spotted!
Joseph Patrick Egan/Eagan The address is from the US Naturalisation Index so would have been his address on the 18th April 1903. Whilst the index does have his birth as 19th March 1877 it does not say he was born in Perth WA, in fact for Country of Birth or Allegiance it says Great Britain.

Velcro

Offline velcro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 19 December 13 05:27 GMT (UK) »
sean is john in irish
Latin definition for:
Joannes, Joannis

Joannes,***Joannis
noun
declension: 3rd declension
Definitions:
John****
Age: Latin not in use in Classical times (6-10th centuries) Christian
Area: Ecclesiastic, Biblical, Religious
Geography: All or none
Frequency: For Dictionary, in top 20,000 words
Source: General, unknown or too common to say

Offline TPDales1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 21 February 15 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I know this is an older post, but I am looking to contact the Zimmer family or another member of this Egan family. I am attempting to confirm or eliminate  the possibility of a connection between this family and my own through my grandfather.

Thanks
Tim

Offline Jleahy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 01 March 24 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hey researchers  :)

I've got a theory is like some input on.

Mary Leahy B.1837 married Edward french B.1825.
They had 2 children.
Edward French B.1825 passed away at Fremantle asylum in 1875.
Mary Leahy B.1837 then married Patrick Egan and had a child.
The child has issues with the left eye, Mary, Patrick and child left western Australia, via Albany to Massachusetts for medical attention. 2 boys left in an orphanage.

Now this mostly checks out in the West Australia biological index, Birds deaths marriages and newspaper articles on trove.

The two boys.
I suspect these two boys were adopted by Mary's brother John Joseph Leahy, one of which changed names as an adult to Patrick Francis Leahy born 1877-1944, Glen Forrest, Western Australia.
This is something I'm very close to proving but would like some input.

Thankyou for your feedback.