Author Topic: WA Convicts  (Read 3651 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: WA Convicts
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Velcro,

May I please ask how you are related to this particular family, is Harry your great great great (great etc) grandfather or just a minor twig on a side branch or perhaps someone you are researching for someone else ... or does he fit somewhere's in between .....

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/aus1900.html   scroll through to 27 Oct 1885 and read about Henry there..... 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 07:30 BST (UK) »
Giblet, Perth Gaol was not Fremantle Prison they are two different places. They didn't even build the gallows for hanging at Fremantle until 1888 when the Perth Gaol closed that year & transferred the remaining prisoners. That's why his records show his hanging & death at Perth Prison NOT Fremantle Prison.

Henry SHERRY was executed at the Perth Gaol, 27th October 1885. The police file is available online at the SLWA. The Perth Gaol is a museum & part of the Perth Cultural Precinct these days.

Velcro, how are you related to this family? I find it strange that you don't have any verified information including documents OR have been in contact with one of Henry's direct line descendants who has researched this family very well including documentation. One of them being David Sherry.

Oh i wasnt aware that i suggested he was executed at Freemantle. Im aware that i suggested that the poster might want to read the link left by JM as it contained information on Sherry. Im also aware that i highlighted the " Place of Death   Perth, prison, hanged" which would indicate that i know he didnt die in the Freemantle prison.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 07:40 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

I am the author of post # 4 and Velcro authored post # 5 which I think we are assuming is in reply to my post # 4.   So, perhaps Velcro could clear up any confusion and explain his/her post # 5 in light of the more recent posts and at least three RChatters concerns re that particular post # 5  :)

I can clearly see that Giblet and Merlin and myself have demonstrated that we three know that Fremantle is NOT Perth.   :)  and as Velcro is a WA resident, interested in family history studies then he/she knows that Fremantle is not Perth. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 02:23 BST (UK) »
For the benefit of all RChatters following this thread,

here's one of quite a few cuttings from TROVE  ;D

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3003590 The West Australian 31 Oct 1885, page 2  This cutting mentions burial of the body after the inquest ..... his making a will benefitting his wife and their six children .... noting the OP seems to indicate that Velcro has details on more than six so perhaps some had succumbed during infancy or childhood .....

Velcro would likely be aware that WA death certs prior to 1896 did not require the burial details to be included, so asked the question

Where would Henry Sherry been buried after being hung in the Perth  WA Gaol 27 Oct 1885?
Found on Trove his trial and hanging.

From the cutting I have linked perhaps it would be worthwhile for Velcro to ask the WA Coroners about their offices rules/regulations/practices in the 1880s with regard to inquests into disposal of the body.   I recall that Ned Kelly was hanged in the 1880s, in the colony of Victoria.  Perhaps WA followed similar practices to Victoria in that decade. ....

I notice that Velcro has been online at RChat since my post #11, but has not yet replied.   

Cheers,  JM

Offline Jafford100

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching my family tree and have just found that Henry Sherry is my 1st cousin 5X removed.
I live in Kent not far from Stourmouth where the Sherry family farm was located. Henry's mother Eliza is the sister of my 4x Great Grandmother Hester Petley .
Henry's case was big news in the local papers back in the day. I have read a few  about articles Henry and it appears that he had possibly served in the Crimean War. So while not defending his actions  maybe he had what we now know is PTSD.
It is all a terribly sad situation.
On the positive side , finding out about Henry means i might have some family connections  all be it distant cousins out in the Perth area. If there are any connections on here then please get in touch.
Many Thanks
Janice :)