Author Topic: Fathers movements  (Read 637 times)

Offline Wee lassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fathers movements
« on: Sunday 07 April 13 18:02 BST (UK) »
I am interested in my fathers movements during WW2. He didn't like to talk about it and any information I have is vague.He was from Edinburgh and told me that he was at an army reserve camp when war was declared. I have a picture of him in Q battery 34th training regiment of the Royal Artillery in Preston in Oct 1940. I know that he was twice in troup carriers in Scapa Flow that were torpedoed and survived despite not being able to swim. He was also in Greece at some point. Any other information would be much appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Fathers movements
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 April 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Any other information would be much appreciated

His name?   ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Wee lassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 April 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry that would help!!! George Ramage Kennedy

Offline jacksun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 May 13 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, very difficult to get any info of this sort unless you know what Regiment/Battalion/Unit he was in and when. If you have that info then war diaries will be of help.

Your best bet is to apply for his service records, and once they arrive (after £30 and about 12 months of waiting) folks can help you decipher them, identify his units, and then you can track down war diaries. They aren't person by person detailed, but they paint a better picture of what his Regt/Bn/unit was doing on each day.

Wayne