Author Topic: Wills & Testaments  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wills & Testaments
« on: Wednesday 03 April 13 17:00 BST (UK) »
I purchased my first Testament from SP and was slightly dissapointed there was no Will merely an inventory and what seems like copious amount of legalise. It was hard to follow and was hoping to print it out, but couldn't figure out how to. Do I need to "save image as" and then print it, for each page?  It does say on the testament "for Est. Regd. Disposition and Settlement see seperate register" is this the will? If so is it in an archive somewhere?

The persons estate was worth £930 in 1892 which is a considerable sum I would have thought. His wife died in 1898 intestate (I've not purchased this will yet as I was reluctant to use 10 credits if it didn't tell me anything) what was the law in Scotland in the 1890's if someone died intestate with regards the estate? 

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wills & Testaments
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 17:59 BST (UK) »
Approximate equivalents:

English will and probate = testament testamentar in Scotland
English administration = testament dative in Scotland

A testament in Scotland is the collection of papers to do with a deceased person's estate and so does not have the same meaning as in England.

There is info on the Scotlands People website. If you don't log in and then click the "Wills" button this page pops up.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&407
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew C

It appears that you have downloaded the Inventory of the Confirmation of the Testate Estate of the Deceased.  I am assuming that this is an Inventory of the Deceased's heritable property, goods and investments and perhaps also shows debts on the Estate?  This is likely to have been in the Commissary Office "Dead" Book (Register).  The Disposition and Settlement would, I imagine and it appears that way from your post, have been copied into another Register so I would have thought that there may be 2 lots of downloadable information for the same person on Scotlands People.  If not, maybe you could send a query to Scotlands People.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 13 10:15 BST (UK) »
When you log in to SP, go to My Details, set the Image viewer to Direct Download, Image quality to Highest, and update.
Images will download to your computer, and can be saved or opened with whatever graphics program you use. Print as required.

GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have re-checked and yes there is a second document which says Will I shouldn't have been so hasty and looked properly.