Author Topic: Ware - Independent Chapel  (Read 10591 times)

Offline jdap96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ware - Independent Chapel
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 12 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Ann,
I see that your post was dated some time ago, but I have only just come across it.
In researching my own family I have been indexing the diary of John Carswell who on two occasions lived in Ware before emigrating to Canada.
He was a deacon at the chapel and formed a friendship with a Joslyn (Joslin, Joscelyn  ) family.
He recorded the following:

October 16, (1831) Sunday - fair. Mrs. Joslin died at age 67.
October 22, (1831) Saturday - fair, showery 55° - Mrs. Joslin buried; Mr. Joslin died February 12, 1828 age 64.
April 17, (1832) Tuesday - dull, cold, Miss Elizabeth Joscelyn died at age 25.

He also recorded occasions where Mrs J and Miss J went to tea.

You are probably well on from this research by now, but I post this just in case it helps.

David

Piper (ESS), Harvey (ESS), Dixon (ESS), King(ESS), Mabbs (ESS). Crisp (SFK), Copland (SFK), Primrose (SFK), Wells (SFK), Aldous (SFK).

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 12 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Wow amazing stuff!! these are certainly my Josolyne's :-)  If you come across any other info please let me know!

I actually went to Ware and Wareside last Thursday (after all these years!) and have taken a photo of what I believe used to be the Chapel, it has a plaque outside which is dated 1778 (if I remember correctly) - I will post the photo later tonight when I get home.  The chapel is in Church Street which was formally Dead Lane.

Many thanks again - really appreciated!!

Anna
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline jdap96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 March 12 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna,

At least you know what the weather was like on each of those days! :)

Missed from the earlier post:
April 26, (1832) Thursday - rain all day, Miss Jocelyn buried

David
Piper (ESS), Harvey (ESS), Dixon (ESS), King(ESS), Mabbs (ESS). Crisp (SFK), Copland (SFK), Primrose (SFK), Wells (SFK), Aldous (SFK).

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Pardon me for butting in on your thread Anna but I'm also very interested in Ware Ind. Chapel and would like to know if jdap96 has seen mention of the surname Medcalf in the good rev'd book.

Oh - excuse my manners - Welcome to Rootschat David.

Cheers

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jdap96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Tut, tut Di,
Mind your manners!
Not much to tell you except that a Mrs Medcalf was a member of a fairly active "Dorcas" group who met in each others houses on a sort of rota. She hosted in 1832 and again in 1833.  An E Medcalf attended a church meeting 30th Dec 1831.

However there is a bit more with the alternative spelling METcalf. A Miss metcalf had a school of sorts as there is a sparse entry that reads: "(1830) February 15, Monday - dull, cold. - 31° Henry to school - Miss Metcalf’s [ aged 5]". Henry was one of John Carswell's children.

Another entry; "(1831) December 7, Wednesday - showery.-Teachers meeting to choose (Sunday School) superintendents- Mr. Metcalf, M. Johns, E Metcalf, Tate.

I am guessing but is E Medcalf the Miss who ran the school?

If you have anything to add it might help in my narrative.

Good luck in your searching.

David

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi David - Brilliant lot of information - thanks  :-*
They are ALL my family members despite the incorrect spelling of the surname.

I love the weather reports  ;D

I've not heard of the "Dorcas" group. Wonder if that was related to prayer readings etc or just a ladies group.

Elizabeth, Mary, Martha and Hannah (sisters) all ran the Blue Coat School for many years.

A brother (the Mr Medcalf mentioned) owned the local Apothecary and was very much involved with the local community and was on the board for the poorhouse etc

I have a lot of information about the family if you need anything further.

If you happen to find anything further or if you plan on publishing or recording the entire diary of John Carswell I'd love to read the parts related to his time in Ware.

Many thanks

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jdap96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Di,
A dorcas Society or group was:
"a society of women of a church whose work it is to provide clothing for the poor. Origin: 1825–35; named after Dorcas in the Acts of the Apostles."

A word of caution. If you Google dorcas Society you will first hit Wikipedia where it implies that the Society was first formed in the Isle of Man in 1834, to alleviate the post cholera crisis of 1832.
Not so. The practice was probably started around 1825 and was certainly in full swing in Ware by 1830 or maybe even earlier. Further detail is hard to come by.

Thanks for the school info.

Maybe you can now help me. you may have come across a poorhouse in Hunsdon when checking your Medcalfs. it was at a house called Pipers in Drury Lane, renamed Orchards after the closure of the poorhouse. The reason for my interest is that John Carswell's wife was Sarah Piper, and she spent a lot of time visiting Hunsdon, walking the 3 to 4 miles across the fields. Never discount a co-incidence!

david

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry David....I will get the photo uploaded - by the time I get home the study has been taken over by my youngest who seems to think my computer is faster than his!

While I was in Ware, I bought a book on the town from a second hand book store - it's from the 1950's but has information on residents, crimes etc from way back when - I will see if any of your research names pop up in the pages.

Anna
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lady Di from what I remember of our meet your manners were immpecable!!

Welcome David what a treasure you have  has it got any Lamberts in its pages Please?

Sandie

Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk