Author Topic: Notts FHS CD query  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Notts FHS CD query
« on: Wednesday 10 April 13 21:56 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any links with Notts FHS, or recent experience of their CDs, to help me with something?

I have the baptism/marraige/burial pack from 2009-2010.It won't work on my new computer; apparently this is due to compatibility issues, but the new CDs (out March this year) will be compatible. An email response from someone associated with Notts FHS suggested that I needed to return my old CD - maybe to get a discount or something?

I'm rather unwilling to pay the full price for the new edition CD again, but I don't mind paying for the upgrade CD. However I need to know that it contains ALL the info on the old one and not just the extra parishes that now appear on the list.

Several emails later and I am no clearer about this. Apparently the person dealing with my query is a little bogged down with other troubles (hope all is well soon if you're reading this!)

So - does the upgrade (which costs a lot less than the main CD) contain ALL the relevant info and is available at the lesser price to those who've previously bought the main CD (and hence the reason for returning the old CD - to prove I have bought it!). Or is the upgrade just a "patch" to add info to the old CD - in which case it won't work as I can't use the old CD on my computer.

I hope this query is clear as I'm beginning to confuse myself!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Notts FHS CD query
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
I can't be certain as I haven't yet got the upgrade myself, but I'm quite sure that the upgrade is no different to if you purchased the new CDs for the full price. You just get it for a discounted price as you are a repeat customer.

Alexander

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 13 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

I didn't have to return my old CD's this time although I have had to in the past. Have you been told you have to?  I ordered mine online and there was no mention of it. 

Yes it does contain all the stuff from the old CD

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 13 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie.... :)

Just to add to Alexander & Carol's comments....

When we had a new computer quite some time ago my version of the Cd's didn't work either as the new computer was windows 7 and 64 bit which older version of the disks didn't support.

The new version works fine now; I just ordered the upgrade online and didn't send any disks back.
The baptisms and burials have the new data, but the marriage data hasn't been added to, so will be the same as your old disks,but they have upgraded the operating system for it to work with newer computers.

You can check here to see if your new computer is compatible here = http://www.nottsfhs.org.uk/cds-a-dvds.html

Sheila.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 April 13 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Go to this link and there are links telling you what parishes have been transcribed and updated there are some for marriages.

http://www.nottsfhs.org.uk/cds-a-dvds.html
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 April 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
many thanks folks :)
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)