Author Topic: WA Convicts  (Read 3650 times)

Offline velcro

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WA Convicts
« on: Saturday 06 April 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi seeking help with "Henry Sherry's birth abt.1838 Wales and parents- Father may be John Sherry.
Also would like to know all his children to Hannah Elizabeth "Annie" Haines.
Have
1.unnamed b1870
2.Amy Eliza  b. 21 Mar 1871 Pinjarra WA d. abt 1848/50 WA m. Richard Fletcher b. abt 1884 d. 27 3. Nov 1943 Williams WA m? and m. 1905 Thomas Williams.  b. 1881 SA
4. Henry "Harry Sherry have his birth and death records bot not marriage records to Minnie Waldock who he divorced.
5. Cecelia Elizabeth Sherry have her birth record but not marriages to unknown and Mr Cutten who was killed in Collie WA timber whim no marriage records.
6.Walter have his birth but no death or marriage to Dorrie.
7. Unnamed
8.Ada Agnes Sherry have her details
9.Stanley Beaufort no birth details or marriage details to Ivy Lilliee ?
10. Alice Melinda Sherry b. 20 Sep 1883
11. Emily Eveline Sherry b. 27 Jan 1886 William Bridge WA.
Will lookup FreeWA bdm also.
Also birth & death records of Hannah Elizabeth Haines dtr of William and Rachael Haines nee Heath b. abt 1851 Fremantle WA.
Henry Sherry may of been born abt 1838 Wales .
Where would Henry Sherry been buried after being hung in the Perth  WA Gaol 27 Oct 1885?
Found on Trove his trial and hanging.
and this

27 October 1885

Sherry, Henry (age: 47 / White) - Western Australia – Perth

murder – victim: Catherine Waldock – committed on 16 Sept. 1885 – sentenced on 7 October 1885

Sherry, a Bond man, murdered Catherine Waldock on 16 September 1885 at "The Williams". She was the wife of a local farmer at the Williams, and Sherry was also a farmer living in the neighbourhood. Sherry and the Waldocks seemed to have been on friendly terms and he appeared to have formed an attachment towards Mrs. Waldock. On the night of the murder, Mrs. Waldock went out to shoot some possums, accompanied by her two sons, Thomas (aged 10) and William (aged 12), when she was approached by Sherry with a gun. They had a short discussion, observed by the boys. He then pointed the gun at her, and when she turned away he fired, shooting her in the back. The boys alarmed their father and the neighbours, and Sherry was arrested on the same night. It seems that Mrs. Waldock had refused to elope with him, which had enraged him. He was sentenced to death at the Criminal Sittings of the Supreme Court at Perth on 7 October 1885 and was hanged at Perth Gaol on 27 October 1885. (Purdue, Legal Executions in Western Australia, p. 33-4; West Australian, Thursday, 8 October 1885, p. 3; Wednesday 28 October 1885)

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity
Sentence Severity

Sentenced to Life
Crime:    -
Convicted at:    Kent, Maidstone Assizes
Sentence term:    Life
Ship:    Lord Dalhousie
Departure date:    19th September, 1863
Arrival date*:    19th May, 1864
Place of arrival    Western Australia
Passenger manifest    Travelled with 270 other convicts
* Arrival date is estimated
References
Primary source:    Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 93, Class and Piece Number HO11/18, Page Number 573 (288)
Source description:    This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Cheers
Velcro

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WA Convicts
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 April 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census for the Longport Street County Prison in Canterbury, Kent, shows a "H.S.", Prisoner, unmarried, aged 22, Com. Lab. (common labourer), born Stourmouth, Kent.
(Piece 519, Folio 67, Page 4)

The 1851 census for Stourmouth, Kent, shows a Henry SHERRY aged 11, born Stourmouth, with his parents John, 38, farmer of 12 acres, born Stourmouth, Eliza, 38, born Hoath, Kent, and sister Eliza, 13, born Stourmouth.
(Piece 1631, Folio 413, Page 44)

Debra  :)

Offline velcro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 April 13 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debra

Velcro

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 April 13 00:41 BST (UK) »
Most of what your looking for can be found in the WA bmd re info on Henry and Hannah's children.

As for been executed i have come across some that have been buried in cemeteries with family and others buried at the prison. Maybe the death cert. might say where he was buried.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi seeking help with "Henry Sherry's birth abt.1838 Wales and parents- Father may be John Sherry.
Also would like to know all his children to Hannah Elizabeth "Annie" Haines.
Have
1.unnamed b1870
2.Amy Eliza  b. 21 Mar 1871 Pinjarra WA d. abt 1848/50 WA m. Richard Fletcher b. abt 1884 d. 27 3. Nov 1943 Williams WA m? and m. 1905 Thomas Williams.  b. 1881 SA
4. Henry "Harry Sherry have his birth and death records bot not marriage records to Minnie Waldock who he divorced.
5. Cecelia Elizabeth Sherry have her birth record but not marriages to unknown and Mr Cutten who was killed in Collie WA timber whim no marriage records.
6.Walter have his birth but no death or marriage to Dorrie.
7. Unnamed
8.Ada Agnes Sherry have her details
9.Stanley Beaufort no birth details or marriage details to Ivy Lilliee ?
10. Alice Melinda Sherry b. 20 Sep 1883
11. Emily Eveline Sherry b. 27 Jan 1886 William Bridge WA.
Will lookup FreeWA bdm also.
Also birth & death records of Hannah Elizabeth Haines dtr of William and Rachael Haines nee Heath b. abt 1851 Fremantle WA.
Henry Sherry may of been born abt 1838 Wales .
Where would Henry Sherry been buried after being hung in the Perth  WA Gaol 27 Oct 1885?
Found on Trove his trial and hanging.
and this

