Author Topic: Jessie Elizabeth Morgan. b abt 1899..2 Bastard Sons.How to find Father??????  (Read 3093 times)

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
I am trying to trace the Father of my Dad and my Uncle and I am not having any success...

All I have is my Dads and my Uncles Birth Certificates which show "Father" ....Blank....

Grandmas (Dads & Uncles Mom) name was Jessie Elizabeth Morgan. She was a Domestic Servant in Portland, Dorset in 1919 and is recorded as to be living at 9 Brymey Avenue, Portland.

I think she would have been born about 1899.

Know nothing more than her two Sons were sent to an Orphanage in Penarth, South Wales..

As the Father was marked as not known on the Birth Certificate, what can I do next???

in 1921 Jessie was residing at 1 Wyke Road (May not be correct as the writing on the Birth Certificate is not really legible)  in Weymouth....She was then a Domestic Servant @ 84 Grove Fields, Portland...

Can anyone help????

Brian

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Elizabeth Morgan. b abt 1899..2 Bastard Sons.How to find Father??????
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 13 01:54 BST (UK) »
hi there,

Did your Grandmother live with her children alone at the address? were her family close by. Maybe church records if the church help the mother at some time, I think she would have to name the father to get that help..but Im not 100% sure. Below are a couple of sites that I found by googling.

http://genealogygazette.blogspot.com.au/

http://www.genealogy.com/

cheers
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Elizabeth Morgan. b abt 1899..2 Bastard Sons.How to find Father??????
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 13 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hy Yonks.
I think that Grandma lived with the Children, but I am not sure.
Will try and find out tomorrow OK?
Will also have a look at the links that you provided OK?
Thanks for your Information.
Brian.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 13 07:52 BST (UK) »
Unless the father was named on any surviving record (eg birth cert, baptism record, or bastardy bond or similar) then you won't find his name. More often than not that is the case, only rarely does one find a record of the father of an illegitimate child recorded anywhere.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CrabbyDebbie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 June 22 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Debbie, I wonder if we have Jessie Elizabeth Morgan in common. My nan (surrogate) was born on 13.8.1902. She never spoke a lot about her beginnings but did tell us just before her death that she had 2 boys before she married our Pop Alexander Mathews.
I have been trying to puzzle out where she came from and trying to find her boys and families to pass on pictures information about her.
She always said she was born in weymouth Dorset.
Did you and your Father have a relationship with her?

Debbie

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 June 22 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I am sorry but Brian is no longer a member so is unable to reply to your message.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 June 22 21:10 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it would be worth paying to see this entry in the 1921 census. I know the year is out, but that is not uncommon

Although, the free hover does seem to suggest she is the only one at that address so perhaps the boys are not with her.

Jessie Elizabeth
Morgan
Chatham, Kent, England
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 June 22 22:19 BST (UK) »
Free search of the 1921 census for the entry suggested shows she is an inmate in the Weymouth Union Workhouse, Wyke Road.
https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Weymouth/

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 June 22 22:29 BST (UK) »
Both boys are in the workhouse in 1921,  all indexed separately.