Author Topic: Reverend John Barnes 1731  (Read 2225 times)

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reverend John Barnes 1731
« on: Saturday 06 April 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
Trying to find John Barnes Parents, possibly Andrew & Sarah. Rev John was educated in Cambridge, died in Lincoln fields in 1819.

Offline Rebecca Cantrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend John Barnes 1731
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 October 15 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.
Hope your day is going well.
I believe we sure the same Ancestor.  I am having problems trying to trace John Barnes as well.  Was your one married to Ann Park?

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 15 21:07 GMT (UK) »
yes. , I have the same rev john barnes married to ann park, I am a direct descendant on my ggma's line.  I have his family lines on my Ancestry.com site.  Have been aware of another Rev John Barnes who sailed on the Mayflower but he is not our line as far as I can tell.  If you would like to view my site let me know and also where you fit in.  I am in Australia by the way.
Shelley clark

Offline Rebecca Cantrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 10:15 GMT (UK) »
We have the one and same John Barnes.  Would love to share information with you, well I do not have much more information after John and Ann.  I am from Tasmania, Australia.  I am also a direct descendant.

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Ok! Cool,  much of  my family's history is in Tassie. My ggma was Ellen Barnes daughter of Captain Francis Bygrove Barnes. I have spent a lot of time in Tassie with my g parents and still have a cousin living in Hobart.  If you would like to see my family sites on Ancestry.com send me your email address and I will send you an invite. How are you connected to the family?
I am always happy to share family info. There is quite a bit on my ancestry.com site and also on My Heritage.com,  but the ancestry site is the best. Maybe you can fill in some of my gaps too.
Cheers, Shelley

Offline Rebecca Cantrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelley.
Hope your well.  My email is (*) What is your email and I will invite you to my Ancestry tree too?  Now to explain were I fit into the family.  My mother is Donna BARR whose mother is Kathleen Winifred TAYLOR whose mother is Doris Winifred Bygrove OWENS whose mother is Ellen Florence Bygrove BARNES whose parents is Francis James Bygrove BARNES and Margaret HARES.  I am so sorry if I have confussed you.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Ok going by this and Burial age born c 1721;

Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900
Name: John Barnes
College: CAIUS
Entered: 1740
Died: 21 Jan 1818
More Information: Adm. pens. (age 18***) at CAIUS, Nov. 27, 1740. S. of Andrew, grocer, of Lakenheath, Suffolk. B. there. Schools, Brandon and Bury. Matric. 1740-1; Scholar, 1741-5; B.A. 1744-5. Ord. deacon (Norwich) June 9, 1745; priest, Sept. 22, 1745. R. of Coney Weston, Suffolk, 1745-1818; of Barningham, 1745-1818. Died at Lakenheath, Jan. 21, 1818, aged 97. M.I. there. (Venn, II. 48.)

BAPTISMS;
All Saints, Lakenheath, Suffolk
John BARNS, 20 June 1721 to ANDREW/SARAH
(Source FreeREG)

BURIAL;
John BARNES, 26 Jan 1818, All Saints, Lakenheath
Age 96 (birth c 1722)
Notes ; The Reverend John Barnes
(Source FreeREG)

I must say I am very confused looking at some Trees, John married to Ann Park, no date
Married Elizabeth Ann Park 1834 (after he died!)
Children born to John 1770-1778
So Marriage must be pre 1770
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 15 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Trees have;

Richard Barnes
1770 – 1817
George Barnes
1773 –
Sir Edward Barnes****
1776 – 1838
Francis John Barnes
1778-1808

Lots of info on on Edward when googling
Born either Herts or London

Plus of Herts, does not say he was born there;
Barnes, Sir Edward (1776-1838), army officer, of Beech-hill Park, near Barnet, was probably of Irish descent; certainly his uncle's daughters married into a prominent family from Kilmore, co. Armagh. He began his career as an ensign in the 47th regiment on 8 November 1792, became a lieutenant in the army.

Possible Christenings;

EDWARD Barnes Christened 22 April 1777, St Andrew Undershaft, London, to JOHN/ANN
Birth 28 Oct 1776
Same Church;
MARY Barnes, 20 December 1771 to JOHN/ANN
JOHN FRANCIS Barnes, 30 Nov 1777, Birth 15 Sept 1777, to JOHN/ANN
WILLIAM ENGLISH Barnes, 2 February 1779, Birth 4 Jan 1779, to JOHN/ANN
All only Familysarch.Org

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 15 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Definitely a Irish connection;

1770" Richard English, coll. Jan. 17 {D.R.), h. at Armagh, ent. T.C.D. as a Sizar 28 May, 1718 ; B.A. 1723 ; M.A. 1744. Eldest son of Rev. Wm. E., of Armagh and Carrickfergus, by Miss Johnston, dau. of Wm. J., of Armagh, and grandson of John English, of Dublin, and Rose, dau. of Col. George Blacker, of Carrickblacker ; was C. Armagh in 1765 ; d. in 1776. He directed in his Will that he should be buried m the North side of Kildress Church. He was m. and had issue Rev. Thomas (see Charles town), Emillia, Jane and Anne. His brother William was Sovereign of Armagh. He had another brother Edward. ****His sister Mary m. Rev. John Barnes, and had John, Governor of Senegal, of Lincoln Inns Fields ; m. Anne Park, and d. 1820, who had Edward, Lieut. -General G.C.B., M.P., Adjutant-General at Waterloo, Comr. -inChief in India, m. Maria, dau. of Walter Ramsden Fawkes, M.P., and d. 19 March, 1838, leaving Edward, Captain late 27th Regt, m. (1) Catherine, dau. of Wm. Alex. Shaw, and had Violet, wife of Sir Theophilus Peel, Bart. ; m. (2) Nellie, dau. of Dr. Fox, of Brighton, and had Dorothy.

Just found this havent had time to check it as need to go to bed!