27 October 1885

Sherry, Henry (age: 47 / White) - Western Australia – Perth

murder – victim: Catherine Waldock – committed on 16 Sept. 1885 – sentenced on 7 October 1885

Sherry, a Bond man, murdered Catherine Waldock on 16 September 1885 at "The Williams". She was the wife of a local farmer at the Williams, and Sherry was also a farmer living in the neighbourhood. Sherry and the Waldocks seemed to have been on friendly terms and he appeared to have formed an attachment towards Mrs. Waldock. On the night of the murder, Mrs. Waldock went out to shoot some possums, accompanied by her two sons, Thomas (aged 10) and William (aged 12), when she was approached by Sherry with a gun. They had a short discussion, observed by the boys. He then pointed the gun at her, and when she turned away he fired, shooting her in the back. The boys alarmed their father and the neighbours, and Sherry was arrested on the same night. It seems that Mrs. Waldock had refused to elope with him, which had enraged him. He was sentenced to death at the Criminal Sittings of the Supreme Court at Perth on 7 October 1885 and was hanged at Perth Gaol on 27 October 1885. (Purdue, Legal Executions in Western Australia, p. 33-4; West Australian, Thursday, 8 October 1885, p. 3; Wednesday 28 October 1885)

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity
Sentence Severity

Sentenced to Life
Crime:    -
Convicted at:    Kent, Maidstone Assizes
Sentence term:    Life
Ship:    Lord Dalhousie
Departure date:    19th September, 1863
Arrival date*:    19th May, 1864
Place of arrival    Western Australia
Passenger manifest    Travelled with 270 other convicts
* Arrival date is estimated
References
Primary source:    Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 93, Class and Piece Number HO11/18, Page Number 573 (288)
Source description:    This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Cheers
Velcro

Velcro,

Have you already checked the validity of all of the information you are posting
I see conflicting information ... for example I see that a Henry SHERRY, convict no. 7538 arrived 28 Dec 1863, not May 1864 ....  that 28 Dec 1863 arrival for a Henry Sherry is listed as

Deceased  27 Oct 1885
Place of Death  Perth, prison, hanged

He was unmarried, a fruit salesman

Here's the link
http://www.fremantleprison.com.au/Pages/Convict.aspx

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline velcro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 02:48 BST (UK) »
Harry Sherry  didnt go to Fremantle Prison but hanged in the Perth gaol not Fremantle Prison.

Velcro

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 03:51 BST (UK) »
Harry Sherry  didnt go to Fremantle Prison but hanged in the Perth gaol not Fremantle Prison.

Velcro

Velcro did you at least look at the link that JM left for you?  :-\
There is information on that link about your Sherry.  ::)

Deceased   27 Oct 1885
Place of Death   Perth, prison, hanged

The  information is what was on the link JM kindly left for you.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 04:56 BST (UK) »
Giblet, Perth Gaol was not Fremantle Prison they are two different places. They didn't even build the gallows for hanging at Fremantle until 1888 when the Perth Gaol closed that year & transferred the remaining prisoners. That's why his records show his hanging & death at Perth Prison NOT Fremantle Prison.

Henry SHERRY was executed at the Perth Gaol, 27th October 1885. The police file is available online at the SLWA. The Perth Gaol is a museum & part of the Perth Cultural Precinct these days.

Velcro, how are you related to this family? I find it strange that you don't have any verified information including documents OR have been in contact with one of Henry's direct line descendants who has researched this family very well including documentation. One of them being David Sherry.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 05:07 BST (UK) »

Velcro

Excuse me please, may I thank giblet for noticing my post.   I am quite sure that I was not suggesting that Harry Sherry went to Fremantle Prison.   As I understand it, the website that I linked is funded by the Western Australian Government's Department of Finance. 

Adding, having read Merlin's post, I am also quite sure that Merlin is not suggesting I have mistaken Fremantle for Perth  ;D 

Velcro did you at least look at the link that JM left for you?  :-\

Have you already checked the validity of all of the information you are posting

Velcro, I pop links into my posts so that the OP and other posters reading the thread can follow up and do their own research and experience the pleasure at finding information about their own forebears directly.    Perhaps I am old fashioned in that respect, as I know how much enjoyment I have received over decades of family history research when I find something new about my own forebears.   So for example, despite having quite a deal of scrap-booked newspaper cuttings built up over decades, by much older family members, as well as by myself, I enjoy searching Trove online.    But I also enjoy going through the scrap-books and thinking about how young I was when I started reading newspapers for "genie" sightings, and I also enjoy going through those scrap books thinking about my late family members who started those scrap books. 

So I think about giving pointers to where to find information rather than actually providing my own version/interpretation of what the available information says.  As an aside, in that way I am not putting RChat at risk of being in breach of any copyright as I do not "copy paste".

Here's RChat's Aussie thread about
asking for LookUps
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,368728.0.html
and for some Copyright issues and a gentle reminder issued several years ago about copy paste
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,156350.0.html
Adding " You may not post copyrighted material on RootsChat without the written consent of the copyright owner, the detail of which must be included in your posting. If you are in doubt if something is copyright, then assume it is. "   

So I have understood that particular statement (re copyright) to mean that as RChatters, we each need written consent of the copyright owner, and we then need to detail that consent and not just the name of the copyright owner.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.