Author Topic: Help on finding info on NAUGHTON family form 'Galway'  (Read 4045 times)

Offline LordJohnson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help on finding info on NAUGHTON family form 'Galway'
« on: Thursday 04 April 13 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

I always give up when I try to consider looking for the relatives below - I find in Lancashire censuses the birthplace as GALWAY - but familiy memories say 'MAYO'

How would I go about looking for the following births / marriages etc??

Patrick Naughton abt 1820 Galway Co, Ireland

His children and Patrick all came to LAncashire (Manchester and Rossendale) in late 1850s

Children -
Mary Naughton 1837 –
Michael Naughton 1839 – 1893  - I have his history once married to Catherine Sheridan Manchester 1858
Thos Naughton 1843 –
Cathrine Naughton 1844 –
Margaret Naughton 1844 –
Julia Naughton 1848 – 

Any help, suggestions or otherwise would be must helpful,

Thanks
RL

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help on finding info on NAUGHTON family form 'Galway'
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 April 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi RL

Well, counties Mayo and Galway border each other, so it's possible that the family came from a townland quite near to the border.

If you look at the 1901 Irish Census there are twice as many Naughtons in Galway as to Mayo, so add this to the census actually stating Galway, I suppose I would start there with your searches.

Of course, the downside now, is that you are talking about people born well before our civil registration began, so you need to be looking for church records.

Unfortunately, to do this you need a specific townland in a county to see if church records still exist AND you would need to know what Patrick's wife's name was.

So, have you any leads as to what Patrick's wife's name was ?

Tara

Offline LordJohnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help on finding info on NAUGHTON family form 'Galway'
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 13 00:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tara for your reply

I have spent the week hunting England records - I now think the Naughtons were from Galway - and Patrick's son Michael married a Catherine Sheridan - who I think was from Mayo - I think that is where the mystery has originated. I know that finding people's records in Ireland is very difficult, particularly with such common names - so I will have to leave it at that for the time being, back at work now until the summer.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
RL