Author Topic: MORROW and MORNING  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MORROW and MORNING
« on: Sunday 07 April 13 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have come across a family who seem to have used two different surnames. Morning and Morrow and the name originates in Ireland.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the surnames or may know of any reason why the family may have used both versions of the surname.

I recently was helped by folk on the New Zealand forum to find a birth of a Thomas Adam Morning in New Zealand in 1865. In fact he was born as Thomas Morrow, and later changed his name.

His parents emigrated from Scotland although both his father and mother were of Irish extraction. In the 1861 Census in Scotland, his parents an Adam and Elizabeth Morrow are found in Renfrewshire. In 1851 the same family in Renfrewshire is using the surname Morning. Also, the father, Adam, had a brother who also seems to have used both versions of the surname in the 1850s and 1860s. It is not a transcription error. 

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the names from Ireland or may know of some reason why they may have changed their surname around that time.

Kind Regards

Morris

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MORROW and MORNING
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 April 13 09:42 BST (UK) »

Looking forward to a good response from someone to your post, I've a similar situation whereby two surnames in my family in Northern Ireland 'morphed' quite a bit in the period from early to late 1800s (ie. not just minor spelling variations).

Probably like yourself, I've read all about the generic reasons for surnames changing, eg. the folk who changed surnames for social / economic advancement, the simple adoption of local nicknames over time, the combination of illiteracy and rushed bureacracy when 'official' records were being taken (eg. during censuses), and all that notwithstanding the complex issue of the anglisation of Irish names.

Here's hoping someone can crack the Morrow / Morning example.  :)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 April 13 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   In 1848 Adam MORNING married Elizabeth Shaw in Bushmills Presbyterian Church, Co. Antrim. There are several Morning families in this area in the 1840/1850s.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 April 13 10:11 BST (UK) »
In archaic English, Morrow and Morning have the same meaning (cf Tomorrow = On the morrow).
Perhaps the change of name was to appear "less" Irish, and "more" Scottish/English?

My OH's family include Morrow from Monaghan.
I haven't done much research on that side, due to M-i-L's insistence on keeping family things "in the family"!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Morrow+Morning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 23 13:39 BST (UK) »
I am the great granddaughter of Thomas Morning (born Morrow) my understanding was that there was a family failing out and so he changed his name. Will try ask my father if he remembers more.