Author Topic: Fylingdales Lookup  (Read 3409 times)

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fylingdales Lookup
« on: Saturday 06 April 13 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Can someone look up the following baptisms in Fylingdales please?

Ann Cockerill, baptised on 27 Sep 1813 daughter of William and Ann, and
Margaret, baptised 10 Aug 1815, same parents

Any other information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fylingdales Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

As mentioned to you by PM, I visited North Yorkshire Record Office yesterday and looked at the baptisms.  I should first mention that Cockerill has many different spellings in the Parish Registers – Cockril/ll, Cockeril/ll, Cockerell, etc as you are probably aware.

St Stephen, Fylingdales
Ann Cockerill – born 4 Sept 1813, bapt 27 Sept 1813, daughter of William & Ann, labourer of Brow.

Margaret Cockerill – bapt 10 August 1815, daughter of William & Ann, labourer of Brow.  (no date of birth for her)

Both baptised by [J]? Harrison, Minister. (The film of the Parish Register is very faint)

The other two children listed in the IGI who were baptised at St Mary, Whitby were:

John Cockril born 2 August 1801, baptised 6 August 1801, son of William & Ann, sailor of Whitby.

William Cockerill born 18 August 1806, baptised 19 August 1806, son of William & Ann, sailor of Whitby.

I also looked at the marriage in the IGI for William & Ann which was at Fylingdales on 1 August 1799.
William Cockerill of this Parish farmer and batchelor 19, Ann Allen of the Parish of Scalby spinster 25. By Banns, by Ch. Hepworth, Minister. Witnesses: Wm Brown, Eliz Tindale, both wits signed.

The marriages appear in a list in a register, not as usually set out at that time with 3 or 4 to a page.  There was no space for the bride and groom to sign/make their mark but it was clear that the witnesses had each signed.

Possible baptism for William – born 23 August 1780, baptised 24 Sept 1780 Fylingdales, son of George & Margaret Cockrill, farmer of Brow.

I looked at the Scalby baptisms for Ann Allen (it is a handwritten transcript done years ago, minimum of info. No microfilm at NYRO) but couldn’t find anything.  Also nothing for Cloughton, again a handwritten transcript.

There are no other clues as to whether this couple are the parents of both lots of children, or if William decided to try his luck at being a sailor for a while before reverting to labouring.  Some of my great-greats who lived in that area found work at the alum mines and works at Peak, near Ravenscar. 

Brow is sometimes referred to as Stoupe Brow or Stow Brow.  You may know that it is an area just south of Robin Hood's Bay and Stoupe Beck runs out to the sea over Stoupe Sands.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Tillypeg

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Tillypeg,

How can I thank you - utterly amazing!  Thank you so much for your time, energy, skill and kindness.  It is highly appreciated, especially as I am not curently based in the UK, so a trip to the NYRO is really out of the question.

I have just seen this and it is late, so my head is a little fuzzled but yes, I suppose it is plausible that William tried his luck at sailing ... I note he married as a farmer but seems to have moved down the social ladder to labouring little over a decade later, so perhaps the farm was lost, he tried his hand at sailing and then return back to his village.  Difficult to say as the boys' names do run into the next generation in the children of Ann Cockerill (1813-1849), who is my ancestor, but then surely those names run in lots of families at that time?

You have given me a great deal to think about and mull over.

I should note that ages at marriage for William (born c. 1780) and Ann (c. 1775) tie in almost exactly with the ages of burials given on the NBI3 for a William Cockerill buried in Fylingdales on 13 November 1855 aged 75 and then for Ann Cockerill on 25 December 1836 aged 61.

Thank you also for looking up Ann Allen's baptism, regardless of the success you had, the sentiment is much appreciated.  Thank you.

In your PM you mentioned you did look further into the family of William Cockerill baptised in 1780 - if you can share that also, it would be appreciated.

I think now I need to look into wills!  The avenues of research continue.  Thanks again,

And kind regards,

Peter

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kind comments, I appreciate your appreciation!

Here are the other details I noted:-

(from transcript)
Marriage at Fylingdales 26 Oct 1767
George Cockerill [Cockrill] and Margaret Willis [Willass].  Banns, both of this Parish. Witnesses: Jas. Cockrill and Richd. Wilson.

Variations in surnames = note in transcript states the differences in banns and marriage entries. I didn't look at the films to check.

Baptisms:
John bapt 7 Aug 1768, to George of Brow
Elizabeth bapt 15 Oct 1769, to George of Brow.
Sarah bapt 17 Feb 1771, to George of Bay.
George bapt 20 Nov 1774, to George of Brow.
Margaret born 13 May 1779, bapt 13 June 1779, to George & Margaret, farmer of Brow.
William born 23 Aug 1780, bapt 24 Sep 1780, to George & Margaret, farmer of Brow.
No others found to end 1787.

Burials:
Elizabeth dau of George 28 May 1781 aged 12 yrs. of Brow
Mary dau of George 4 Apr 1785, infant of Brow.  (I couldn’t see a baptism for her)
Mary dau of [blank] Cockerill 5 Apr 1786 age [blank] of Stoupe Brow  (so could belong to one of the other Cockerill families)
George son of George Cockrill 11 Jan 1789 aged 14, farmer of Brow.
No others to end 1792.

I have looked at the MIs for St Stephen's, Fylingdales and there are some headstones for Cockerills but not your William & Ann. 

Good luck with your research,
Regards,
Tillypeg

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 April 13 23:33 BST (UK) »
 Thank you again Tillypeg.

So kind of you - thank you!

Peter

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 April 13 17:59 BST (UK) »
Dear Tillypeg, just reviewing all of this ... thank you again!  So very kind.

May I ask if you still have a copy of the Fylingdale MI's, could you see if the families here have headstones?  No worry if not, as I can do that myself soon, but I thought I would ask.

Cheers, and thank you again!

Peter

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 April 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

As I mentioned in my reply on 11th April, there are no headstones listed for your William & Ann. 

The only Cockerills listed are:

Alice, daughter of Richard & Ann Cockerill of Fylingthorpe who died 17 Oct 1869 aged 10 yrs, and Annie their daughter who died 30 June 1883 aged 26 yrs.  Also the above Richard who died 2 January 1883 aged 59 yrs and the above Ann who died 19 March 1898 aged 77 yrs.

Betsy Cockerill, daughter of William & Sarah Newton, died 1 March 1865 aged 43 yrs.

William Cockerill who died 16 December 1859 aged 70 yrs.

I have a note to look at the burial register entries at NYRO for your William and Ann next time I visit, not sure when.

Regards,
Tillypeg

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 April 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tillypeg!  No rush at all but thank you again!

So very kind and helps me a great deal!

Peter
x

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Have been to the Record Office again and here are the burials:-

25 Dec 1836 Ann Cockrill of Peak aged 61 at St Stephen’s, Fylingdales.

13 Nov 1855 William Cockerill of Stow Brow aged 75 at St Stephen’s, Fylingdales.

19 Dec 1859 William Cockerill of Thorpe aged 70 at St Stephen’s, Fylingdales.

The ones you mentioned in your recent PM to me:-

18 Sept 1787 George Cockerill, Yeoman, buried at Goathland.  (No age stated)

19 May 1793 Mary, wife of Wm Cockeril, buried at Danby.  (No age stated)

There are no transcripts or microfilms at NYRO that cover the burial at Hackness of George on 4 April 1820 so I was unable to check that.

Hope this is of some use,
Regards,
Tillypeg