Author Topic: Handwriting Issue  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Handwriting Issue
« Reply #27 on: Friday 12 April 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
I agree, I have always been of the opinion that it was 'sitting on a form'.... What a sad story, poor fellow.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 12 April 13 22:55 BST (UK) »
Freckleneale has I think drawn it to a sensible conclusion and I agree ' sitting on a form'.

But maeeye - may I ask what the passage relates too? It's such a sad way to have to end ones life this way.
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, please!  Could you tell us more about the story and how the poisoning happened.  It is such a moving tale and so poignant, I certainly would like to know more about the circumstances.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline maeeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:37 BST (UK) »
Good Morning all
Firstly let me say thank you once again for all the help given on this issue. It is interesting to read the different ideas on what has been written.
To that end I went back over the other testimonies I have on OBrien's death and found another reference to the issue at hand. I will attach it to this reply. I think it is clear it says "sitting on a ? on the back verandah"
I think in view of all the help given that I would just explain a little of what this all refers to.
It was in 1923 that Constable OBrien was to appear in Court to face Departmental charges of misconduct. It was likely he would of been stood down from the job.
All that saw him on the morning of the Court case testified that he appeared happy and had made plans for the future in case he was stood down.
He went to the butchers at 8 am that morning and got meat for breakfast, he lived in Police Barracks and he dined with at least on other officer that morning.
He had called at 3 hotels that morning and had 1 drink or Brandy at each.
By 10 am he was gravely ill.
Numerous officers saw him on the verandah of the Police Barracks and all heard him say "I've got a bait". "I got a bait" "I have been baited" 
The reports differ slightly in the telling of how he said he had been "baited" (my expression).
He was desperately trying to vomit, to bring up the poison. He was given a salt and water concoction to help him vomit, then the Dr arrived and gave him an injection that would also do the same thing.
However he started fitting and was having trouble breathing and it was decided to take him to the hospital in a motor car.

OBrien was quoted as saying“Doctor, can you get me out of this”? “Yes” the Doctor replied. “This is an injection to make you vomit. You’ve got poison”.
O’Brien then said “This is what a man gets for falling out with people”. He then said again to the Doctor “I will stand my trial for murder when I get over this”
When he was taken to the hospital he wanted them to drive up to the front door of the hospital so he could walk in, but he was too ill and had to be carried in.
He died about 15 mins after getting to the hospital.
So at 10am he appeared fit and well, by 11.40 am he was dead.
The poison was deemed to be strychnine.
His death was deemed a Suicide.
He was buried the day after his death.
His parents were never notified of his death, his mother read in the newspaper about the death of a Constable O'Brien at Cloncurry, she wrote to the Police Force inquiring if it was her son. It was.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the additional information.  I would be interested to know where this happened, if you wouldn't mind telling us.

Regards
GS

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
What a sad story!  :(

I don't know all the details but I didn't expect the ruling of death to be suicide.
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for the extra information maeeye - such a sad and intriguing story. It certainly raises questions.

Maggie  :)
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:55 BST (UK) »
I must admit I was surprised that it was adjudged a suicide.  Very sad and not a little strange.

Offline sandra Bee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 April 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Looking again at the writing it now looks like to me.
Sitting on a futon.
Sandra