Author Topic: Birth Harry Horner Lookup Bishopsgarth, Wakefield  (Read 4378 times)

Offline peterdwalker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Harry Horner Lookup Bishopsgarth, Wakefield
« on: Tuesday 09 April 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
Ann Maria Williams was born in Co. Durham on 7 December 1882. She married a Henry Clarke Braithwaite on 15 October 1906 but was called Annie Maria. Mr Braithwaite in the 1911 census said he was a widower. 

In the 1901 census William Henry (known as Harry) is shown with his wife and young daughter at The Lodge, Bishopgarth. Wakefield. His wife died in Hexham in the first quarter of 1907 and his daughter died in Wakefield district in the second quarter of 1907.

A passenger list shows a William Hy (Henry) Horner coachman, Mrs Horner (no initials) and Hy (Harry) Horner infant sailing to New Zealand on 18 September 1908. I cannot find a marriage for WHH and Annie between his wife’s death and when he emigrated. Neither can I find a birth for Harry who I am told was born on 30 April 1908. It is possible that Annie gave birth in the Wakefield area. Could anyone look at the baptism records for Wakefield, possibly trying Bishopsgarth first? I am also posting a similar message on the Durham site in case she gave birth back at her parents’ home.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Harry Horner Lookup Bishopsgarth, Wakefield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 21:42 BST (UK) »
Can you explain your request a bit more clearly.Maybe I,m having a senior moment but if this wife and daughter of Braithwaite died who is Wm H Horner?Its a bit confusing ???
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Neither can I find a birth for Harry who I am told was born on 30 April 1908.

Henry Horner Braithwaite, born 2nd quarter 1908, Wakefield 9c, 42.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:18 BST (UK) »
Can you explain your request a bit more clearly.Maybe I,m having a senior moment but if this wife and daughter of Braithwaite died who is Wm H Horner?Its a bit confusing ???

I think what is being suggested is that the Annie who married Henry Clarke Braithwaite is also the Mrs ? Horner on the passenger list with William Henry Horner and the infant Henry Horner.

And that on the 1911 census Henry Clarke Braithwaite was not actually a widower - his wife had left him for Henry Horner, whose wife and child had died in 1907.

I hope this is the correct interpretation  ::)

As I suggested in my reply on the Durham Board, since you know that Henry Clarke Braithwaite was alive in 1911, you are unlikely to find a marriage between Annie Braithwaite and William Henry Horner between 1907 and 1908, and if a marriage did take place it would have been bigamous.

Offline peterdwalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
Isobelruss sorry for any confusion. It also did not help that I missed out the horner suname in paragrph 2. As JenB says Annie must have left Mr Braithwaite for Mr Horner.

JenB I think you have solved the problem. So who was the father Braithwaite or Horner? Horner i guess.

Peter

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
So who was the father Braithwaite or Horner? Horner i guess. .

The birth certificate should give you the information you need.

Offline Harry2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 April 13 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB, I am the son of the abovenamed. You answered  a query kindly put up by PeterDWalker. You and Peter have led us to a birth cert that we had long ago decided never existed. I never dreamed that my grandmother, Ann Maria Braithwaite cum Horner had this history. She seemed a very Victorian lady. It has the making of a historical novel when you think in Oct 1906, she married Harry Clarke Braithwaite, had a child (my father) by him or William Henry Horner in April 1908, and then eloped with Wm Henry as an immigrant leaving London in Sept 1908. They had a very successful life after that in their new country. So we have the birth cert and the entry on that of Harry Horner Braithwaite is another puzzle as to its true meaning. The solution of one mystery has led to this speculation when the trail of documents via PeterDWalker came to light. Many thanks for your posting. It has opened up a previously closed door in our family history. Regards Harry2

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 April 13 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Harry 2 and welcome to Rootschat!

Jen B should get a mail advising you've posted on this thread, but if you post a couple more times - just reply here twice saying Hello! will do it, and then you can click on the green scroll under Jen's name and you will be able to send her a Personal Message.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 April 13 21:12 BST (UK) »
Jen B should get a mail advising you've posted on this thread, but if you post a couple more times - just reply here twice saying Hello! will do it, and then you can click on the green scroll under Jen's name and you will be able to send her a Personal Message.

There's no need for Harry to send me a PM - all I did was find a birth entry I've got no personal interest in it at all  :)