Author Topic: St Owen's  (Read 2888 times)

Offline charlottecoates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Owen's
« on: Thursday 11 April 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
I wish to look at St Owen's parish records, unfortunately the PRO is only open 1 week a month. Not the week we will be in the area! Are there other places to see the records? The PRO office were not that helpful. Most of my family are from that area so it would be great to spend sometime on the records. If not does anyone know if it is possible to buy the records. I have checked the Forest of Dean web site but typically my area isn't covered
Thank you

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Owen's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 April 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you were to give the names and information of the people you are looking for, Roots Chatters could possibly help you.

Offline charlottecoates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 13 16:22 BST (UK) »
Not a bad idea except there are quite a few Moreton's I need to sort out. We are in the area in Aug and it seemed an ideal time to sort the little dears out
If I have no joy in finding the records personally I will certainly use your suggestion

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
There is no parish church in St Owens. The church was was so badly damaged in the Civil War it had to be demolished and was not rebuilt.
There was a graveyard attached to the church but this is now just an open space with no gravestones.
I do not know if the parish records - prior to 1660 - still exist, or if Herefordshire Archives hold them.
You need to know which of the surrounding parish records you need to look in. Normally for the people in St Owens it was the nearby St Peters.
Herefordshire Family History Society have published various indexes which may well help you find where you should be looking. These can be ordered via their website.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 April 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
There is no parish church in St Owens. The church was was so badly damaged in the Civil War it had to be demolished and was not rebuilt.
There was a graveyard attached to the church but this is now just an open space with no gravestones.
I do not know if the parish records - prior to 1660 - still exist, or if Herefordshire Archives hold them.
You need to know which of the surrounding parish records you need to look in. Normally for the people in St Owens it was the nearby St Peters.
Herefordshire Family History Society have published various indexes which may well help you find where you should be looking. These can be ordered via their website.

this has fooled me before, the church was demolished after the civil war but parish records indexed under st owen do still exist until the late 1700's, both on familysearch and ,according to the national archive site, are held at Hereford record office, st peter is now known sometimes as st peter with st owen.
familysearch may be bishops transcripts, but even so I am still confused

added, a few moretons in there

Offline charlottecoates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 April 13 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information. I hadn't thought of Hereford family history society.
Will see what I find there.