Author Topic: Severe corrosion on a gravestone  (Read 1224 times)

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Severe corrosion on a gravestone
« on: Wednesday 03 April 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
Second posting on this board today! I wondered if anyone could help with this please?

In the surrounding area of 2xgreat grandfather's grave at Newbiggin, Northumberland there are a number of his immediate family members including his grandparents, great grandparents and possible 2xgreat grandparents; all except his parents.

His family were quite well off going off by my 3xgreat grandfather's will, so the couple should have a gravestone. On the left of my 2xgreat grandfather's gravestone stands this one. As you can see the weather has not been kind to it at all, so I understand this might be impossible. Can anyone make out anything at all? I've seen a few miracles on this site before.

Thanks

*resize might be too small*
LESLIE, McLEAN, CARROLL, RICHMOND, GALLIGAN, DUFFY, McCOMBS, ARCHIBALD, DYKES
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS
HARBERTSON, TAYLOR, SHARP, ERRINGTON, RIDDLE, HINDMARCH/HYMAS

Offline known_unknowns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Severe corrosion on a gravestone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Is that a figure tending to, or cutting down a tree, in the top section? That's about all I can make out. It reminds me of the severed, though still-flowering tree which figures in another post on this site.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 13 10:19 BST (UK) »
Looks a bit like Jack chopping down the beanstalk, in view of the shape of the leaves.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 13 10:44 BST (UK) »
Well I've had a go with filters and lighting but cannot decifer anything significant in the text apart for a few 'O's dotted around.  I agree there looks to be a tree and a figure at the top though.

Perhaps some of our folk on here with far more expertise than me can bring something forth for you pckl.

Maggie  :)
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 13 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all and thanks

That's so strange! I hadn't even noticed that. It really does look like someone cutting down a tree!

I saw a few 'O's too Maggie, before the one about half way down I can see an 'S' too, but I think that might be wishful thinking on my part because I want the grave to belong to Adam Storey and his wife, Ann.

Thanks all, pckl
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS

Offline known_unknowns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 April 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
pickl

NOW that you say that - the words/surname S T O R E Y can be picked out, which is odd, because you'd think cut letters would erode differently to the dressed surface. At first I saw STODGY which made no sense at all! Will have to have another look to see whether I can pick anything else out... and it that a small skull above the S in Storey?

And I know it sounds odd, but try viewing it in black-and-white and playing with the contrast, etc. The colour just distracts the eye.

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 13 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

As you have the grave could you not check the burial plan and records to find the name?

Kevin
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again all

Thanks for looking everyone.  :)

I think "STOREY" can be seen, but I am going to look into plots and grave numbers/plans etc to see if it truly is who I'm looking for.

pckl