Author Topic: Aughton Marriage  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Vokesy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aughton Marriage
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 July 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
Robert Ogram Vokes was my Great Great Grandad also from Garton , the family crop up I pocklington then around 1890 in Hull , I have notes from a family member (who's middle name is Ogram) explaining where she thinks the Ogram came from , I'm sure George Vokes and Ambrose and Mary are in these notes , I'll dig them out

Offline neilbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 July 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant news.

Can't wait to see what you find.

Thanks.

Neil

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 July 16 15:21 BST (UK) »
Just taking time out to fill in some info on my FH programme and found Ambrose (1816) on the later censuses. I'm sure you probably both have already noticed, but, on the 1861 and 1871 censuses, he is described in the final column as deaf.

I nearly didn't find him on the 1891 census (he died in 1892) because the enumerator helpfully entered his name as Hamrose!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline neilbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 July 16 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill,

Many thanks for the information.

I hadn't actually looked for Ambrose on the 1891 census, but did pick up on him being registered as deaf in 1871.

The cause of death on 24/5/1892 was listed on his certificate as Brain Softening Senile Decay.

From the recent messages sent by Vokesy we might just be getting that little bit closer to finding out the origins of the name Ogram, which would be fantastic.

Bye for now.

Neil

Offline Vaux1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 July 23 22:11 BST (UK) »
I found an Elizabeth Ogerham  father Robert Ogerham original spelling changed to Ogram from Winestead married to Thomas Vaux High Catton. Married at Ottringham near by.  Living in Patrington. Census 1841shows Robert and George living there. I am from this area and found in my treasure house Robert Edmund born to Mary Walks 1832 Garton (Vaux/Vokes) marked as an illegitimate child. Mary is their daughter I think. Could this be the same Mary married to Ambrose ?

Offline neilbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 July 23 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Vaux1,
By jove, I think you may have cracked not one mystery, but also a second which I didn't realise existed!
It was a revelation to discover that Mary Walks (my GGG Grandmother) and her father Thomas must have been incorrectly named on her marriage certificate to Ambrose Barnett and were more than likely from the Vokes family.
The Ogerham last name changing to Ogram for her mother Elizabeth looks to be very plausible indeed and would indeed explain the middle name of Ogram being used in my Barnett family tree.
I do have a certified copy of the Mary & Ambrose marriage, but I can't lay my hands on it right now because all of my family history files are tucked away owing to a major building project at home.  I assume that Mary would have been illiterate and not recognised Vokes being transcribed as Walks and therefore signed the certificate with an X.
Very interesting to hear that she had an illegitimate son at the age of 14 named Robert Edmund.
I'd forgotten about this thread from 7 years ago and can't thank you enough for making such a breakthrough!
Neil