Author Topic: Handwriting Issue  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Handwriting Issue
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 April 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
From Wikipedia.........

"a mustard plaster is a poultice of mustard seed powder spread inside a protective dressing and applied to the chest or abdomen to stimulate healing. In times past and present, the mixture was spread onto a cloth and applied to the chest or back.

Mustard oil irritates mucous membranes; therefore, excessive internal use has been known to cause stomach problems and kidney irritation"
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 April 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
So that does seem to imply that it would be used externally, rather than being supped.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 April 13 13:28 BST (UK) »
sitting on a swing?

vv.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 April 13 15:05 BST (UK) »
Sniffing chloroform ?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 April 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
That certainly sounds possible, Carol, as the poor chap was dying.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 April 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
My vote goes for ....resting on a form...

It bothers me though that the end of 'form' doesn't just trail off but seems to have a very deliberate letter after the 'm'.

And I wonder if 'resting' is the word that would have been used in this situation.

modifed:  Now I've talked myself out of the word resting - is he ......suffering on a form...?
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 April 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
I agree, Sami, that he is doing something on a form... presumably as he is close to death it would be something passive rather than active, poor fellow.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 April 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
Since we're on page 3 now, maybe I should explain why I said in reply #1 that I thought it says 'sitting on a form'. :)

The writer has lots of stray marks at the end of words, whether the last letter is a 'd' or 'e' or 'm' or whatever. The stray mark at the end of 'followed' (the word directly above 'sitting') drops below the line and bisects 'sitting'. This stray mark is somewhat similar to the one at the end of 'looked' three lines above, but the writer was more careful there.

The first letter of the word that is 'sitting' is almost certainly an 's' (comparing it to the other words beginning with an 's'. If you ignore the mark below the line from the 'd' in 'followed' which I described in the preceeding paragraph, then it looks very much like there are 2 't's in the middle of that word. That leaves us with pretty much only 2 options: setting and sitting. As he is on a verandah, on a form, with his face in his hands, the logical conclusion is he is sitting.

I agree that the end of the word 'form' is written carelessly, but many of the words in this document have similar stray marks at the end. The writer was obviously writing quickly. When I write quickly, I tend to not finish words properly either.

Alexander

P.S. I've included an excerpt again below so we do not have to keep going back to page 1.

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 April 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have only just come upon this enquiry.

For what it is worth I agree with Freckneale that the words are ' sitting on a form ' ;)